Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 05:34 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times

Advertisements

this issue came up in a different thread where it was not appropriate to discuss, but it is a question that has bothered me for a while. I understand wanting to be with your best friend in his or her last moments, but it is really traumatizing. It is also not always just go to sleep quietly. I understand it is usually that way, but one dog we had to put down whined, and thrashed around in a panic and seemed ot have some pain (or maybe just panic) form the effects of the shot. The vet put him down in our kitchen because he could not really be moved, and only my wife was home. She was seriously traumatized. It was terrible.

the second dog we had to put down was even more difficult because he was healthy. He just attacked people at random and seemingly for no reason. Vets and behaviouslists had no answer and thought it was probably a genetic issue. We still could not decide what was right, but when he went after yet another person, we decided we had no choice. Again the task fell on my wife becasue she was the only one who could go when the vet was open. She took him in and stayed with him. This time was peaceful. In addition, when she brought him in, he tried to attack the vet, an assistant and another patient. That actually made it easier and reaffirmed we made the right choice. Plus he simply went to sleep. This allowed my wife to know we did not put him through what our other dog went through. Had she not gone in, she would have thought he went the same way as the prior one. Personally I am not sure I could do it. I would probably back out and take the dog home unless he was suffering terribly and clearly dying and in his last day or so. My wife may be emotionally stronger than me in that way. I am not sure having not done it. Plus we have different life philosophies (she is DNR, I am not).

Kind of an awful topic but one probably worth discussing since almost all of us will have to go through it, probably more than once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 05:39 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,480,670 times
Stayed away once (as a kid) in the 80s; I regret that decision to this day, as does my mom.
Now I will always be there for their last breaths.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:48 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
I've had to have 3 dogs put to sleep, and my husband, daughter and I have been there for all of them. I don't think I'd be able to go through with it without being there, to comfort them. All of them have gone quickly and easily, although one wouldn't lie down and the vet had to give him the shot standing up. He fell into my arms and I was glad I was there to ease his fall. Of course we all cried so much, but I would have been crying just as much, and wondering if they were gone yet, and if they'd suffered, if I wasn't there. The vet will let you stay with them for awhile after they're gone, and that moment is precious, although it seems strange to say it. Although of course we were still crying, and continued to cry for days, that time alone with them, seeing them without pain or discomfort, helps the healing in a small way.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:06 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times
I have stayed with all of mine just as I with with each of my parents as they took their last breath. I think if you yourself get hysterical being with the dog may make it more anxious but if you remain calm then staying with the dog will help it remain calm. Afterwards my vet and I sit and chat for a few minutes as over the years my vet is more like a friend so sitting a sharing a few stories about the dog put down is rather nice. I could never not be there.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:07 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
I have stayed in... I can't not stay. One went badly because the dog would not let the vet touch her, so I had to hold her so he could anesthetize (sp?) her so she wouldn't fight when he inserted the IV. She was blind and deaf, and I was her only security, so I had to be there. I've had to put down 4, and I guess I have another one that will probably leave this life within 2 years... and I'll be there for her, too.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:20 PM

203 posts, read 517,378 times
I have only had one pet pass away on me so far. He was a small dog who was around 13 when he passed on. He lived with my parents and sister; so I was not there when he passed on. He had been having small seizures for a few months so I told my mom that if it got worse I wanted them to take him to the vet and have him put down.

He wound up passing while at home though and I am glad it happened that way. My family went out of town for a day or two and when they came back, Prince (my dog) laid in my sisters lap for a bit; she went to get something, came back into the room and found that he had passed peacefully.

My reason for the story is this: if he had been taken to a vet I probably would not have gone and regretted it for the rest of my life that I wasn't there for my dog when he would have needed me to be with him.

After he passed my mom called me right away so I was able to come back home (45 minute drive) and see him before my dad buried him the next day. I didn't think it would hit me as hard as it would but when I was walking up the sidewalk to the back door of the house I started to get a little teary, then as my mom opened the back door I broke down a sobbed for at least 10 solid minutes.

My partner and I have 2 cats and a dog right now, when any of them get close to the end I will be there for them when they get put down.

Last edited by awkiv; 09-19-2012 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: Typo.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:27 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
I've related my stories in the aforementioned thread. I will be there.

When we put Paul down he first got a calming shot , waited a few minutes and then the IV. very peaceful for him but I was a wreck. With his last effort he lifted his head and licked my face and then he was gone. He was so concerned about me and he wanted to comfort me. I will never forget his loyalty. How could I not be there for an animal I loved so much and who loved me?

Old 09-19-2012, 07:00 PM

438 posts, read 947,054 times
I was with my 10 yr old shepherd when it was her time. She developed a neurological disease (degenerative myelopathy) very suddenly. The vet treated her and that delayed the progress for about 6 months, but when she lost the use of her back legs, it had to be done. I would never have left her with strangers to die. She didn't seem stressed out or afraid, and went very peacefully. I'm glad I was with her, and when future furbabies face this situation, I'll stay with them too.
I can certainly understand not wanting to see a pet die, though. One of my cats woke me up one night years ago, acting like he was choking on something. I couldn't see anything stuck in his throat and couldn't save him...it was traumatic to be so helpless while watching him die (it was something called pleural effusion, when fluid builds and compresses their lungs. It sucks). It would have been better to simply find him dead and wonder what happened.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:30 PM

175 posts, read 590,159 times
It is one of the hardest things I have ever done but....... I was there for my girl. My vet gave a mild seditave first so my girl was relaxed and calm and she layed in my arms. She was an 85 lb lab, 14 1/2 years old. I sobbed and cried after she took her last breath but up until then I was soothing her and kissing her. My husband who was right there with me made the decision to have her cremated and at the time I couldn't think straight but he made the right choice. I wanted to bring her home and bury her on the only farm she ever knew but he made the right choice. We now have her in an engraved rosewood box and if we ever move she will go with us. My only advice is do not go alone, have someone drive you home because the first few hours and days will be hard. It still haunts me wondering if I made the right decision but I made the choice for her sake not mine. It was the right choice for her but I still grieve and question myself and it has been 18 months but she deserved a peaceful end to a beautiful life.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:00 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
I have been there for all my dogs and horses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs