Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 06:12 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,191,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Our dearly departed Mastiff, Dexter, would go out first thing in the a.m before we left for work. When we returned 8 to 10 hours later, he would be in the same spot on the bed as when we left him. We usually took him to the office and he would sleep under my desk the better part of the day. I hate to leave them that long, but they seem to sleep a lot.
Sounds like Mastiff had a nice life! He was lucky to have you guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,387 times
Dog peed at 7 pm. Took out at 7 am, no pee., 9 a.m no pee, played outside for 45 min before noon. No pee. Came in took a nap then sat right down in front of me and fully relieved herself on my rug. This is a house broken dog.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:55 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Maybe she is trying to tell you something. I know cats pee in front of their people to get attention and tell us something is wrong. Dogs too? I would have her checked out if it happens again. or keep her outside-under supervision- until she pees.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:13 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
genenrally a sudden change in potty behaviour is an early signal its time for a vet check...
shell hold it as long as possible if it burns/stings so its usually a good idea to get checked for a UTI.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:42 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
During my working years, my dogs always held it 9-10 hours.....no problem.

They were never crated.

Something interesting I noticed after awhile.........they hardly drank any water while I was at work.

I always left a huge bowl full of water for them.....and they barely touched it.

No one will ever convince me that they didn't figure it all out either......"If I drink a lot of water before Mom gets home, I'm gonna have to pee real bad." LOL

Another thing all of our dogs have always done, even when I was a child......if they had to poop when we were gone.....they always went to the basement. We never taught them this, they just did it. This would only happen once in a blue moon.....only when it was an emergency. {ya just don't poop where ya "live"}

In my parent's home, where part of the basement was finished with carpeting, they would always go to the unfinished part, on the bare cement too.

{note to self - always leave the basement door open - for emergencies - and never, EVER, get upset about poopies in the basement, just quietly clean it up....no swearing }

Old 02-19-2012, 02:25 PM

380 posts, read 653,039 times
My dog regularly holds it for 10 to 12 hours. He goes toward the end of our evening walk (at about 8 p.m.) and then not again until we go out in the morning (at 6:30 a.m.). I used to take him out at 10 or 10:30 p.m. for one last pee, but it was getting to the point that he wasn't going at all on that last walk and would just amble around sniffing or looking bored. So, no more right-before-bed walk, and he doesn't mind.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:34 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post

Something interesting I noticed after awhile.........they hardly drank any water while I was at work.

I always left a huge bowl full of water for them.....and they barely touched it.

No one will ever convince me that they didn't figure it all out either......"If I drink a lot of water before Mom gets home, I'm gonna have to pee real bad." LOL
Same for Artie. He won't eat or drink once I leave the house. And I know that sometimes he's thirsty because, occasionally, as soon as I walk in the door, he'll make a mad dash to his water bowl and drink half of it. Smart guy, even though I'm never gone for more than 4 or so hours.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:42 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
I'm amazed at how long Nanners can hold it. Longest so far has been 18 hours.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:42 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
just remember folks...just because the CAN doesnt mean they should...

just liek a human shouldnt try and hold it for too long at risk of health issues dog and cats are th same, way, many dogs can and will hold it 12 hours if they absolutlyhave to (some dogs simply wont) but think about it...would YOU want to go 12 hours without a potty break?! it CAN cause health problems so my general rule of thumb if i wouldnt want to have to hold it that long...my animals dotn want to either, 9 hours is tops in my house.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:19 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
just remember folks...just because the CAN doesnt mean they should...

just liek a human shouldnt try and hold it for too long at risk of health issues dog and cats are th same, way, many dogs can and will hold it 12 hours if they absolutlyhave to (some dogs simply wont) but think about it...would YOU want to go 12 hours without a potty break?! it CAN cause health problems so my general rule of thumb if i wouldnt want to have to hold it that long...my animals dotn want to either, 9 hours is tops in my house.
That's the way I think. I wouldn't make Artie hold it for longer than I can hold it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs