Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 01:03 PM

57 posts, read 315,490 times

Advertisements

Hi all, new to forums! I was wondering if anyone can take a guess at her breed, so that I can guess what size she'll get.

We adopted this little girl from the shelter recently. They told us she was 9 week old lab mix, however she's really small for a lab. She weighs about 4.4 lbs and has short stubby legs. Everyone always says "she has small paws".

We're actually not sure if she's even 9 weeks since she got her first shots 2 weeks ago. Aren't they suppose to at 6 weeks? In any case, she's 7-10 weeks old range.
Spoiler

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 01:06 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
I'm pretty sure that she's a precious/adorable mix.

No ideas about the breed(s), though... just that she's gorgeous.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:11 PM

Thank you! She definitely is a sweetheart.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:19 PM

646 posts, read 1,642,560 times
She looks kind of like an Australian shepherd, maybe a mini?
She is beautiful!!!!

Old 05-26-2011, 02:55 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,406,979 times
That rounded head and shaggy coat makes me think there is some golden retriever in there. Whatever she is....she is 100% adorable. What are you naming her?

Old 05-26-2011, 03:18 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times
Can't help on the breed - I'm worthless when they're so young. She is precious though!

Depending on where she came from and who surrendered her it's possible she was vaccinated later. It's not un-common for people to keep litters of puppies until they're past that 'cute' stage and surrender them at several months and they not be vaccinated. Some shelters don't even vaccinate them on intake. I've seen them come from shelters at 6 months or older and never had a single vaccine in their life.

Yes, they should be vaccinated at 6 weeks and every three weeks for a set of three vaccs, but sadly few people seem to care about puppies when they don't plan on keeping them.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:42 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
im seeing alot of possibilities, golde, lab, aussie, chihuahua possibly, she looks quite long so mabe even some doxie in there...

either way shes adorable.

on the shots issue, my vet wont give first shots untill 8 weeks, its better for pups who realy should still be suckling occasionally at 6 weeks and retain mothers immunity untill about 2-3 weeks after being weaned...

so we do 8 and 12 weeks, and because we dont start till 8 weeks a 3rd round is not usually nessicary...

3 rounds are done simply because its not certain when force weaned or weaned early how long exactly immunity from mother lasts...
but for puppies raised in a home and not exposed to outside dogs (and breeders who have a closed set up and are carefull) its now common to vaccinate a couple of weeks older and not do as many for the puppy series to avoid vaccinossis.

so i wouldnt worry too much on the age front

shes adorable!

Old 05-26-2011, 03:50 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,590,447 times
I think she looks a little too young to really make a good guess but she sure looks cute.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
That rounded head and shaggy coat makes me think there is some golden retriever in there. Whatever she is....she is 100% adorable. What are you naming her?
I thought so too, but one of her siblings was black, the others all brown like her. No golden fur oddly enough!

And her name is Tofu, but she only answers to Fufu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
im seeing alot of possibilities, golde, lab, aussie, chihuahua possibly, she looks quite long so mabe even some doxie in there...

either way shes adorable.
Like Cresi said, I suspected some Aussie! I know she's young, but I'm just curious what other people think.

@Everyone: Thank you for the compliment to her guys! Everyone this forum is so nice, lol.

And also thanks for the vet advice. I was worried she was really young and crate training would take even more weeks without sleep! That and just other taken-too-early-worries.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:59 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,049,395 times
What a cutie~! I also thought it looked like an Australian Shepard Tofu~? Are you vegetarian~? I am and that is why I asked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs