Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 04:17 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times

Advertisements

Please be religious in your use of antibiotic for the corneal scratch - I had a dog get one just a week ago and I wasn't aware of how quickly those things can go bad and do irreparable harm. And please let us know how your dog is doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 07:26 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Cost and that there is no guarantee it will not happen again and it can go away on it's own.

The recurrence rate is lower for marsupialization vs simple I&D.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:48 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times
Yes stan,
and the dog could shake it's head, hit the ear on something get it caught in the chain link fence or get it pinched some how causing another hematoma.

Surgery always comes with risk of death and infection.

I'm a hands on person.

to the op sounds like your on the way to recovery.
make sure the drain is not getting clogged and try to keep it clean.
Try to keep your dog from scratching at it, probably how the eye got scratched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The recurrence rate is lower for marsupialization vs simple I&D.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:34 PM

60 posts, read 236,103 times
We do plenty of these surgeries at the animal hospital where I work. It is the quickest easiest way to fix the ear. We have seen way too many dogs suffer more than necessary when their owners want to lance it each time. For me, there is just too much risk involved doing it at home. We charge around $300 plus antibiotics and pain meds. Luckily, we rarely see these dogs back for another hematoma. I'm glad your dogs surgery went well!

Old 07-21-2012, 08:12 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times
A couple of bucks for a syringe and all is well with no problems. (and if not, you can still go to the vet)
Do you go to the hospital for a blood blister?
Because they are very simpler.

Surgery is no guarantee it will never happen again
as it is a broken blood vessel that has caused it.

A dog can break a blood vessel by just shaking it's head, scratching it's ear, a playful nip from another dog while playing or any countless ways.

vets are in the business of making money first and foremost.

I regularly go hunting with a friend who is a veterinarian.

I'm very hands on with my dogs and I think more people should be also.
I don't believe a vet should be used to keep cut your dogs or cats toenails.
as animal owners I believe you should be able and willing to do basic maintenance and or first aid to your pet.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,047 times
My dog got one of these hematomas a few days ago took her to the vet and had it aspirated with a syringe, it filled right back up again. We are scheduled for surgery in a couple of days and let you know how that goes. I have to assume this is painful for the dog and can`t imagine having to wait for the body to reabsorb it on it`s own and then it can result in disfiguring the ear.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,615 times
I've been reading these post and was pretty irritated. I called the humane society they couldn't help because they are over booked but referred me to an office who said it would cost $730. I figured since the humane society referred it would be affordable. Was just about to walk out the door to take my dog there so glad I didn't. Gonna make some phone calls. What a rip off!

Old 01-30-2015, 12:59 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,763,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
A couple of bucks for a syringe and all is well with no problems. (and if not, you can still go to the vet)
Do you go to the hospital for a blood blister?
Because they are very simpler.

Surgery is no guarantee it will never happen again
as it is a broken blood vessel that has caused it.

A dog can break a blood vessel by just shaking it's head, scratching it's ear, a playful nip from another dog while playing or any countless ways.

vets are in the business of making money first and foremost.

I regularly go hunting with a friend who is a veterinarian.

I'm very hands on with my dogs and I think more people should be also.
I don't believe a vet should be used to keep cut your dogs or cats toenails.
as animal owners I believe you should be able and willing to do basic maintenance and or first aid to your pet.
I would NOT recommend a do it yourself project in this instance. It's not at all like cutting your dogs toenails. No point in letting the dog suffer, it should be treated by someone who is qualified to do so. These are usually much bigger than a blood blister and painful. One of the reasons I don't have more dogs than I do is so that I can afford medical care for the ones I do have.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:15 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
If you lance, most like it will keep coming back. If you let it go, it will turn into elephant ear where the flap shrinks up and gets wrinkled looking. The best way is to have the surgery and yes they need to be under anesthesia. Not only is it painful but the dog is not going to sit still while the vet puts a bunch of sutures and or a drain in. It's a very quick and easy surgery. Many times dogs get aural hematomas from shaking their head hard from ear infections. It's important to keep your dog/cats ears clean and free from infection to help prevent it from happening again.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:31 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erianna1982 View Post
I've been reading these post and was pretty irritated. I called the humane society they couldn't help because they are over booked but referred me to an office who said it would cost $730. I figured since the humane society referred it would be affordable. Was just about to walk out the door to take my dog there so glad I didn't. Gonna make some phone calls. What a rip off!
That sounds like far too high a price based on what others here have paid. I'm the OP, and my dog's hematoma never returned. It took a full 6 months to treat her corneal abrasion though, which probably cost about as much as the surgery did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs