Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 08:07 PM

20,836 posts, read 17,115,957 times

Advertisements

I inherited 3 dogs with my marriage last year. An 7 year old chocolate lab, a 6 year old wiener dog and a terrier the last two are under 15 lbs the lab is around 70 lbs. They are all female. They have been together for five years.

The lab dominates the others. Not unusual, but she climbs into the smaller bed that the other two use and pushes them off the couch. I have attempted to coral this behavior but the behavior does not abate and after a period of time she asserts herself again.

Today she walked in the area where we feed the terrier and attempted to get to her food. The terrier did a pretty good job and we were in there in 10 long seconds. Happy to say no damage done a little blood but nothing serious. I put the lab on the porch outside.

I am fatigued by a constant "job" to attempt to forge change in the lab. I walk her and take her out every few days for long runs in the open off leash rewarding her and giving her a ton of love.

The fight is kinda the last straw. My wife left the room for 15 seconds (her office) and the terrier was on the carpet in the room there. The lab snuck in and they got into it. It was full on.

I have previously had success keeping her away from the other dogs food. We started with closed doors and then desensitized the food issue. This abrupt change surprised me and was dangerous. As I was putting her outside and doing so very firmly she turned on me and then immediately backed down.

We would appreciate your thoughtful advice. We would like to keep all three but it may not be possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 09:59 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,953,749 times
You need to walk the lab every day, not every few days.

Crate train the lab and feed the dogs seperately, do not leave food out for grazing all day.

You have to establish what is acceptible behavior in your home. This goes back to the crate training. If you cannot supervise the lab, in the crate she goes until you can be back in the room. Keep her on a leash inside to correct her behavior. Don't give her an inch.

It would help to crate train all the dogs, IMO. You could feed them in their crates so they understand the crate is a good place. Understand crates are not used for punishment but for each dog to have their own "space" where they are safe and calm. Use a sheet or towl to cover 3 of the 4 sides of the crate.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:03 PM

I walk her several times each day and take her out running every few days. The crate idea is not helpful. The older terrier does not eat like the other two. she does graze. The issue is one of respect for us and the other dogs secondarily obedience.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:32 PM

3,750 posts, read 12,410,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I walk her several times each day and take her out running every few days. The crate idea is not helpful. The older terrier does not eat like the other two. she does graze. The issue is one of respect for us and the other dogs secondarily obedience.
First question, are all three females spayed? If not, I suggest it. Second, the one that needs to be respected is you! Exercise of course is good but I would also work on training. Also, a lot of times the problem can actually be completely different from what you think it is. Terriers are known to test limits with other dogs and may actually be triggering the aggression. I'd ask a professional trainer that deals in aggression issues to come in and assess your dogs and the environmental dynamic. It might actually be an eye-opener for you.

Good luck!

Old 04-11-2012, 11:38 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,428,811 times
I also would recommend crating the lab while feeding them - they can be fed twice a day, they dont need food out all day for grazing - that way also you'll have a good idea of when the lab has got to 'go' bc it'll be on a schedule and you'll also be better able to tell when she's having an off day bc she's not eating her food. When we had 4 (females and close in age), we fed twice a day w/ very few problems, thay had their 'stations' in the kitchen and waited and all ate at basically the same speed (once there was an issue when a stray piece of kibble flew out of someone's bowl and another wanted to 'help' and it wasnt appreciated), treats they'd get at the same time and were bite-size to alleviate any potential problems and we pretty much supervised bones as well. The doorbell could be another trigger as it woudl start a frenzy of excitement which could become a big hassle, but as they aged, they mellowed although if they were home alone, we would separate one (she was fine w/ being in the kitchen, got her treat and had her dog bed there, in fact half the time we werent even out of the house and she was in there waiting for us to leave <G>, basically she (and the others) just slept). Would probably up the exercise for all of them, 'a tired dog is a good dog'. It's not easy a lot of the time but hopefully it'll all work out, it would be a shame to rehome one as they've been together 5 years, maybe she just had an 'off' day but it wouldn't make me happy either

Old 04-12-2012, 06:28 AM

Thanks. I talked with my son who has some experience. It is an issue of respect and there is a seeking food problem as well which started the fight.

On the first issue he also recommended finding a good trainer as her behaviors all say "I am in charge and going to do what I want" (whether getting on the furniture, not walking beside and pulling or just ignoring). So that gives me some way to understand her behavior. Also I think that instead of being separated she wants to be greeted and included. I will try to create that bond when she enters the room.

I read a good deal last night on the way dog's think and their desire to know that the "alpha" is in charge. The human assumes that role and acts to enforce who is in charge at all times. We will try this and see if the behaviors subside. The food issue we are going to have to work on today.

Thanks again for your input. It is appreciated.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:06 PM

3,750 posts, read 12,410,031 times
Quote:
Thanks. I talked with my son who has some experience. It is an issue of respect and there is a seeking food problem as well which started the fight.

On the first issue he also recommended finding a good trainer as her behaviors all say "I am in charge and going to do what I want" (whether getting on the furniture, not walking beside and pulling or just ignoring). So that gives me some way to understand her behavior. Also I think that instead of being separated she wants to be greeted and included. I will try to create that bond when she enters the room.

I read a good deal last night on the way dog's think and their desire to know that the "alpha" is in charge. The human assumes that role and acts to enforce who is in charge at all times. We will try this and see if the behaviors subside. The food issue we are going to have to work on today.

Thanks again for your input. It is appreciated.
Please be sure to speak with a trainer regarding retraining your dog! The term "Alpha" has been badly over used and misapplied to dogs with no dominance issues but are just badly behaved. There are many retraining techniques that have been used in the past under the title "Alpha retraining" that are now considered outdated, determental and in some cased down right dangerous! In a lot of cases its now recognized that its not so much that the dog is saying "I'm in charge so I'll do what I want" as much as its saying "You won't step up and be in charge so I will take on that role". The difference there is that by modifying how YOU act and react, you will be changing the dog's behavior with minimal stress and distress to your dog.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:43 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,789,849 times
This doesn't really sound all that bad from what is described. Unless there is more to the story I doubt you are at a point where you need to get rid of a dog. Also consider that the terrier may be the problem.

Can you describe exactly what you mean when you say that the lab "briefly turned on you"?

Old 04-13-2012, 10:19 AM

Thanks for your responses. As I was moving the lab outside she became angered at me, bared her teeth, and made it clear she was angry. She did not attack me.

Yesterday I spent the day with her, praised her for being the protector (lying at our feet watching the door) and we fed the terrier in a separate room with the door closed. the terrier was allowed to go in several times that day to eat. we also gave the lab a lot of supportive messages and praised her intent to not dominate the others. last night she stayed in her own large bed and did not attempt to bully the other dogs. I also walked with her each time during the day with her at my side and did not let her get ahead of me. she responded well to this.

My limited understanding from research talking with you good people here and my son is that dogs see a hierarchy and if the lab is allowed to be in charge she will be. i asserted my role and that appeared to be effective as she had many behaviors which indicated she "got it". She is a good dog in many ways and when I am away she takes charge of the safety here.

I think as others pointed out this is a food issue. For that reason we are completely separating the terrier and her food when its time to eat. The most helpful thing that I have learned is that dogs do not think like humans. that allowed me insight into this event.

Ongoing....and thanks!

Old 04-16-2012, 08:02 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,789,849 times
Quote:
Thanks for your responses. As I was moving the lab outside she became angered at me, bared her teeth, and made it clear she was angry. She did not attack me.

Yesterday I spent the day with her, praised her for being the protector (lying at our feet watching the door) and we fed the terrier in a separate room with the door closed. the terrier was allowed to go in several times that day to eat. we also gave the lab a lot of supportive messages and praised her intent to not dominate the others. last night she stayed in her own large bed and did not attempt to bully the other dogs. I also walked with her each time during the day with her at my side and did not let her get ahead of me. she responded well to this.

My limited understanding from research talking with you good people here and my son is that dogs see a hierarchy and if the lab is allowed to be in charge she will be. i asserted my role and that appeared to be effective as she had many behaviors which indicated she "got it". She is a good dog in many ways and when I am away she takes charge of the safety here.

I think as others pointed out this is a food issue. For that reason we are completely separating the terrier and her food when its time to eat. The most helpful thing that I have learned is that dogs do not think like humans. that allowed me insight into this event.

Ongoing....and thanks!

Just my $0.02 on this issue - Physically extracting a keyed-up dog from a fight is risky. It's like pulling a couple of drunks apart in a bar fight; sometimes the good Samaritan morphs into the antagonist.

My way of looking at it is that an angry dog who is being manhandled has every right to voice his or her disapproval, that isn't necessarily disrespectful as far as I'm concerned. If the dog can overcome the urge to strike and self-inhibit a bite, then you've got somethig to work with because your dog has some ingrained principles. To me, "don't bite the humans" is respectful enough under those conditions and the fact that the dog vocalizes warnings rather than withdrawing and letting it fester is probably a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs