Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 07:54 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times

Advertisements

I made an 11 hour trip with 3 dogs and 3 cats. The dogs did fine and I stopped a couple of times for a quick walk. The only problem was when I was less than an hour from my destination when one dog was standing between the front seats and threw up in my hand!!!! Of course I was on a 2 lane road with no place to pull over. Thankfully it wasn't that bad.

I agree take them for rides to be sure they like to ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 08:33 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
to avoid the vomiting issue, no food 8 hours before the trip and pickup water 1 hour before leaving, dont worry your dog WONT starve to death, on the trip offer SMALL amounts of water at pit stopps, sips not gulps...feed small meals when you arrive at your overnight destination (about 1/2 of what they are used to)
free acces to water once stopped for the night. in the morning again no water for about an hour before the trip and continue on...
for sliping/sliding travel crate issues, go to your local dollar store/walmart/whatever, head over to the home goods kitchen ection and look for shelf liner, your looking for the rubberized none skid type stuff get enough to line the bottom of each travel crate. then TOWELS or cheap fleece/throw away blankets ontop. the shelf liner prevents things from slipping around towels mean easy clean up if they throw up (make sure to pack plenty of extra towels/blanket, some plastic bags and a few rolls of paper towels just in case too)

Old 10-21-2012, 09:56 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,684,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LissaF26 View Post
Thanks a bunch for this website hueyeats. This will help me out a great deal
Very welcome Lissa.
Hope its a smooth ride for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
to avoid the vomiting issue, no food 8 hours before the trip and pickup water 1 hour before leaving, dont worry your dog WONT starve to death, on the trip offer SMALL amounts of water at pit stopps, sips not gulps...feed small meals when you arrive at your overnight destination (about 1/2 of what they are used to)
free acces to water once stopped for the night. in the morning again no water for about an hour before the trip and continue on...
for sliping/sliding travel crate issues, go to your local dollar store/walmart/whatever, head over to the home goods kitchen ection and look for shelf liner, your looking for the rubberized none skid type stuff get enough to line the bottom of each travel crate. then TOWELS or cheap fleece/throw away blankets ontop. the shelf liner prevents things from slipping around towels mean easy clean up if they throw up (make sure to pack plenty of extra towels/blanket, some plastic bags and a few rolls of paper towels just in case too)
foxywench is right!
I heard the same for cats.
I did the same as foxywench mentioned for many loooong trips with her (my cat).

Also read some place that some dog breeds will "voluntary" not eat for up to 4 days while on "patrolling / guard" duties... My dog is one of the breeds mentioned but unless necessary, I love feeding my pets as I love feeding my DH & DD.... just is a joy to see loved ones eat. Just me.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:06 AM

55 posts, read 103,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
Wow, Foxywench thank you for the detailed info. I will give this a shot. Especially with no eating and taking sips. I think he just gets to queasy eating and going for car ride.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:26 AM

7,380 posts, read 12,673,025 times
We travel with our GSD from border to border (SoCal to North Idaho) and back every summer, a 3-4 day trip each way. We were very worried the first time, but our dog turned out to be a travel champion. The first night in a motel she was very concerned, but once she had her bowls and her blanket, she settled down. Next night she looked for her bowls and blanket in the same spot at the (more or less) identical-looking motel room 600 miles down the road, and that was it--she now has a home away from home in any chain hotel/motel room. So be consistent about where you put your dogs' stuff, and create routines along the way. It'll go a long way toward easing anxieties.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:36 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Well, my dog is very anxious and loves to see what's going on. He does get an upset tummy and vomits sometimes. He settles down after about 20 or so minutes but boy for those 20 minutes he whines, wimpers, and his feet scratches the bottom f his kennel because he won't sit down. He slipping and sliding in his kennel. lol
I would not drug a dog for 20 minutes of peace.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:24 AM

55 posts, read 103,745 times
[quote=Hopes;26603161]I would not drug a dog for 20 minutes of peace.[/QU

I am needing advice for a 2 day trip. Moving from Minnesota to Florida. I was thinking more long term for the trip of pet meds that maybe used. I am not concerned about the first 20 minutes!

Old 10-21-2012, 11:34 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:
Wow, Foxywench thank you for the detailed info. I will give this a shot. Especially with no eating and taking sips. I think he just gets to queasy eating and going for car ride.
All of the positive posts/suggestions such as no feeding 8 hours before, and a anti-slip mat are great . It sounds like your friend suffers more from motion sickness, in which case, drugging your friend probably would make your situation worse, because there's nothing worse than trying to get a doped up animal out of a cage/car to vomit.

If you think you can make your trip one one long drive, your friend will be able to handle no food, but I would occasionally water him/her. You might want to stop here and there every 3-5 hours for the pp breaks.

If you need two-three days travel time, stop at the end of the day for your motel/hotel stay and feed/water only a little bit that evening right when you're stopping, then walk him/her in the morning to do the doggie business, before you put him/her back in the kennel.

You might want to put something in your friend's kennel that's familiar, a ball, toy or other item, it could help calm.

Good Luck! and have a safe trip.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
I am needing advice for a 2 day trip. Moving from Minnesota to Florida. I was thinking more long term for the trip of pet meds that maybe used. I am not concerned about the first 20 minutes!
I'm aware. I don't feel anything you are describing requires medication.

If your dog settles down after 20 minutes, it doesn't matter how long the trip is.

Keep in mind that medication can make dogs vomit too, in a manner that they won't likely stop vomiting even after settling down.

If your dog has problems with motion sickness, medication can make it worse, or actually cause motion sickness if they don't normally have it.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
The only problem was when I was less than an hour from my destination when one dog was standing between the front seats and threw up in my hand!!!! Of course I was on a 2 lane road with no place to pull over. Thankfully it wasn't that bad.
It's no fun driving with vomit in your lap. Been there, done that. But it wasn't a dog, it was my son!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs