Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 06:54 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,713,449 times

Advertisements

That is terrible about Destiny. I can't believe someone would say they are healthy, you can tell by looking that a pup is sick and they should have taken her to the vet. What is wrong with people!!!! Even if they don't know that much about health and care I'm sure she was so skinny from worms and sickness.

I just do my best, I love Pit Bulls. I'm no super hero or anything.

I'm glad to hear Jayda gained weight!!! That is great news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 10:28 AM

1,930 posts, read 10,176,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
That is terrible about Destiny. I can't believe someone would say they are healthy, you can tell by looking that a pup is sick and they should have taken her to the vet. What is wrong with people!!!! Even if they don't know that much about health and care I'm sure she was so skinny from worms and sickness.

I just do my best, I love Pit Bulls. I'm no super hero or anything.

I'm glad to hear Jayda gained weight!!! That is great news.
Yeah, the whole thing with Destiny was not fun at all! That was really hard on us, and now I'm so paranoid! I freak out over every little thing now, I'm always so worried about our pups. But I guess I would rather be overly worried than not worried enough. We had just got Desy a couple hours before and they told us that they didn't know if she was even going to make it through the night, even with treatment! Of course I was unbelievably upset, but my husband was even crying! I don't think I have ever seen him that upset, besides when his grandfather died. He was ready to do anything to save her! I think he's going to be a great dad when we do decide to have children! People were telling us that we should make the people we got her from pay her vet bills, which by the way were about $1,500! We also had people telling us to not take her to the vet and take her back to the people to get a different puppy! That just made me mad! How can someone tell you to take a dieing puppy back and just let it die?! Anyway, we were very mad at the people we got her from, but not because of the money, we were mad that they would let her get that sick! I mean, you should have seen her! The poor thing was so skinny and so weak! It was cold outside when we got her and I had her wrapped up in a blanket and all she did was lay there and cry. I felt so bad for her! Anyway, it definitely was not fun, but we are so lucky that we got her in time! She is the best dog!

Oh, and yes, I'm so happy Jayda gained some weight! She doesn't really look any different, but as long as she is putting on some weight and she is healthy, I guess that's all that matters! We haven't really had Jayda very long, but she's starting to get the most amazing personality! She is the sweetest dog! Brooklyn is a sweety, but it takes him a minute to feel comfortable around new people and he doesn't like all other dogs, so we take him to the beach, the park, the vet, friends and families homes, all of those places, but we don't really like taking him to pet stores and stuff like like, just to be safe. Destiny is a sweety and she loves everyone, but every now and then she will see a dog she doesn't like and she will bark and growl like she's HUGE! lol! Once she smells the dog and everything she's fine, but with her barking like that, not many people want to let her smell their dogs! lol! They are both really sweet, friendly dogs, but they are a bit more cautious. Jayda on the other hand is just all around a sweet dog! She doesn't bark or growl at anyone! We haven't come across a dog or a person that she hasn't loved! And she's so goofy! When we are sitting on the sofa Brooklyn and Destiny want to lay in our laps or lean up against us, but not Jayda! lol! Jayda will like burrow behind the pillows and get behind us, then she will rest her head on your shoulder and lick your cheek! lol! She just does the funniest things! And she's so smart! She learns so quickly! She's a great dog and we are so lucky to have her! We are lucky to have all of our fur babies! I don't know what I would do without them!

No you're not a super hero (or at least I don't think you are ) but you're definitely a great person! I don't know many people that would or could do what you do! In my opinion, there aren't enough people out there that genuinely care about animals, and you obviously do!

Old 09-29-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
Yeah, the whole thing with Destiny was not fun at all! That was really hard on us, and now I'm so paranoid! I freak out over every little thing now, I'm always so worried about our pups. But I guess I would rather be overly worried than not worried enough. We had just got Desy a couple hours before and they told us that they didn't know if she was even going to make it through the night, even with treatment! Of course I was unbelievably upset, but my husband was even crying! I don't think I have ever seen him that upset, besides when his grandfather died. He was ready to do anything to save her! I think he's going to be a great dad when we do decide to have children! People were telling us that we should make the people we got her from pay her vet bills, which by the way were about $1,500! We also had people telling us to not take her to the vet and take her back to the people to get a different puppy! That just made me mad! How can someone tell you to take a dieing puppy back and just let it die?! Anyway, we were very mad at the people we got her from, but not because of the money, we were mad that they would let her get that sick! I mean, you should have seen her! The poor thing was so skinny and so weak! It was cold outside when we got her and I had her wrapped up in a blanket and all she did was lay there and cry. I felt so bad for her! Anyway, it definitely was not fun, but we are so lucky that we got her in time! She is the best dog!
I know it makes you cautious huh? When something happens. I know how that is, I usually just watch for signs that I know of but sometimes I start jumping to all these conclusions and thinking the worse like an idiot. I've seen my husband cry before and yup it was over a dog. When our old female started getting really bad (sick with cancer), he'd get so upset. He would cry. It was very hard for the both of us. They are such a huge part of the family.
Geez $1500, I never understand the prices of some of these vets!!! Ouch. I'm sure treatment could have been done much cheaper. I'm glad I found the vet we work with, they have very affordable prices and I do most my own vet stuff anyway. The other 2 vets we were using we had to pay a fortune and the one totally sucked anyway. We will never use them again. Its amazing how some of these older cheaper vets have the most knowledge, care and are honest. I would be mad about the $$, I know its not the most important but being that she was sick they should have got her treatment BEFORE she ever went home with anyone. Of course I'd be much more upset over the condition of her. There is NO EXCUSE for it. I feel the same way as you. I agree with you not taking her back, you know she wouldn't be alive today.

Quote:
Oh, and yes, I'm so happy Jayda gained some weight! She doesn't really look any different, but as long as she is putting on some weight and she is healthy, I guess that's all that matters! We haven't really had Jayda very long, but she's starting to get the most amazing personality! She is the sweetest dog! Brooklyn is a sweety, but it takes him a minute to feel comfortable around new people and he doesn't like all other dogs, so we take him to the beach, the park, the vet, friends and families homes, all of those places, but we don't really like taking him to pet stores and stuff like like, just to be safe. Destiny is a sweety and she loves everyone, but every now and then she will see a dog she doesn't like and she will bark and growl like she's HUGE! lol! Once she smells the dog and everything she's fine, but with her barking like that, not many people want to let her smell their dogs! lol! They are both really sweet, friendly dogs, but they are a bit more cautious. Jayda on the other hand is just all around a sweet dog! She doesn't bark or growl at anyone! We haven't come across a dog or a person that she hasn't loved! And she's so goofy! When we are sitting on the sofa Brooklyn and Destiny want to lay in our laps or lean up against us, but not Jayda! lol! Jayda will like burrow behind the pillows and get behind us, then she will rest her head on your shoulder and lick your cheek! lol! She just does the funniest things! And she's so smart! She learns so quickly! She's a great dog and we are so lucky to have her! We are lucky to have all of our fur babies! I don't know what I would do without them!
Maybe she gained some muscle? There might only be a little difference, but if she is getting better muscle that is stronger she will have gained weight. Even without seeing much tone difference. She sounds so much fun. Its amazing how they all have their unique personalities!! I think she has a very happy home.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:11 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,329,788 times
PBM Have you gotten Jayna spayed perhaps she will gain weight then. but as the others have said she looks ok. Vet said she is healthy. She needs time too finish filling out. Did Destany get fixed, yet?

Old 09-29-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
PBM Have you gotten Jayna spayed perhaps she will gain weight then. but as the others have said she looks ok. Vet said she is healthy. She needs time too finish filling out. Did Destany get fixed, yet?
How come people think getting their animal spayed will make them fat? I've always wondered that. Mine never did get fat. They said trim and fit. Looked just as good as the others. I hear people say they don't want to spay because their dog will get obese.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:15 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,329,788 times
Yes but it is true that some do gain a little weight. It is also true that she is still a pup & has months to go before she is done growing & filling out.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
I know it makes you cautious huh? When something happens. I know how that is, I usually just watch for signs that I know of but sometimes I start jumping to all these conclusions and thinking the worse like an idiot. I've seen my husband cry before and yup it was over a dog. When our old female started getting really bad (sick with cancer), he'd get so upset. He would cry. It was very hard for the both of us. They are such a huge part of the family.
Geez $1500, I never understand the prices of some of these vets!!! Ouch. I'm sure treatment could have been done much cheaper. I'm glad I found the vet we work with, they have very affordable prices and I do most my own vet stuff anyway. The other 2 vets we were using we had to pay a fortune and the one totally sucked anyway. We will never use them again. Its amazing how some of these older cheaper vets have the most knowledge, care and are honest. I would be mad about the $$, I know its not the most important but being that she was sick they should have got her treatment BEFORE she ever went home with anyone. Of course I'd be much more upset over the condition of her. There is NO EXCUSE for it. I feel the same way as you. I agree with you not taking her back, you know she wouldn't be alive today.
Yeah, we did end up paying an insane amount of money! A lot of stuff in FL is ridiculously expensive, especially in certain parts of FL, but we got Desy on a Sunday, our vet was closed so we ended up having to take her to an emergency vet about 20 miles from our house in Daytona Beach. We didn't have much money on us, we had a check book and about $250 cash on us and that was it! They wouldn't take a check and we had to pay somewhere between $500-$700 up front for them to keep her and treat her! I don't remember exactly how much they needed up front, but I have the invoice around here somewhere, I'll find it in a little while and then edit my post. Anyway, yeah, it was ridiculous! It wouldn't have been nearly as much if it would have been a week day and we could have taken her to our vet. Serg just lost it when the vet told us that she would die if she didn't get the treatment that she needed right then, and of course I was upset too, but I wasn't sure if I should believe it or not. We even called my mom and made her talk to the vet to see if he was serious or if he was just trying to make a bunch of money off of us! My mom's not an expert or anything, but before she went to medical school and for the first few years of medical school she worked for a vet as a vet tech. Also, my grandmother (my moms mom) bred Dobermans when my mom was growing up and my mom has always been the kind of person to take in strays and get them the help they need, and she use to volunteer at shelters. Now she doesn't really have the time to volunteer, so she donates money and does what she can, she will bring in food, toys, beds, etc every now and then as well. My mom is definitely where I get my love of animals from! Serg and I donate money monthly to the ASPCA and to our local shelter and I really want to start volunteering at our local shelter!.. Wow, I always somehow end up getting way off track! lol! So anyway, my mom knows a little bit about that kind of stuff, she knows more than me, so I called her to see if we were getting ripped off. The vet wasn't making anything up, she needed everything they said she needed, but we definitely ended up paying more than we would have if we would have gone to our regular vet! At the time we didn't have a choice, so we just had to do what we had to do. If I could do it all over again we would go get her two days earlier, the Friday before we got her, that way we could have gotten her into our regular vet!

Quote:
Maybe she gained some muscle? There might only be a little difference, but if she is getting better muscle that is stronger she will have gained weight. Even without seeing much tone difference. She sounds so much fun. Its amazing how they all have their unique personalities!! I think she has a very happy home.
I do see a little difference, especially in her back legs and in her chest. She's starting to look more defined. She doesn't look any bigger really and he ribs are still showing just as much, but it looks like she's getting some better muscle definition. I have been feeding her a little extra, I started getting canned food and dry food and I mix some of the canned food in with her normal amount of dry food. I have also been mixing some of the canned food in with Brooklyn and Destiny's food, but not enough to make a significant difference in the amount of food they eat. We have been taking them on their two 45-60 minute walks a day, and I have started taking them each for a 15-20 minute jog in between the walks. They get a morning walk around 9:30 am or so, sometimes a little earlier and sometimes a little later, then they go on their jog around 3 or so and then they go on their bedtime walk around 8ish, again, sometimes it's a little earlier and sometimes it's a little later. But they seem to be doing good with the little bit of extra food and they are a lot more laid back now that they get that extra exercise! lol! I think Jayda's fine, I think she's just a bit more toned than the other two. Destiny doesn't really have the muscle that Brooklyn and Jayda have, but as I have said before, I think that has a lot to do with what she went through when she was younger. And Brooklyn is just really thick, he's definitely not over weight by any means, but he's not as toned as Jayda is. Jayda's got some big muscles in her back legs! lol! I always tell her that she's got some gorgeous, girlie curves! lol! Like she can understand me! I call my dogs, "my munchins"! lol! Not munchkins, munchins.. don't ask me why, I just started calling them that one day and it stuck! And then I call Brooklyn "my little big head" and "my baby boy", Destiny is "my little smooshie girl" and "my little princess" and Jayda is my "little muscle girl" and my "little love bug"! You know, now that I brought that up, I wonder if there's a thread about the funny things that people call their pets? I think I'm going to see if I can find a thread like that and if not I might start one! Do you have any goofy names for your fur babies? -See, like I said, somehow I always end up getting way off topic! lol!-

Old 09-29-2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
No, we haven't gotten Jayda spayed yet, but we are going to make her appointment very soon. Destiny got spayed August 7th and she did great, no problems at all. And Brooklyn still needs to be neutered. We want to get Brooklyn and Jayda fixed on the same day, or as close together as possible, just to get it all done as soon as possible, but if we can't get both appointments on the same day we want to get Brooklyn done first and then Jayda. The vet did say Jayda is healthy, but the vet also said that she needs to gain some weight because you can see and feel her ribs more than you should be able to. I think the vet is happy with her progress though because she gained almost 5 pounds since her last visit, which was three weeks ago. Like I said, 5 pounds isn't much, but at least she is gaining weight, that's a good thing! You can still see and feel her ribs just as much, but she does look like she's getting a bit more muscle definition, so maybe it's just normal for her to show a little rib like that? I'm sure she will fill out as she gets older, she still has a while, she's only 11 months old.

Oh, and I don't remember if I posted the other pictures that I got where you can see what I'm talking about with her ribs, so I'll post them right now for you. I mean, you can definitely see her ribs more than you really should be able to. Like I said before, I'm not the only one who noticed it, so I know I'm not crazy! lol! Serg (hubby) noticed it, the vet noticed it, my mother-in-law noticed it and even my 9 year old brother-in-law and 7 year old sister-in-law asked me why her ribs stick out like they do!

Well, there are two more, but I can't find them. You can see her ribs more than that when she's standing up, but at least you can kind of see what I'm talking about. Since she has gained a few pounds you can still see her ribs just as much, but you can tell she's a bit more defined, especially in her back legs. I'm sure she's fine, I just get worked up over every little thing when it comes to my pups, especially after what we went through when we got Desy! I just need to learn to relax a bit! lol!

Old 09-29-2007, 11:31 PM

At least you know she needed it. However I can't see what all they did that would have been so special. Besides the blood transfusion, that is very costly. They used to have a synthetic that was a cheaper but they took that off the market and the real stuff is expensive to get and store. Other then that all it seems like they would have done is probably fluids, supplements, antibiotics and such depending on the situation. I do find that prices vary vet to vet and area as well. Even here our vets out of hours fee is $30, the vet we used to use is $100. At least you saved her life you know.

I haven't seen that picture. Its still hard to tell though, the best is when they are standing from the side. I've noticed when they are laying down towards the end of the rib cage it will seem to stick out and show more. I have people ask why my dogs are so skinny, ect all the time. Many people are not used to it. Especially when they are conditioned for a show. But even when they are not and if NO RIB is present people will still say how come they don't have more weight on them...lol They are just at a regular weight with a waste. But when people see rib they usually think bad. Its an automatic reaction.

On the dog discussion I said that it is comparable to a conditioned human, think of an athletic runner or a true martial artist, they have minimal body fat. Sometimes you might see rib. I was informed that you would only see rib on a person that is skinny not in shape. I'm like whatever. You can partially see my last 2 ribs and I don't think I'm just a skinny anorexic bag of bones. I have rock hard abs and certainly don't starve myself, I do try to stick to the most healthiest diet I can. My father is the same way, very nice muscle definition and you can see the ribs. He isn't overdone bulky body builder and he isn't a skinny shrimp. Balance is important.
When I went for my physical I was told I was in good shape/healthy and all the details, never was I told I was skinny. They will tell you if you are under weight.

If people see this female they will probably think she is skinny. She is fit and in shape. Probably in better shape then the people who ask about why she is starved. She can run for miles and have good wind, not tire, swim for a few hours and still want more. She doesn't run hot (which will happen with the more body fat you have and if you have bulky short muscle) and she doesn't lose wind due to excess body fat.

They don't realize that little body fat doesn't mean a dog is starved. If the dog is skinny you would see their hips and they wouldn't have hard muscle. Muscle would break down for the body to use as its last reserves. The reason you can see ribs on a conditioned dog is because of the lack of body fat, but you should see the muscle elsewhere, which like I said the body would break down if the dog were starved. Therefore leaving no muscle, no fat, ect. Just skin and bones.

http://www.vanalynekennel.com/Brandy_05-25-07_pic_5.jpg (broken link)
http://www.vanalynekennel.com/Brandy%2007-09-07%20pic%208.jpg (broken link)
Here is a gorgeous Boxer pup and you can see rib. I just looked at these dogs today, I still look at the Boxers from time to time. This is about how my Cane Corso pup looks right now. When the breeder sent her she said she would be ribby and go through stages, have growth spurts then fill out. She wanted to make sure I was aware and said don't try to make her fat or overfeed. I'm not at all concerned about girl because I know she is going to grow correctly and fill out great. She was just calling to rest assure that I knew. My vet has never told me that the dogs were too skinny or needed to gain weight. However some vets will. Wolf pups don't eat themselves fat and while domesticated dogs have developed differently overtime I still think it is healthy to let them develop/grown naturally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs