Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 05:06 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,520,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
(or did you just make this up and though nobody would challenge it? )
Geez, there's no reason to get ugly and accusing. What I was told is that the FDA does track pet food illnesses, but that they haven't set up the type of tracking for this particular problem with salmonella in pets yet like the CDC has done for humans, to trace the illnesses directly to that source. At least, that's what I was told. This vet said she has reported illnesses to the FDA. I don't make things up. I'm not here to fight. I was just passing along what I was told, and I trust that this vet is not making it up that she has treated pets for illness from these foods. Whether you choose to believe pets are getting ill from it or not is up to you. I choose to believe that when this vet says she has treated ill pets, that she is telling the truth. To each his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 05:29 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,692,605 times
The FDA has a SALMONELLA Section specific for human and pet food. This section was in place for almost a decade and is tfhe main reason so many salmonella cases have been detected and recalls issued.

Since salmonella recalls are based on HUMAN concern, not so much on pets as they need a major case to make them sick, ALL salmonella issues are centralized and tracked. Your vet should have been reporting each and every case to the FDA if manufactured pet food was suspected and enetering that info directly into the database. If a vet is reporting the suspicion, it is in that database. If its not in the database, they didnlt report it!

Once aagin, ALL Salmonella incidents are tracked by the FDA and every vet in the USA has the ability to check the database and to add to the database. As a FYI, all manufactures must do the same so not sure where this report that manufactures can concealling these reports. (You dont want to see what happens when the FDA gets a consumer based report and that consumer claimed they reported it to the manufacture and there is no manufacture report filed)

Old 05-07-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Your vet should have been reporting each and every case to the FDA if manufactured pet food was suspected and enetering that info directly into the database. If a vet is reporting the suspicion, it is in that database. If its not in the database, they didnlt report it!
Thanks for the info. Do you know if the database is available to the public, or only vets? She says she reported them to the FDA, but I'd love to check out that database myself.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:40 PM

I saw on the FDA site where they say "We do not have any confirmed reports of pet illnesses." So it may be that the vets have reported illenesses, but the FDA hasn't been able to confirm that it definitely was the food that caused it. They would probably need to have a sample of the food that the pet consumed in order to confirm it.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:41 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,692,605 times
call 1-888-SAFEFOOD (you can drop the last D), ask for information on salmonela tracking for consumers.

On the second part, there are a number of confrimed cases of salmonela listed for many of the reports. But if your looking at a specific issues such as the current Diamond Food salmonela issue, no this is a voluntary recall where their test showed salmonela in I think 4 bags out of all those tested and that pompted the recall. There wouldn;t be any"confirmed" cases because its still to early to identify a case to the product.

If you look back a year or so when salmonela was discovered in pet foods, you will see confirmed cases because time has enabled them to attach a specific case of salmonela to a specific product.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
call 1-888-SAFEFOOD (you can drop the last D), ask for information on salmonela tracking for consumers.
Thanks!

Old 05-07-2012, 06:00 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,604,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
please remmeber folks that this recal is for HUMAN health concerns...

while i would be cautious with a dog recovering from parvo/cancer/other compromised immune system, or a young puppy or senior dog.
healthy mature (6mths+) are NOT a hospitable environment for the salmonealla bacteria...in short, dogs (when healthy) DONT GET FOOD POISENING from salmonella.

the recal is because the food has made PEOPLE sick...no pets have become ill form these products! however people handle the food and dont wash their hands and tada, a potential case of salmonella.

if your dogs do well on the food and your store is carrying it theres NO reason to panic and freek out and switch automatcially "just because"
many stores effected by recalled product are now getting limited shipments from the other plant.

sorry its just this salmonealla scare seems to have everyone thinking this is about the dogs, when its got nothign to do with dog health lol, remmebr folks, dogs are designed to eat RAW meat...and raw meat (and your kitchen sink) have the HIGHEST number of salmonella bacteria present!
You don't think people should stop feeding the recalled food? Or did I misunderstand?

This is not just about people who don't wash their hands after dumping the dog's food in the bowl.

How about the baby who crawls round on the floor where the kibble may have been spilled, or plays in the dogs food, and puts the kibble in her mouth? Or the teenagers who after being nagged to "feed the dog" umpteen times, finally does it, before going out with his friends, spreading germs along the way? How many teenagers wash their hands, EVER?

While animals are at a much lower risk of salmonella bacterial poisoning, I can't imagine why anyone would want to continue to put their pets, and their families, at risk.

Now that the information is available, people can check the dates and numbers, and know if the food they purchased is from that plant. If they didn't save the bag, they should chuck the food (in a safe manner) and contact the manufacturer on how to obtain a refund.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:18 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,871,857 times
i put my dogs at risk EVERY day of salmonella when i feed RAW chicken, RAW rabbit, RAW fish, RAW beef, ect...

there is already salmonella present even on the cleanest floors, the kitchen sink has one of the highest number of salmonlla and e-coli bacteria ect.

im not telling people to or not to continue feeding a recalled food, simply stating that the recal is due to Human health and HEALTHY dogs dont get salmonella (if they did thered be no dogs left, have you seen some of the stuff these guys get into lol) and feel that people need need to make an EDUCATED desicion...

if a dog gets sick on most other brands but has done well on totw or diamond naturals or 4-health, then i personally do not find the risk of salmonella to myself or my HEALTHY ADULT DOGS AND CATS, to be enough of a concern to potentially cause further digestive upset from trying to switch ect.

I do feed diamond naturals chicken and rice, my last bag was not effected by the recal, but again my dogs get raw meat regularly, as nature designed, so salmonella is the LEAST of my concerns and the only way im Switching foods would be to witch to 100% raw which is an even higher salmonella risk to me, but a bajillion times better for my dogs and cats than even the aboslute best quality dog kibble.
If children are a concern then the dogs no matter WHAT your feeding should be fed in a place easily whiped down/disinfected anyway...

Old 05-07-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
There wouldn;t be any"confirmed" cases because its still to early to identify a case to the product.
Exactly. The point I was trying to make is that the manufacturers are using this "no cases" of animal illness in their press releases, which make it seem like it's no big deal. But there have been illnesses, they just haven't been able to "track and trace"/confirm them yet, like they've been able to do already with human illnesses related to this particular recall. The pet food manufacturers seem to be using this to downplay the seriousness of the recall.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:03 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,498,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnp View Post
Exactly. The point I was trying to make is that the manufacturers are using this "no cases" of animal illness in their press releases, which make it seem like it's no big deal. But there have been illnesses, they just haven't been able to "track and trace"/confirm them yet, like they've been able to do already with human illnesses related to this particular recall. The pet food manufacturers seem to be using this to downplay the seriousness of the recall.
EXACTLY! It takes an act of GOD for it to be proven a pet got sick and/or died from a particular food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs