Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 02:42 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times

Advertisements

I have 2 big strong dogs. I like the comfy look of those mesh harnesses but I wonder if they are really strong enough. The pictures always show them on little tiny dogs.

Has anyone found a really GOOD harness? One that doesn't hurt the dog? I have a couple that are made of seatbelt type material that were strong enough but they rubbed the fur off their chest and left red spots.

Next question is how do you measure properly? Where exactly do you size girth? I keep thinking maybe the harnesses I have don't fit right but if I make them much looser, the dog can get out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 02:50 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
Once dozer is full grown ill be ordering him a custom leather harness...the nylon just dont fit him right now hes developing, there not realy made for a wide chest and so the side straps end up behind his front legs and its uncomfortable, and the other kinds are just pretty much useless on anything over about 40lbs.
i use dozers harness as a seatbelt and a back up so i need it to fit comfrtably and be strong enough to hold his weight in a collission or if he pulls hard enough to break his halti/collar and leather seems to be the best choice for control and comfort.
measurments are generally taken at the largest width aorund the chest and neck

Old 05-02-2012, 02:54 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
I would suggest looking at Redline's harnesses and at what Prodogz sell. These are working dog items for SAR, Police, etc. Granted, they are not the inexpensive cute comfy control type harnesses, but they are quality. Hopefully one of them will have what your looking for. if not let me know which ones came close and I can ask the SAR/CDD folks down the road what other places a person can buy quality/durable harnesses in the design you need.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:54 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
Google freedom no-pull harness. They attach at the front, where it prevents dogs from pulling as hard, and the back (they sell a two-connector leash so you can attach at both places, but I don't use the connector at the back.) The underside of the harness is velvet, and the buckles are up on the shoulders where they don't chafe. They're available at some boutique-style pet shops, and online.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:55 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
As far as chafing, there are some that are padded in the "right spots," like in the armpits. I actually saw one today, while looking at harnesses for a friend's dog, that was made completely of fleece. Sounds soft, although not too strong. Look for padding.

As for measurements, the website should tell you exactly how and where to measure for proper fit. Look for those sorts of harnesses, where they're telling you exactly how and where to measure, otherwise you might end up with an ill-fitting one.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
As far as chafing, there are some that are padded in the "right spots," like in the armpits. I actually saw one today, while looking at harnesses for a friend's dog, that was made completely of fleece. Sounds soft, although not too strong. Look for padding.

As for measurements, the website should tell you exactly how and where to measure for proper fit. Look for those sorts of harnesses, where they're telling you exactly how and where to measure, otherwise you might end up with an ill-fitting one.
I forgot about the armpits! My bigger dog, Spot, got red spots there too. Those buckles are always in the armpits. Does that mean the harness is too small?

Old 05-02-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
I would suggest looking at Redline's harnesses and at what Prodogz sell. These are working dog items for SAR, Police, etc. Granted, they are not the inexpensive cute comfy control type harnesses, but they are quality. Hopefully one of them will have what your looking for. if not let me know which ones came close and I can ask the SAR/CDD folks down the road what other places a person can buy quality/durable harnesses in the design you need.
Thanks! I will check them out. I was hoping for comfy but reality says these are big strong dogs. Nothing fou-fou about these guys and I need control to feel safe taking them out and about.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:02 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
No, even fitted correctly, it can still chafe. See my post above about the no-pull harness. No more chafing problems!

Old 05-02-2012, 03:04 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I forgot about the armpits! My bigger dog, Spot, got red spots there too. Those buckles are always in the armpits. Does that mean the harness is too small?
I don't think it means the harness is too small, I think it just means that Spot (love the name!) is sensitive there, just like Artie is. It really should fit quite snugly. Not tight, but not dangling.

No matter what -- even if the harness was a bit loose -- Artie would chafe in the pits, until I got him one that was padded with a soft fabric. Even the most gentle of rubbing was too much for my sensitive guy.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:21 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
I have one of these

Amazon.com: IPuppyone Adjustable Dog Soft Harness "Air Flex" Large Black: Patio, Lawn & Garden

My dog is not really heavy, but very energetic, and its held very well for normal control and the outdoor lead (he jumped the shorter fence and I don't have a taller one in yet). I did sew it to fit but it has worked better than the no pull ones which had loose spots he found and chewed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs