Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 08:41 PM

159 posts, read 355,871 times

Advertisements

A Minnesota State Representative has stated that he will introduce a bill in 2008 to ban five specific breeds of dogs statewide.

Check out the original thread in the CD Minnesota forum here Dog Attacks Prompts Call For Ban On Some Breeds

Last edited by MacFan; 09-11-2007 at 10:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 08:49 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,683,616 times
Wow. So the thugs/scum sub-humans getting off the hook will only choose another breed to ransack.
Funny, no mention of scumbag humans getting any penalties for programming their dogs to be aggressive!

They should be half as aggressive with gun possession issues in drug-war zones with innocents getting gunned down daily...oh, but they'd actually have to hold people responsible for that. Probably too much paperwork...

Old 09-11-2007, 08:59 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,333,980 times
This is sad! I say make someone get a license to own these types of dogs and prove they know how to raise them to be dogs, you know, members of the family, not aggressive fighter dogs. That way the dog breed is not faulted but the ones who truly deserve to be faulted, the owners who are TEACHING these highly intelligent, faithful breed dogs to be mean.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:41 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,176,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
"You never hear stories about roving packs of golden retrievers attacking children in our streets," Because that's not what people want to hear! People would rather hear made up horror stories than the truth and the media wants good ratings, so the media gives the people what they want! So sad!

The dog that attacked Brianna was previously declared "potentially dangerous" by city inspectors. So, that would be the owners fault, not the dog! I don't understand this "potentially dangerous" crap anyway! Any and all dogs are "potentially dangerous", hell, cats are "potentially dangerous"!

Dillner said better enforcing existing dangerous dog laws would be more effective than enacting breed-specific bans. Exactly!!!!!

The city of Denver enacted a pit bull ban in 2005. This April, three dog owners filed a federal lawsuit over the ordinance giving them the choice of moving out of the city or giving up their pets to have them put to death. A least 1,110 dogs have been seized and killed under the law, according to the lawsuit's backers. That is so sad! There is no way we would give our dogs up! If we had to move out of the US that's what we would do! That would be like asking us to give up our children! People should be more scared of my husband and I than our dogs! lol! We even got a sign that says "Never mind the dog, beware of owner!" lol! I'm just so sick of this crap! I'm going to have a freaking heart attack before I'm 30!

Miami and Cincinnati are two other major cities that ban pit bulls, according to the American Canine Foundation. Hahahahaha!! Wow! Umm.. They obviously haven't seen the dog bite statistics for Miami! lol! NOTHING has changed in Miami, so saying that Miami did it should just show people that banning breeds DOES NOT WORK!

This just in! Any poorly-raised dog may attack!! Opinion (HamptonRoads.com/PilotOnline.com) (http://home.hamptonroads.com/blog/reply.cfm?replyID=19181&page=87&page_id=9512&uid=5 3 - broken link)

I don't even know what to say! I'm so sick of this s***! We are responsible, respectful owners that own small, friendly, well trained, well socialized, extremely obedient dogs! How is that wrong?!?! I just don't understand this, it makes absolutely NO sense! Just like Sam said, I don't live in MN, but I own APBTs and anything that has to do with the banning of any breeds anywhere upsets me! Once one city decides to do it, another one will and then another and another! What the hell do we have to do to be able to own our dogs?
I already responded to that post. I'm just so sick of this crap! I really can't take it anymore! I'm just ready to move out of the US! Is there anywhere in the world that will let responsible, respectful owners own three well raised, well trained, well socialized, friendly, obedient, medium breed dogs?! I'm sick of this!

Old 09-11-2007, 10:58 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,117,463 times
I hope those people in Denver win that lawsuit and overturn that law, PBM.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I hope those people in Denver win that lawsuit and overturn that law, PBM.
I really hope so! We do what we are supposed to do and more as responsible owners, it's just unbelievable to me that people think it's right for good owners and good dogs to be punished for a few people mistakes!

Old 09-12-2007, 09:15 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,418,848 times
The people of Baton Rouge (I *think* it was) won a case against their City Council. Hopefully Denver will win it. If they beat Denver, it will set the ball rolling for others to win too. If Denver wins, it may be a disaster for us.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:41 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,092,714 times
This is the easy way out. It would be more difficult to establish parameters for the breeding, training, and commerce of dogs, in general. Setting up guidelines for such activites, particularly concerning the breeds already misused by the home breeder, seller, and inept guardian of such dogs
would require thought, cooperation, enforcement, and maybe stepping on some toes. Can't do that, so ban whole breeds of dogs. One fell swoop--easy as pie!

Old 09-13-2007, 03:21 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,530,443 times
This is bull, like trying to outlaw guns only outlaws would have them. Will hopefully not pass.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:33 PM

It makes me happy to see so many people against this crap! I really hope more people start to understand that breed bans don't fix anything! It's like putting a band-aid on it, it's just a temporary fix, you need to heal what's under the band-aid to really fix the problem!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs