Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 03:03 PM

430 posts, read 1,264,366 times

Advertisements

Our little Maltese goes in the Laundry tub, every Saturday! She likes the tub filled about 1/3 way up so she can sit down and soak!! By the soaking her nails get soft and I'm able to clip them pretty easily. We use Mane and Tail shampoo and conditioner on her and once a month she gets her whitening shampoo and rinse...she's great in the tub, no problems. During the summer we towel dry and let her run around, winter she get the blow dryer treatment (she stretches out and just lays there). Our only problem is she doesn't like her tail combed out, but she tolerates it pretty well....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 03:07 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,174,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Nana View Post
Our little Maltese goes in the Laundry tub, every Saturday! She likes the tub filled about 1/3 way up so she can sit down and soak!! By the soaking her nails get soft and I'm able to clip them pretty easily. We use Mane and Tail shampoo and conditioner on her and once a month she gets her whitening shampoo and rinse...she's great in the tub, no problems. During the summer we towel dry and let her run around, winter she get the blow dryer treatment (she stretches out and just lays there). Our only problem is she doesn't like her tail combed out, but she tolerates it pretty well....
Someone else said that they bathe their dog once a week too. Your pups don't have problems with their skin drying out at all? Here, this is what I wrote about this a little earlier...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
Honey's skin doesn't get dried out from being bathed so often? I have always heard to never bathe a dog more than once a month because it will dry their skin out. When we first got Brooklyn we would bathe him once a week. He was about 8 weeks old when we got him, he was our only dog and we went to the beach every week at least once or twice. We had never heard that you are only supposed to bathe dogs once a month, so we didn't know. When we first got Destiny we heard that we should only bather them once a month or so, so now that's what we do. We still take them to the beach at least once a week most of the time, so when we get home we rinse them off and then spray this PH balance spray all over them, that way the salt water won't dry their skin out. Because we rinse them off and spray them with that spray so often we normally only bathe them once every 3 or 4 months. Plus, because we live in FL and it's so hot and humid, they aren't outside much. Besides taking them to the beach and letting them out to go potty a few times a day, they go on 2 or 3 45-60 minute walks a day, but they don't really get dirty because they are walking in grass and on concrete. When they start to get that doggy smell we bathe them. Anyway, I was just curious to see if she had any problems with dry skin. When Brooklyn was a puppy and we bathed him every week he never really had any problems with his skin drying out, but we do wait longer to bathe them now.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:50 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,601,130 times
Quote:
Honey's skin doesn't get dried out from being bathed so often? I have always heard to never bathe a dog more than once a month because it will dry their skin out.
Honey has allergies and her vet told me to make sure I bathe her more often, especially when she spends a lot of time in the yard. I use a moisturizing shampoo so maybe that helps.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:51 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,601,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
I bathe Charlie Brown in the tub...
What a priceless photo. Thanks for sharing it. It made me smile.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:43 PM

430 posts, read 1,264,366 times
Quote:
Someone else said that they bathe their dog once a week too. Your pups don't have problems with their skin drying out at all? Here, this is what I wrote about this a little earlier...
Nope, no problems at all.

O.Nana

Old 09-25-2007, 07:05 PM

673 posts, read 3,146,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
I bathe Charlie Brown in the tub , but since we got the little spray hose thingy in our sick he bathes there like a little puppy shower and he can view the mountains and birds while getting clean. I usually use and oatmeal bath cause he would get itchy with something that bloomed in Florida, now that I'm in New Hampshire though he hasn't had any ithy problems

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/Tarastomsgirl/DigitalCamera057-1.jpg (broken link)

This picture is just adorable!!!!

Old 09-25-2007, 08:15 PM

92 posts, read 318,063 times
I know it sounds weird, but I bathe my dogs...inside during the cold, outside when it's warm but I use Suave Citrus Smoothie shampoo. I actually was desperate one day to bathe my dog and had nothing in the home "for dogs". I called my friend who runs a rescue shelter asking about using baby shampoo, etc...She told me she uses it (Suave Citrus Smoothie)and I happened to have it on hand in my personal shampoo stash. I tried it that day....and the dog came out so clean and shiny and smelled awesome....I've used it for about a year now and no adverse skin reactions. She recommended it because she's seen no bad reaction either....I know of one other girl also that bathes her dogs with it and has had no bad reaction from her two dogs...it's just a great shampoo Suave made for dogs....and didn't know it....

Old 10-06-2007, 11:16 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,582,383 times
Default dog bath/oatmeal shampoo question

My husband gets the pleasure of bathing Goldie. He bathes her in our bathroom. She doesn't like getting a bath and we usually have to bribe her in with a treat or just go catch her and carry. Once she's in however, she will remain still until we're done.

The Vet handles the trimming of her nails (free of charge). When we first got her, he was bathing her 1-2x per month but the Vet said that we shouldn't bathe her that often. She likes to play out in the backyard which is rather large and she loves to dig. After a few days she has that doggie odor which I hate, but the Vet said that the more you bathe them the more their bodies will excrete that odor. Since he cut down on the bathing, the smell seems to be subsiding and not as prevelant. She itches a lot and I see a lot of you use an Oatmeal shampoo - does that help with the itching? I talked to her Vet but they just gave her a shot which only proved to be a temporary fix. Something seems to irritate her and I don't know if it's in the carpet or outdoors, but she itches all the time (no fleas).

We took her to a boarder when we went out of town and they said that she didn't scratch or itch the entire time she was there. The areas where she had scratched raw, were healing after being with the boarder for 2 weeks.

Any suggestions, other than the Oatmeal? Do mosquitos bite dogs - could this be it?

Old 10-07-2007, 03:38 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,274,662 times
I just gave all 7 of mine baths yesterday - we bathe about 3 times a year. They are all on a raw diet, which has cut down on the doggy smell significantly. I've always used Dawn liquid dishwashing detergent in case any errant fleas happened to wander by, but I'm going to start the second scrub with Suave Citrus now to get the great smell! The muttsky got clipped; he's some sort of terrier mix and his coat is long and wirey and gets greasy feeling, so he usually gets a bath every 6-8 weeks. I can pick him up and put him in the bathtub, but the other goobers all weigh at least 80 and up to 125 lbs. Not happenin'.

To the above poster - your dog has an allergy for sure, but does she only bite and scratch at spots during the summer? If these are "hot spots", dilute Listerine original with water, half and half, and spray on the area from a misting bottle. It will clear it up pretty quickly, and mosquitos hate Listerine! Our mosquitos have been AWFUL this year - and yes, mosquitos will bite dogs, that's how heartworms are transmitted, but I'm not sure if the dogs get the welts or not. You you could see clouds of them hanging around the dogs when they went out, so everyone was getting sprayed with just a light cost of mouthwash before they hit the door. They absolutely hate it and I don't like the smell much, but I didn't like them coming through the door with their new little friends either.

My dogs have black nails and I have tried even the clipper with the guard on it and have quicked them, so I gave up and decided to let the vet do it from time to time. I wish I could dremmel their nails, but I seriously doubt they would be very patient with that - most of them HATE having their feet handled, but they are all rescues I got when they were older and rather than all of us freaking out, it's just easier to let the vet do it. The blind one really has a problem with his feet being handled and the noise associated with the clipping - I just figure that's another quirk of his - but I'm not going to work myself into a lather over doing toenails - besides, 7 dogs with 16 toenails each makes for a long day!

Old 10-07-2007, 06:17 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,367,710 times
LOL my dogs are farm dogs a Jack Russell Terrier and A Pembroke Welsh Corgi...the only time they get a bath is if they get into something stinky...It's the hose in the yard and I wash them with what ever will help get the stench out of what ever they have rolled in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs