Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 11:33 PM

757 posts, read 1,328,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
It looks like you just need to wrap her in chain mael then bubble wrap around that........LOL
I could make her a little suite made of that heavy duty pink bubble wrap, velcro closures, helmet. Oh, she would hate me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I am afraid to touch this thread for fear of jinxing myself. So far though, so good on our front.

Yes, "happy tail" can be an ongoing ordeal I know one client who was well into it for nearly $1,000 and yes they had it amputated, but she kept getting to the sutures and they had to double cone her with the cone of shame!Double coning was seeming to work until she wanted to board her. Sure we could remove for feeding, but she would not have continual access to water. It was dead of Summer when everyone is booked up, well I'm on good ranks with most of the vet clinics in town. She was able to board her at the vet and they actually numbed the tail daily while the dog was boarding so it would not tempt her

I hope your baby grows out of this stage
Me too, she is about 5 now.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:25 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
I've heard about saging houses to remove bad ju-ju - maybe you should wave some sage around Thora??? Or double-cone her, one to the front and one to the back!

My father would call her Calamity Jane. I guess there are dogs that are just like people (me) - klutzes who end up with the most impossible situations from the most innocent of activities.

I've never had one like that and hopefully never will - but I will wish good karma to you and Thora for the future.

Ouch. All of that hurt ME!

Old 09-27-2012, 06:51 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalPitgal View Post
Thora has taught me that most of the time, things are not as urgent as they seem at the first drop of blood. Many injuries do not require a trip to the vet. Dogs do have an amazing ability to heal. Never really had any cats..
True. The freakiest of all our animal accidents was the dog with the cut tongue. He came in from outside and was dripping lots of blood all over the kitchen floor. He kept licking one leg. He was a long haired dog and I kept frantically searching through the hair to find a cut. I was almost ready to start cutting hair away because I couldn't find anything when we realized the blood was dripping from his mouth to his leg. Called the e-vet for advice, who said it's gonna bleed a lot but there's nothing you can do. Went outside and found drops of blood all around the recycling bin, and realized he must have been sticking his tongue in pop cans. Nothing serious, but that kitchen floor looked like someone had been stabbed there!

Old 09-27-2012, 08:15 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,015 times
I wish I could offer a magic incantation that would allow her to only wag that tail gently, but alas I have no such remedy to give you.

About the only thing I can think of that might help reduce, but not totally eliminate the excessive waging, is to unfailingly put her in a sit or even a down when it starts, at least when folks come to visit and she is so excited. Maybe have a special mat or little rug that she has to go to out in the open with no walls or heavy furniture within striking distance. Then only give her attention and affection when she does sit in her special place.

I've seen this technique used for dogs that are serious door dashers who bolt outside at every chance. It takes lots and lots of patience before you get a solid behavior but I think it's worth the effort.

I hope you find some good solution and don't have to resort to docking her tail to keep her healthy and your house not looking like a crime scene with blood splatter everywhere.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:20 AM

Thora in her home made "need one now" cone.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:46 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times
My friends have Brittney spaniel that always gets frequently injured too, An example of a week was she got bit on the lip by a snapping turtle she was pestering then later that same week as the lip was healing she went into the garage and there are some fishing poles hung up on the garage wall and she jumped up maybe smelled old bait on them(?) and managed to snag her lip on a large fish hook and when her owner walked in a few minutes later there she was haging by her lip a few feet off the floor. I swear this dog finds anything and everything that can cause her harm!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs