Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 05:59 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,710,382 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of changing our APBT club to an Endangered Breed Club. We started it wanting to get sanctioned to hold shows, but I really think to gain more support for our breeds and dogs in general more people need to ban together. Dog owners need to stop being breed haters, especially those with "dangerous breeds". They should especially seek out other breed owners for support instead of thinking all but their breed is dangerous. Our friend has said a Bully Breed Club but I think even more is needed then that. There are so many "dangerous breeds" in the area, in the whole US for that fact, that we shouldn't segregate ourselves from them.

This would include the following 44 breeds which have BSL and insurance black list against them.
Airedale Terrier, Akbash, Akita Inu, Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog, Alaskan Malamute, American Bulldog, American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, American White Shepherd, Anatolian Shepherd, Belgian Malinois, Borzoi, Bullmastiff, Bull Terrier, Ca De Bou, Cane Corso, Chow Chow, Doberman Pincher, Dogo Argentino, Dogue De Bordeaux, English Mastiff, Estrella Mountain Dog, Fila Brasileiro, German Shepherd Dog, Great Dane, Great Pyrenees, Irish Wolf Hound, Kangal, Komondor, Leonberger, Neapolitan Mastiff, New Foundland, Otterhound, Presa Canario, Rottweiler, Saint Bernard, Scottish Deer Hound, Shar Pei, Shiba Inu, Siberian Husky, South African Boerboel, Spanish Mastiff, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Tosa Inu. Any mix or those which shares physical likeness.

Other who are Bully Breeds or may in present be commonly or in the future be considered dangerous breeds either by size, physical appearance, or relation to a banned. Some of these breeds are comprised of the above breeds others are rare breeds. As a developing breed gains popularity even though they are their own breed name, type and set traits they will still fall under BSL. As establish rare breeds gain popularity in the US they will be put on BSL and black list in time just as other have (ex. Belgian Malinois or Presa Canario).
breeds include
Alano Espanol, Alp Mastiff, American Mastiff, Appenzell Cattledog, Autralian Bandog, Australian Bulldog, Azorez Cattle Dog, Banter Bulldog, Beauceron, Belgian Groenendael, Belgian Laekenois, Belgian Mastiff, Belgian Tervuren, Bernese Mountain Dog, Bouvier Des Flanders, Boxer, Brazilian Bulldog, Bully Kutta, Ca De Bistiar, Calabrian Cane Corso, Cane Da Branco, Cane Di Mannera, Catahoula Bulldog, Caucasian Ovtcharka, Colorado Bulldog, Danish Mastiff, Dogo Guatemalteco, Dogue Brasileiro, Donovan Pincher, Dorset Old Tyme Bulldog, Dutch Shepherd, Eastern European Shepherd, English Bulldog, German Pincher, Giant Maso Mastiff, Giant Schnauzer, Gran Mastin Del Borinquen, Greater Swiss Mountain Dog, Gull Terr, Hermes Bulldog, Indian Mastiff, Jindo, King Shepherd, Kumaon Mastiff, Kuvasz (I think these are named somewhere but I couldn't find the BSL info), Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog, Lucero Bandog, Mastiff of Terciera, Olde Boston Bulldog, Old English Bulldog, Original English Bulldog, Perro Cimarron, Perro De Torro, Portuguese Cattle Dog, Rhodesian Ridgeback (I think these are named somewhere but I couldn't find the BSL info), Romanian Shepherd Dog, Sarplaninac, Shiloh Shepherd, South Asian Ovtcharka, Swinford Bandog, Thai Ridgeback, Tibetan Mastiff, Valley Bulldog, Victorian Bulldog.

This is by no means a complete list of breeds which are either banned or considered restricted now or might fall under restriction in the future.

Many of the breeds in the 1st list are named in the restricted breed list of Fairfield, IA, however the restriction doesn't only include named breeds (it list over a dozen breeds) it includes any breed or mix 100lbs or more. So if your dog is 100lbs+ it doesn't matter if it specifically named or not if it is a rare breed such as the Cane De Branco or if it is a crossbred/developing breed it is still considered restricted.

I have seen many people just accept bans and move to another breed. They banned Pit Bull so we have Dogo Argentino, they banned Rottweiler so we have Cane Corso. In time though those, breeds have also (although less commonly) come under BSL. It only takes time for them to become known/popular then they too fall under BSL. This will continue to happen, so why stand idly by? Let them take one breed from you and they will continue to take, they won’t stop with just Pit Bulls or just Rottweilers.

Last edited by APBT_Samara; 10-29-2007 at 06:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 06:44 PM

273 posts, read 1,338,807 times
they might as well start telling people that they can only own cats

Boxers..give me a break...I could also name easily half of those breeds that are kinder and gentler than a pomeranian. WTF

Old 10-29-2007, 07:03 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,233,542 times
Excuse my ignorance, but what is BSL?

Old 10-29-2007, 07:18 PM

216 posts, read 829,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but what is BSL?
Breed Specific Legislation. In a nutshell, it's the banning or restricting of ownership of certain breeds. You can read more detail here:

Pet PitBull - Legislation

You can google "bsl" to come up with more sites with info.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:42 PM

Yup, most Boxers are super friendly. In some places that have Pit Bull bans they have wanted to add American Bulldogs and Boxers to the list as "pit bull type breeds". WTH?! There have only been a few attacks by Boxers but I think its the size and looks. I've only read one boy being seriously injured when two Boxers went through an invisible fence. But these people don't care. They are certainly expanding on what breeds they wish to ban.

I think most small dogs with bad temperaments comes from them being poorly bred and popular, with puppy mills pumping them out. Then all the owners who excuse their aggressive behavior because they are small and spoil them.

Great answer Mom2Five. BSL is any law or legislation which bans or restricts the ownership of a certain breed. There is also breed discrimination with insurance companies. The top breeds I've seen were Pit Bull, Rottweiler, Doberman, Chow, German Shepherd. I've also seen sometimes American Bulldog, Boxer and Bullmastiff listed on those too. I remember reading in dog fancy that over 12 breeds were black listed by insurance companies I believe. One lady that lived an hour away from where I used to live had state farm in the town I lived because she bred Dobermans and couldn't get home owners insurance close by.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:01 PM

216 posts, read 829,755 times
State Farm is one of I think 3 insurance companies that doesn't breed discriminate. I've had them for years. They've never even asked me if I have a dog, never mind what breed it is. I'm hoping that doesn't change!

Old 10-29-2007, 10:37 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
When I had to switch insurers (I'm in Florida, a lot of us were dropped a couple of years back simply for living in Florida......talk about discrimination ), I had a hard time getting past the 'dog issue' to get insured.

I don't know for sure what my dogs are made up of, but I have an idea. When the question came up about dogs, I tried saying "just mutts", but no, they wanted descriptions, so I said "a chocolate lab mix and a basset-hound mix". Now, my male is definitely not a bassett hound by any means, but I was trying to pick something innocuous .

Even that was not good enough for them. I ranted a bit about BSL, but that got me nowhere, so I said "Fine! I have a Chocolate Lab and a Bassett Hound!" And you know what the agent told me? That Labs might make the list soon enough and did I know that Dalmations are on the list with some insurers now too?

It's crazy! But what can you do? They're going to come by and take pictures of your house (I was hiding my dogs until I knew they had come out and done that part ), so you can end up getting "caught" if you lie.

It's a lose-lose for homeowners and dogs .

Old 10-29-2007, 11:07 PM

Yeah thats what happened when we got canceled. We didn't lie or hide the dogs because they were not blacklisted. So they took the pictures and one female foster was outside in a kennel at the time so then a few months later when they made the list they still had the pics and crap, so drop, drop we were.

So maybe I should add Dalmatian since they are on some blacklist?

Old 10-29-2007, 11:30 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
Yeah thats what happened when we got canceled. We didn't lie or hide the dogs because they were not blacklisted. So they took the pictures and one female foster was outside in a kennel at the time so then a few months later when they made the list they still had the pics and crap, so drop, drop we were.

So maybe I should add Dalmatian since they are on some blacklist?
I think so. You know how it goes - a breed gets popular, backyard breeders get in a frenzy and produce some less than optimal temperment dogs, people want "that cute puppy in the movie" and all of a sudden a breed gets a name as being a biter . Apparently, that's what's happened with the Dalmation - their popularity damns them......sound familiar ?

So sorry you had that experience with your insurance company . I was really caught off guard when I was being asked about my dogs and quickly realized that I was not going to win this one unless I 'played along'. My agent was basically begging my to just throw a breed name at him and not say anymore about it (he's a good guy, he's not the one doing this, and he wants the business). Unfortunately, I have a mortgage on my current home and therefore am required to have insurance by the bank. If I did not have a mortgage, then there might have been other options.

Oh well, now I have another dog in the house and you can bet I'm not telling them about her or any future dogs I may have .

Old 07-11-2013, 05:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,610 times
what is the population of the american pits
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs