Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 09:27 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times

Advertisements

If you let her out and she dosent go. Watch her ( i know it can take time). And as soon as she goes praise her and let her in as a reward. Shell get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 12:44 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,344,251 times
I'm glad I'm not the only one that has a dog that holds for so long. I was getting worried. Thanks to all of you for your answers.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:12 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,710,944 times
I wouldn't be too worried dogs an hold themselves for a pretty long time. I don't think its healthy but on a few occasions won't hurt and then if the dog themselves do it not too much you can do about it. I had 2 different occasions where they held it for 16hrs. One female held it for about 19hrs because it was cold and wet and she wouldn't go out. When I left her about about noon she just sat by the door whining. She finally went out and pottied hours later.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:45 PM

422 posts, read 1,362,625 times
My mixed breed dog, Chipper, holds it for a minimum of 9 hours daily (8hr work day with 30 min commute each way) Although he does hold up up to 12 hours somedays. However, he has not done his business in almost 24 hours before b/c he doesn't seem to like to go in the rain. I have taken him outside several times in a downpour and gotten soaked )LOL) and he won't go. Our teacher in dog training class stated some dogs just don't like to go in the rain.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:00 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,192,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlblueyes View Post
My mixed breed dog, Chipper, holds it for a minimum of 9 hours daily (8hr work day with 30 min commute each way) Although he does hold up up to 12 hours somedays. However, he has not done his business in almost 24 hours before b/c he doesn't seem to like to go in the rain. I have taken him outside several times in a downpour and gotten soaked )LOL) and he won't go. Our teacher in dog training class stated some dogs just don't like to go in the rain.
That's so funny, because my Lab was the same way! But take her to the beach, and she was in her glory!

Old 09-26-2007, 07:51 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenbacismama View Post
That's so funny, because my Lab was the same way! But take her to the beach, and she was in her glory!
My lab won't leave the front porch when it's raining. Labs are weird like that! They love to run and swim in water, but they hate when water falls from the sky!

Old 09-29-2007, 11:48 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
I have one of those dogs as well . If it is raining out, my male will not go outside - he will hold it all day!

It concerns me since he normally has to go quite often. He is on meds that cause more frequent urination, so usually when he drinks water he immediately wants to go outside. But if it's raining, there's little convincing to get him out there. Sometimes I'll coax him by holding an umbrella over him....it helps . My other dog can't get enough rain - she loves to run in it and bark at it .

Old 09-30-2007, 10:38 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
Nice to know I am not the only person with a water dog that does not like to get her toes wet. Shadow has 2 raincoats, and can be persuaded to go out if it is not raining too hard, but she will not step on wet grass.

Old 09-30-2007, 03:59 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
Our dearly departed Mastiff, Dexter, would go out first thing in the a.m before we left for work. When we returned 8 to 10 hours later, he would be in the same spot on the bed as when we left him. We usually took him to the office and he would sleep under my desk the better part of the day. I hate to leave them that long, but they seem to sleep a lot.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:11 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,192,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
Nice to know I am not the only person with a water dog that does not like to get her toes wet. Shadow has 2 raincoats, and can be persuaded to go out if it is not raining too hard, but she will not step on wet grass.

That must be a treat here in Florida - it seems like I'm always stepping in wet, sandy grass. And my darling little puppy loves to jump on my every morning after he's been out. So now he's gotta be put in his crate BEFORE I get dressed for work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs