Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2007, 07:06 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,778,572 times

Advertisements

My SO's GS keeps licking his leg to the point there's no hair and skin left. It looks terrible and painful. His mother said it was from separation anxiety. Is this true? Does separation cause dogs to do this? How do we stop him from doing it besides staying home all the time and how can we help it heal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 07:33 AM

673 posts, read 3,146,213 times
we had a problem where our dog did that by his tail and it turned out it was something called a 'hot spot' according to our vet. Not really sure how to explain it but he had to give us medication I believe (its been a while now since it happened). It could also be separation anxiety....I would take him into the vet and see what a professional has to say about it. If its a hot spot, you would be able to feel it warm.

Here's a link about hot spots

Dog Owner's Guide: Hot Spots

Good luck!

Old 09-15-2007, 07:58 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,271,525 times
It does indeed sound like a hot spot which can develop out of total boredom. It goes without saying that you can't be with the dog 24/7, however he does need plenty of time for walks and playtime with his human pack.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:59 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,629,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
My SO's GS keeps licking his leg to the point there's no hair and skin left. It looks terrible and painful. His mother said it was from separation anxiety. Is this true? Does separation cause dogs to do this? How do we stop him from doing it besides staying home all the time and how can we help it heal?
Hot spots can also be caused by allergic reactions and bug bites. Take the pooch to the vet. Side Note: DO NOT use alcohol or peroxide on the hot spot. Good luck to you and the pooch.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:16 AM

Thank you to everyone & I'll give him this information. I read about the hotspots and it sounds like that could be it.

Old 09-15-2007, 03:34 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
Sounds more like a lick granuloma to me. Does it look like any of these pics? Lick Granuloma Skin Lesions, Treatments and Management In Dogs at ThePetCenter.com

These can be difficult to clear up.

Old 09-15-2007, 05:00 PM

389 posts, read 3,539,193 times
I believe a lick granuloma and a hot spot are pretty much the same thing, and either can be difficult to clear up depending on what caused it to begin with. My older golden used to be COVERED with them. I switched his food, and he hasn't had one in probably close to 4 years. Pretty much, once they start licking it, they won't stop and it will never heal and becomes a big scabby, puss covered mess. What we do at work for them is shave the area and clean it good with either betadine, or chlorhexiderm scrub and do a good warm compress for a couple of minutes. Keeping it clean is huge. If it's really bad and infected, you will need antibiotics. Your vet can probably also give you a spray to kind of numb it. We use something called derma cool that I love...I use it on myself when I get a bug bite or dry itchy skin

Either way, you can't just ignore it because it won't go away. I would think though that if this is the first time it's happened (and the dog is not a puppy) that anxiety is an unlikely cause, or it would have been a constant problem.

Good luck.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:42 PM

Evey - It doesn't look as bad as the pictures on that site, so I'm not sure about it. I told him he needs to bring the dog to the vet and get it checked out. I think she's doing it now out of habit.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:51 PM

673 posts, read 3,146,213 times
Any update on how the dog is doing??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs