Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Much is too much to pay for a puppy?
I would only pay adoption fees - nothing for the puppy 6 46.15%
Up to $250 1 7.69%
Up to $500 1 7.69%
Up to $1000 2 15.38%
No amount is too much to find the breed I want 3 23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 12:44 PM

125 posts, read 206,616 times

Advertisements

Recently, our 10 year old American Bulldog had a growth pop up and, within a few weeks, rupture. We took her to the vet and were told it may be cancer but would have to have tests run, followed by surgery then testing of the growth. We decided to have the surgery but the vet allowed us to opt out of some pre-op procedures to save money. In the end, pup is doing great and the growth was not cancer after all. We had seriously considered whether or not this was the best time to let go or whether an unexpected expense of nearly $650 was the right thing to do.

In addition, I have read forums where people have gone to great expense for their pets as well as paying princely sums for puppies.

So, here are the questions: What is the line? And, How much is too much?

Given the number of animals needing adoption or rescue (I cannot listen to another Sarah McLachlan or Willie Nelson commercial), where do YOU believe the line should be.

I have opinions myself but wonder where the opinions would go - "there is nothing i would not do" to "there should be a balance between spending $2,000 for treating a 15 year old dog versus adopting a puppy".

Since I pose a question on 2 different subjects, I decided to poll for one and solicit opionions on the other.

Poll: How much is too much to pay for a puppy?
Opinion: What is the line for treating your pet? What factors would you consider before making the ultimate decision? (Age, expense, condition, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 01:33 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
I would probably pay $650 for surgery on an older pet, as long as he didn't have other issues that were interfering with quality of life. I don't think I would spend $2000...but I haven't been in that position, so I don't know what I'd do.

Some vets seem to really push you to spend money on unnecessary tests. I had a puppy with pneumonia and the vet wanted to do an xray, but said she'd prescribe antibiotics with or without the xray, that the xray would just tell us how likely the pup was to recover. I declined the xray, and she said I should take the pup back to the pound because he wasn't going to make it. Took him home, gave the antibotics for a week, and he's fully recovered. I had another vet before charge $120 to shine a light on my cat's eye...that was before I learned to ask what difference the test would make in the treatment. Now we don't have anything unnecessary done.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:56 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
It really depends on whats wrong with the dog What treatments are involved Dogs Qulity of life during & after. Decades ago when I was told a dog had heartworms I opt to have them put to sleep.. Now the treatments have changesd so I most likely just have the dog treated. Just an example.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:44 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
I'm not sure I understand the question. I've never bought a dog, but have paid adoption fees. I have raised puppies, but that was for rescue, I would adopt an older dog from a rescue or shelter.
As for how much I would spend on my own dog, it depends on the problem, the age, and my confidence in the vet. I had a spaniel that was diagnosed with Cushings, but it was complicated with a tumor on the thyroid gland. We spent a lot, and we ended up putting him down anyway, after what was needless suffering. It's a long story, but vets don't always have the answers, you have to do what's best for the dog. Is it really worth putting the dog thru the treatment? What can you afford? What is the expected outcome and how long is the recovery? Is it worth it?
We are on a tight budget. I have an 8 year old dog with a growth, that could just be age, a fatty tumor or something more serious. I have opted not to do the bloodwork, and just wait n see if it grows. She eats well, plays and appears fine otherwise. It's been several months with no change. I think we still have a lot of years left together. I will not spend a lot of money on her, I just can't, we are too close to the edge as it is. I do the best I can providing my dogs good nutrition, exercise, and natural remedies when available. For example, I was able to treat mange at home, by doing a lot of research. That would have been very costly with the vet. Actually the vet did a skin scraping and said he didn't have mange - yes he did!
You have to do what you think is wise, realistic and compassionate. It's never an easy decision.
By the way, I LOVE American Bulldogs, gorgeous animals.

I just want to say Don't put all your faith in the veterinarian, they are only people, and only know what they have been taught. You have the wealth of the internet, do some research on your own. Be a wise consumer, and you will make educated decisions.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:14 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
I wouldn't pay for a puppy or older dog - nothing more than the adoption fee from a rescue or shelter. Do I donate a lot of money to both? Yep. It keeps 'em rollin'. I will say that I've never needed the purebred, though. A dog in need is a dog in need, that's my gauge.

How much would I spend to give my pet medical care? Well, I adopted a blind Rottweiler from Maryland - drove 1200 miles one way to pick up a 1-year-old boy who had congenital glaucoma. A rescue had taken him in and was looking for a home. He needed to have both eyes removed and at first we were just going to donate to that, but then I got him across my heart and adopted him....and subsequently paid hundreds of dollars for his eye surgery. Can't remember the figure because my vet gave me a serious break, but I know I was quoted $1400 at one time by a canine ophthalmologist and was prepared to pay it without a whimper. My oldest Rottie girl had osteosarcoma and I paid over $1000 to have her leg amputated and ended up losing her within 6 months anyway. Very unexpected expense (but with rescued Rottweilers I've come to accept that unexpected cancer is the norm - I'm not quite as surprised anymore). I balked at spending a gazillion dollars on chemo, though, because I just couldn't see that the end result was going to be worth it based on a little research and talking with the vet.

The boy is now 7 years old and happy as a clam, running with 6 other dogs and sleeping in the bed with us at night. I lost the girl to what we think was pulmonary embolism - knowing what I know now, I can't be sure I would opt for amputation again, but I still know I wouldn't do chemo...but that's hindsight and has nothing to do with the financial aspect.

We all do what we can, and I think drawing the line is an incredibly personal decision. There are those who would disagree with my choices, but they were mine and I paid for 'em I'd encourage everyone to have a really good relationship with their vet, though - if you've been with one for a while and have an unexpected expense, they may work with you on payments if they know you take really great care of your dog and you've been good for bills all along. Sometimes the ability to stretch out the payments can make a world of difference in how a situation is viewed....find a vet who can work with you.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:56 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRighti View Post
Poll: How much is too much to pay for a puppy?
Opinion: What is the line for treating your pet? What factors would you consider before making the ultimate decision? (Age, expense, condition, etc.)
I think anything over 2000 bucks is out of my price zone for a puppy, but that is because I know I can get a good puppy of the breed I want without having to shell that out.

There is no price maximum for treating my pet.

Last edited by stan4; 07-04-2012 at 03:05 AM..

Old 07-04-2012, 04:38 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
recently DH balked at spending 1200$ just for tests for sick 10 y.o. cat. We did and now he is on rx food and doing fine. I don't know how much higher it would have gone for actual treatment but I think I would have gone pretty high.

I think it is such a personal question regarding each family's budget, age and condition of pet and specific illness.

10 years ago we paid $500 each for 2 ragdoll cats. I love them to death but don't think I would spend that kind of money now. a rescue cat would be fine if we decided to get replacement cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs