Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 01:46 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,037,272 times

Advertisements

Hi all; I just did a quick thread search and see nothing on this, but if there is a thread already going, will someone plz direct me to it?

My 7 year old Lab-mix male peed in the house a month ago and has now done this about six times. He and my female lab have never had any problems with this before and I was only gone for 2 - 3 hours. I could tell it was him, not my girl, by the spray / splash marks and also by his attitude when I saw it. He clearly felt bad about it, and has each time since.

He drinks a lot more water than my girl, and I asked the vet what constitutes "excessive" thirst? He says that's subjective...sigh. But since my dogs were at the vet for routine matters; we had some tests run on Moose to see if there is a physical cause. The tests all came back negative, but the problem persists. I give them plenty of exercise, playtime, and potty breaks. What I find on the internet suggests diabetes, cushings, or tumor. Which I thought those expensive tests ruled out. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 03:24 PM

7,382 posts, read 12,673,025 times
Has your dog always exhibited extreme thirst? If this is something new I'd get another vet to check his kidney function. It might just be something temporary, but you want to rule out anything more serious. Best of luck.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Has your dog always exhibited extreme thirst? If this is something new I'd get another vet to check his kidney function. It might just be something temporary, but you want to rule out anything more serious. Best of luck.
Thanks. I adopted Moose at approx. one year old...exact age is unknown. He was bounced around from owner to shelters to foster 3 times from Long Island, to the city, to upstate & has always had a sort of happy excited disposition. There was some friendly aloofness towards me in the beginning, and mild fear/agression to some men - since gone; but yes, he pretty much has always been a "thirsty" dog. I figured it went with his disposition & he never had a problem holding it before.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:26 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Dont be so sure your Female is Not peeing! Spay/Domiate Females Spray & mark just like the Boys! I would have her checked too!

Old 07-07-2012, 05:57 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,273,163 times
A few questions for you; how old is your girl and do you know how old she was when spayed? As far as the testing the vet did, exactly what were they looking for? I do know often that excessive thirst and urination are both signs of diabetes and/or thyroid issues and typically (at least at my vet) the thyroid panel is runn on a different run than the regular blood work.

having said that, perhaps he is having an issue with processing protein that might be flying under the radar, what do you feed them?

Old 07-07-2012, 06:18 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,669 times
My rottweiler started urinating in the house and when we took him to the vet we found out he had diabetes. He would also drink water like crazy when his sugar level was out of whack. They do this to try and bring them in balance again. If your vet hasn't checked, have them do a blood test and see what his sugar levels are at.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:20 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
diabetes would be my first bet, and unless they were specifically testing for it no,those expensive tests might not have rulled it out...
id want a list of exactly what tests they did, what each test tested for and go from there...

Old 07-07-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Dont be so sure your Female is Not peeing! Spay/Domiate Females Spray & mark just like the Boys! I would have her checked too!
Didn't know that about the females...thx! But I woke up a few nights ago & caught him; and my female shows no reaction at all. I know this sounds nutty, but Moose really exhibits regret as I'm cleaning it up. They both bark one small "gotta go" bark if they have to go out after we've gone to bed...don't know how I missed it.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:58 PM

cleosmom, Piper is almost 7 yrs. old - I've had her since weaned from mom; spayed at normal time. Also, Piper drinks significantly less than Moose. Sometimes I worry about her in the reverse...she could stand to drink more! Vet expressed no real concern at either dog's drinking habits when I mentioned it at visit.

foxywench and lauramc27, I'm going to be all kinds of ticked if there were things they should have tested for and didn't. They are open on Sundays, so I will grab a copy of lab work tomorrow. Didn't think I needed to - five dogs in twentyfive years at the same hospital and have always been satisfied. Since I pointedly mentioned my concern about diabetes, renal troubles, and endocrine issues; I assumed that the expense of the panel meant a thorough panel as well.

I feed them top shelf salmon and sweet potato or rice blends - dry. I never considered the protein might be to blame.

Thank you for your replies everyone, much appreciated!

Old 07-07-2012, 08:06 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,669 times
Good luck. I hope it isn't diabetes. We had to give our Sammy insulin shots twice a day and had him on a special Science Diet food.

Please let us know what you find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs