Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 03:56 PM

575 posts, read 1,996,551 times

Advertisements

So first - hello - some of you may know me from the cat forum.

Shock - I have a dog!

Anyway we have a nice old couple that live behind us and they like our dog (probably more than I do - but that's for another day). They are Constantly feeding our dog these nasty Milk Bone or Grocery store brand goodies.

I have asked them not two several times. I have even BOUGHT them cookies to give to my dog! I feed my dog very good food and select ingredient treats. He has food intolerance and we manage his treats carefully because he is a big (weight wise) dog. The cookies they give to him make him puke, give him diarrhea, and they are just nasty.

My post is mostly just to vent - but any suggestions you may have are appreciated. I try not to let my dog out to potty (all he goes out for) when I see the neighbors out but it's not always possible. I try to call him in when I see them come out, but the dog is not cooperative. He runs to the old man with the yucky cookies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 04:11 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,107 times
I would have a chat with them about giving treats to your dog and tell them what its doing to him. You can also train your dog not to take treats from people. Congrats on your pup BTW

Old 09-25-2012, 04:13 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times
Have told told the neighbors that your dog has food intolerances? If not tell them and explain to them that he is not allowed any treats except for some special ones you have.

Many older people grew up with dogs that ate Milk bones and such and their dogs did fine on them so they see no problem with it and so maybe if you explain the dogs intolerance they will stop giving him treats. I am sure they don't want to make him sick.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:18 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
No, I didn't know you have a dog! Or more likely didn't remember, it does sound vaguely familiar now.
Have you given them the gory details of what their treats do to him? I'd tell them one last time, getting as descriptive as possible and sounding like you're at your wit's end with his tummy troubles. (I hate it when people are trying to be nice but they're really clueless about it. It's harder to deal with that than it is to deal with jerks.) If that doesn't work you might have to consider privacy fencing for that side of the yard.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:22 PM

575 posts, read 1,996,551 times
-LOL no congrats on the pup (but thanks!) he's 12. And yes, I've TOLD them more than once - asked nicely as we like these people - not to give him anything because it makes him sick. I've TOLD them that he pukes etc. That the dog can't eat certain things. They still kept feeding him the crap stuff. So I mentioned it again - no help. Then I bought them a bag of what we give him and told them where I buy them. The boutique store is about 5 minutes from us and they know where it is. This has been on going for forever. They feed our other neighbors dog to - but they don't care.

And there is NO training my dog to do anything But again that's for another day.

During the hot hot summer and winter it's not such a problem because they are not outside as much. But every spring and fall the problem flairs up again. So I'm just dealing with it again now. Just wondering if anyone else has this sort of trouble.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:35 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
Go to the shelter and get them their own dog, try to find one with food allergies?

Just kidding......

Old 09-25-2012, 04:43 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittymom4 View Post
So first - hello - some of you may know me from the cat forum.

Shock - I have a dog!

Anyway we have a nice old couple that live behind us and they like our dog (probably more than I do - but that's for another day). They are Constantly feeding our dog these nasty Milk Bone or Grocery store brand goodies.

I have asked them not two several times. I have even BOUGHT them cookies to give to my dog! I feed my dog very good food and select ingredient treats. He has food intolerance and we manage his treats carefully because he is a big (weight wise) dog. The cookies they give to him make him puke, give him diarrhea, and they are just nasty.

My post is mostly just to vent - but any suggestions you may have are appreciated. I try not to let my dog out to potty (all he goes out for) when I see the neighbors out but it's not always possible. I try to call him in when I see them come out, but the dog is not cooperative. He runs to the old man with the yucky cookies!
Put it in writing and mail it to them....or have the Sheriff serve them your certified letter. Obviously they do not get it. Describe what it does to your dog, and that you do not wish to have to send them the next Vet bill, but that you need to impress upon them that No One is to feed your dog except your family. Stop being so nice...Just because they are old, they won't break. Heck I'm old...but believe me I know my boundaries and would never give treats to my neighbors dog w/out permission.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:29 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
There are so many articles in newspapers and on the internet about how many dogs have been harmed by treats from China. Print a few of them in large print and ask them to look it over. Then you might take them a list of charges from your vet so they can see how much it would cost THEM if what they fed your dog made him sick All this could be done in a kind way.

Last it might be fun to make up a packet of dog cookie recipes and suggest they try them and see how your dog and the neighborhood dogs like them.

I used to have a neighbor who loved putting food out for the neighborhood dogs and cats and she thought she was doing us all a big favor. She liked having the companionship of the pets but didn't really want the responsibility.

This was way before dogs running lose was forbidden. It was not at all uncommon to come home and find a dog or two who lived down the street sunning himself on our front porch but when other people's dogs started barking at us in our own yard my father had to ask neighbors to keep their dogs on their own property and we did the same.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:22 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,493,450 times
Take pictures of runny stools and barf...and print them out. Show pictures to neighbors. A picture is worth a 1000 words... apparently they are not hearing you.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:44 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Obviously they mean well, but are misguided. They may just be a bit lonely, and elderly folks don't always have the energy to own their own dog and are probably enjoying yours.
Figure out if the issue is you do not want them to treat your dog AT ALL, or that you want them to treat only w/ those items you allow.

Then, formally have your neighbors over and sit with them and share your concerns. This will give the discussion more importance then the "over the fence" after the damage is done.... exchange that has not worked for you so far.

At this meeting...make it simple. Everyone understands allergies.......tell them he is allergic and could die unless they follow your list. Hand them a very short list, 1-2 treats...and where they can purchase them..... if you are going to allow them to feed only certain things. They will probably decide that it is too much hassle and they will quit feeding him anything. Problem solved either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs