Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2012, 10:03 AM

2,106 posts, read 3,063,077 times

Advertisements

I have a 9 month old Bichon Frise poodle mix. I bought him when he was 3 months. He was scared of me in the beginning and now...OMG he follows me EVERYwHere I go, licks me all the time. Jumps on the couch where ever I am.. Does that mean he loves me??

My brother says he considers me his bff..but is that true. Or does he know I am his owner? Its strange I can keep him in the kitchen with the barricade and when I am there he whines and whimpers until i let him out, but he doesnt do that at doggy daycare or at my moms.
Everyone says I spoil him, but all i do is pet him and talk to him and walk him....so is this puppy love or separation anxiety??

Why must he follow me everywhere and lick my foot or hands all the time. I could go to the kitchen and he feels I am gone and all of a sudden he is there...is this typical of puppies or Bichon Frise Poodle mix. He is a very very loving dog. I do love my Vino Thats my dog's name
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 04:19 PM

491 posts, read 2,290,820 times
You are his pack, and you need to act like a pack leader. Sounds like the dog is insecure and unsure of himself and of you. When people are said to "spoil" their dog, I find it's usually women who don't know the difference between affection and dog-specific care. Dogs need routine to be secure - walks at the same times every day, nap time, training time, etc. Try to have a routine that the dog can get used to. That will make him feel more secure. Regular exercise - walks, will also help drain energy. A dog without the necessary exercise will become nervous, insecure, neurotic, aggressive, etc.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:26 PM

how am i not acting like a pack leader?? why do you think he is insecure??

Old 07-04-2012, 05:31 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
It's true if you fuss over dogs too much they can become little tyrants. He loves you, of course. And you should show him your love for him. Just like kids, make sure he has rules and boundaries. Give him affection when he's being good, ignore his misbehaving. If he's behind the gate whimpering, don't encourage him by talking to him. Just go about your business so he understands that sometimes Mommy is busy and he just can't pester you. Take him to an obedience class so he learns all the things he needs to know. I'm sure he's a great dog and will give you many, many happy years.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:55 PM

I love my doggy

Old 07-04-2012, 08:30 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Bichons are the most velcro dog there is. most breeders or rescues will not even give or sell them to anybody who isn't home most of the time. They particularly have separation anxiety. your dog is just acting like a Bichon. Congrats- you are his leader and he will follow you to the gates of hell if that is where you go. you are lucky. I've had 2. a big responsibility but I love it.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:56 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
have to admit things are so bad in this house that my Bichon and Maltese will not eat unless I am standing in the kitchen with them. No big deal while school is in session cause I'm in there with the kids and dogs at breakfast and dinner but now that school is out, the kids and i eat at different times and DH is always telling the girls "Go get God so the dogs will eat." yep I'm God. Glad somebody around here holds me in such high regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs