Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 06:47 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
CLAUD----I dont work! Shes Not in the crate All day. She hardly ever alone. Mgr came over & complained cause I was sitting outside with both dogs on leash...about 6 months ago. So when she here I Dont take them out. I would say they are 75% inside dogs. Lucky I have a Huge apt so they get plenty of exercise! Katie [corgi] is 7 yrs old 100% dependable. LadyBug is 15 1/2 months old. Breeder kept her in 4x4 cage on towels & blankets til she was 4 months old she was scared of Newspapers, Grass, Dirt, Cement, Gravel & Linoleum/Vinyl. She thought peeing on ME Carpets blankets & Towels & even my neighbors coatwas ok! Took me 2-3 months to get her adjusted to being on Grass etc. By Oct she was 100% dependable using a Litterbox in her crate & NOT pooing on her bed or playing in her pee! From Christmas til Mid Feb she was 100% Dependable to using the Litterbox out side the crate when she was loose in the apt! Then Mid Feb she Relasped! Back to pooing on Carpet!! Not hiding doing it right in ftont of me! I just couldnt jump up fast enough. Arthritis in my Whole body at this point! This went on for a month with me Not letting her out the crate IF I couldnt watch her & get to her. I had good days & bad! Bad days she was loose in the tiny kitchen with her litterbox BUT Not allowed in the rest of the apt! But again when she would potty in floor I still had to put her in the litterbox.... Weather got warm we been out 1 hr in evenings I try to take her out Daily at 5pm [when office is closed] She got so she Holds her poo till then & pooing again some time during the nite in her litterbox. On Rainy days I get her out of the crate she potties then I let her play in living room dining room for the hour. For the past month [guessing] she Stopped playing Dropped toys went straight to litterbox to potty!! Then goes back to playing! Do I trust her 100% NOOOO do to her past history LOL So I dont feel comfortable saying she is BUT Shes come a Longgg way.... She getting there! Others with paps say she doing GREAT & I agree! I took her to Virginia for Health Tests she didnt potty til we got home! 4 hrs! Soon as she got out of the van here at home I thought she never stop peeing & pooing LOL Tried getting her to go at the Clinic. Son says we should have taken her litterbox LOL
Why would your landlord complain, and why are you hiding from her?
I just read your post about the landlord. This is a mess, your dog is just going to be confused. I don't know what to tell you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 06:51 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Not hiding! Advoiding! I no clue why she doing this to me after All these yrs! Check out my view! Then explain to me! http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...s-new-apt.html

IF you check out other pic in my albums you can see when we lived in the 1 bedroom apt Katie was allowed outside Back Side & Front Was in Full view at all times! I got LadyBug on June 6th last yr & in Aug we moved to the 2 bedroom... Her Complaints & Harrasment started in Oct! I been in this Apt Complex 5+ Years! No Complaints! until Oct 2011... NONE from anyone living here! BTW IF you look close just behind my van [blue & Grey] Setting behind the post is a man with his dog sitting outside! Right out front NOT Once in the yr hes had her has the Apt Mgr complained!

Last edited by Katie1; 05-30-2012 at 07:06 PM..

Old 05-30-2012, 07:54 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times
Katie, the litterbox takes up 3/4ths of the cage, and your dog looks very unhappy.
I don't understand the problem. You had your dogs on leash out front. The landlady says dogs can use the sideyard, but not the front. Okay, so why not use the sideyard? I'm sorry, but I think your dog is spending way too much time cooped up in a cage, especially with you home.
Do you have a lease? Can you talk to the landlord and air your grievance? Have you considered buying a house, so you can be free? There has never been a better time to buy.
This is not fair to you or your dogs.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:48 PM

No Cage is 24" wide by 42" Long Litterpan is 18" x 24" Takes up less than 1/2 the cage! Dog is 10" tall 10 pounds LOL She just upset cause we were just moving in & too many people too much stress... Tho she still gets the pitty look when I refuse to hold her LOL Her breeder held her a lot & even put up with her pee on her!

Most time I do sit on side but my neighbor was out & we were talking. Today we were out 90 mins & LadyBug wanted in 45 mins LOL Katie went in after 30 mins! hehehehe She was raised in apt building we were on the 4th floor! She too is litterbox trained! She NEVER potties outside! She will come inside & use her litterbox then come back out! She also my service dog & potties on pads before we go into any store!

Lost my home on 1/2 acre fighting for my SSD 12 yrs ago. Son lost his home 2002 fighting for is SSD & Hes still fighting. No cant afford to buy.

Anyway I cant see a thing wrong with what I doing outside. I Not changed my or the dogs habits in the 5+ yrs living here. Just Changed Apts!

Old 05-30-2012, 09:37 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,406,979 times
Declaring a dog "house trained" is always going to be an estimate since the clock "resets" the minute a dog has an accident. We have had Kodi now for almost 2 weeks and I consider him about 99% potty trained right now. He consistantly signals when he needs to go out, doesn't potty in his crate (he is only crated at night) and has had only one accident in the last week, That one was right in front of the door after I had gotten him spun up with a game of tug-o-war in the living room. He ran to the door but had piddled by the time I got there to let him out.

All of my other dogs were trained within a week too. They were all older than Kodi when they came to us. Consistancy, a firm schedule and a whole lotta praise has always worked for us.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:40 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
You can't know if you can trust them until you find out that you can't.

But you can tee them up for success by making sure they have a schedule, go out often, are kept away from carpeted areas, etc.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:50 PM

The Whole apt is carpet except for a tiny bathroom & Kitchen! I even offered to Pay to have the carpet taken out & put in Linoleum/Vinyl was turned down! I even offered to buy Hardwood Flooring! Some one had left over HW Flooring more than enough to do the whole apt they were asking $100 for it! And was Turned down! I really dont get the mindset of these people!

Apt mgr has it in her head I can Excatly say when LadyBug will be trained...sigh Yes I could say she trained but then she makes a mistake tomarrow we are back to square 1.... I did ask her IF her dogs were trained yet LOL She snapped My Dogs are Not in Question here Yours are.... So answer the question! At that point I turned around & walked away! Mostly to keep from smacking her grrrr

Old 05-31-2012, 06:33 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
I don't have anything else to add, just Ladybug's very pretty, and I had to laugh at your comments on the outdoor pictures in your album. Your landlady is really a piece of work. Are you going to try to get out of there when your lease is up?

Old 05-31-2012, 07:13 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I think she doing Great

I lived here 5+ yrs had Katie [corgi] all this time. Apt Mgr has been here 4 yrs. No Problems until now she B*tching about Everything the dogs do! BTW she a Dog hater! Told me yrs ago she put hers to sleep & not have Any dogs except for her sister [lives with them] & dh She did put 1 to sleep 3 months ago ALL cause he poo/pee in his crate! I told her get a crate large enough for him to lay in have water & litter box! She remark Nope Not going to happen he Holds it or I put him to sleep! She did
Deal is she Mgr & can evict me! No matter what her dogs do or how she treats them! Me & Mine Must be Perfect
Your landlord is a right scumbag! How long left on your lease? Are you able to find another place to live? I could NEVER give money to some hag who puts her pets to sleep for going in their crates. It's her damn fault she didn't let them out or train them properly but they paid the ultimate price.

I can't say what I really think about her on this forum!

As for when is your dog considered potty trained...I don't have a number for you. My girl was difficult only because she was STUBBORN! How I accomplished it was I would take her out, on leash, take her to a designated spot, tell her "hurry up", (that's their potty cue), and I would stand there - not looking at her, not talking to her. She had her 6' of leash length to roam. She also had 10 minutes to go. If she did not, she went back inside, without a word, in to her crate for 5 minutes and then we did it again.

She did not get to play, meet people, run around, anything until she went to the bathroom. That was her first order of business when going outside. If she didn't, she went back inside while I and the boy went out to play. As "dumb" as the boy is with tricks, he picked up on that potty training almost immediately. Her? Defiant! Oh the defiance!

One time? She held it for 24 hours just to try to win the upper hand. I'm not even kidding. For 24 hours, (thankfully I was off), we played the 10 minute/5 minute game. I did not like her very much that day but I won! HA HA!

After that win, she decided that maybe going to the bathroom when she first got outside was a better thing to do.

She just turned two in May and decided to try it again. This time it only lasted 15 hours. This was after so long of doing so well. So back to the 10/5 minute game. The joy. I eventually moved her crate so that she couldn't see me or the other animals and she was completely ignored while in there. Didn't take her long to figure out that maybe holding out was a stupid idea.

For her, it took about three months to get her on board and about 6 months before I considered her totally potty trained.

And I agree with others, not feeling well, stomach upset, you not getting there in time should not count against your dog.

And someone needs to smack the crap out of your despicable landlord.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:23 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Haven't read any of the other responses yet, but I don't like crates, because too many people use them as an excuse not to train. They are a tool for you, and can be used as a safe space for your dog, with the door left open. I hate to think of a dog left in a small cage with nothing to do all day, while you go to work. Think about how that would effect you.
If you have a yard, perhaps you could install a doggie door. Or have a neighbor look in on your dog, during the day. People that are gone all day should not be getting puppies, sorry, but that's the truth. Dogs need companionship, that's why they make such great pets. Another solution is to get a 2nd dog, to keep the first company.
Then there is the added problem that you rent and live in an apartment. Good grief!
You can't put human emotions on a dog. Most of the day, while you are gone, dogs will sleep. The crate should be viewed as they would a den in the wild.

No, it should not be used as an excuse not to train but while they are in the training phase, it should be used if you have a dog that cannot be trusted. My boy had to be in the crate while I was away because before I got the crate, he chewed my bed, my bedding, my computer mouse, my couch, the couch pillows, my remote, the cupboards, etc. Yes, he did have toys to play with, things appropriate to chew...but those are not nearly as fun as the arm of the couch!

In that instance, it was SAFER for him to be in the crate and just sleep while I was away.

Make the crate a pleasurable thing. They eat in their crates, they have no issue going in their crates. No other animal, not even the other dog, is allowed in THEIR crate. That is theirs and theirs alone. It is their den.

No, people should never leave a dog in a crate all day long and all night long because they are too lazy, if they do that, they should not have a dog. But while at work? I see no problem with it during the training phase.

Having said that, with puppies? You can't do that. Puppies have to go out every two or so hours anyway. Young enough and they don't have the ability to "hold it", they don't have the muscles to do that. Plus, their bladders are smaller. If people are getting puppies, they need to either have someone home all day who can take them out every two hours, be able to come home every two hours, (as it was in my case), or have someone come over and take them out every two hours. That is only fair to the puppy.

Crates should also have just enough room for them to walk in, turn around. That's it. Anymore room than that and they will find a corner, use it and sleep in the other end.

But this deal about them getting claustrophobic or it being like jail is human emotion. The crate is a very powerful tool and it resembles a den they would have were they wild.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs