Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 09:10 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,009,439 times

Advertisements

if anyone....

Dog shot by Bellingham officer | www.kirotv.com

(Please try to ignore what may or may not be the breed in this particular story...that is decidedly NOT where I'm going with this.)

But, look at the story. People are playing frisbee with a dog, and someone inadvertently (presumably) leaves a gate open, and said dog runs out toward a police officer who has been handling an issue several houses over. At first blush, the police officer feels threatened by a 70 pound-ish dog running toward him.

What should he do? I mean, obviously, the "stop or I'll shoot" warning won't work. He doesn't know this dog. Should he have to wait and see what happens? (Or do what I tell people who first meet my guy and ignore him?)

What prompted this, for me, is that the whole idea of "unfortunate series of events" seems to have been lost with a lot of people. I'm currently working with my guy (who is not any of the "scary" breeds), but I know, and am scared of, people's reactions to him when he gets into his "zone". I'm sure he doesn't mean any harm, but I also realize that others may not be so sure. Actually, when we're driving, I do think of what I would do if I was pulled over and a police officer came to the front passenger window of my car. For those reasons, I am extremely careful when he's outside or anywhere outside of my place, for that matter. If, God forbid, something should happen, I can't imagine blaming others for interpreting his actions differently than I would. Aggression is aggression.

Taxpayer dollars may have to be spent to defend this case. IMO, just because someone believes that their dog is nothing more than a "foot warmer" doesn't mean that others should see it in the same way in a split second, when they have to consider their own safety.

In my mind, this is just a sad case, all around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 09:54 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,079 times
i vote the policeman is to blame.

even if the officer is telling the truth and the citizens are lying(and thats a big if)
try pepperspray? billyclub? warning shot even..not immediate shot to the face.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:12 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
I side with safak!

Old 01-12-2012, 10:42 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,675,099 times
Right now, only the officer knows the details since there were no eyewihtnesses to the events. However, even if someone saw the incident, they would need to be in both tthe physical and mental postion that officer was in. Many of us have been in situations where a dog was coming upon us and I'm sure the chain of events were a lot different as it was actually happening versus how it seemed if nothing happened.

The two issues I have of concern was if the dog was part of the physical play that was occuring when the incident happened? A dog involved in a game of fetch and chase the frissbee with a group of people could very well have been hyped to a level above that of a foot warmer. The second issue that appears to have been lost or ommitted in some reports is the barking that was heard before the officer fired his weapon. Is it possble that the foot warmer's vocal experssions may have been a contributing factor to the chain of event?

Old 01-12-2012, 11:23 PM

Read the comments below the article.

Quote:
Posted by skiattle at 8:09 p.m. January 12, 2012
This doesn't pass the smell test. Why was there no report in the logs. The only notice is the KIRO story. The officer left the scene, this was a discharge of a duty weapon, inside the city limits. There has to be command staff at the scene and an investigation. Everyone around this incident , eyewitnesses said that this the incident did not occur as being told by the BPD. This isn't going away. I am really bothered by the fact that I did trust the BPD . But the SWAT incident then this is disturbing.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:42 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
IF he didnt have a gun He would have waited to see the dogs intent! Jumped in his car! Maybe kicked him! The Cop NEEDS his badge taken!

Old 01-13-2012, 12:58 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,126,337 times
I'm sorry but when a 60-70 lb dog comes charging at you you only have seconds to respond. The officer did the right thing. The owner is responsible for allowing the dog to run out of the gate. This was irresponsible on her part and sadly the dog paid the price for its lack of training.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:43 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
IMHO the Cop most likely would have shot the owner! Would you be saying this IF the guy wasnt a cop? This cop has a short fuse & doent need to have a gun!

Old 01-13-2012, 10:29 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,675,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Read the comments below the article.
Thats just some person opinion of events just like its would be quoting something written here as if it really adds some authority to what is being said

There are reports available for this thats how I know it happened at Alabama just off Racine. maybe that person was too stupid to do anything beyond read that article and make stupid assumptions about what had happened even though they probably were not there and have no idea what occurred. and you want me to take that persons opinion as some type of factual documentation?

Old 01-13-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Thats just some person opinion of events just like its would be quoting something written here as if it really adds some authority to what is being said
Actually, those same details appear in many of the comments of other articles about the incident.

Sometimes the news doesn't report all of the facts, for whatever reason, and it often takes community pressure to get the real story told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
...and you want me to take that persons opinion as some type of factual documentation?
I think it's worthy of further investigation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs