Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 01:56 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times

Advertisements

Jessaka, have you checked into the holistic meds any further? I'd really love more info or personal experiences!

Several weeks ago, I adopted a beautiful Weimaraner from the city shelter. I got her checked over by a vet, had her shots done, etc. and everything looked great! On Monday, I made an appointment to have her spayed and the vet wanted to give her the bordatella vaccine and do some bloodwork before surgery so I took her in.

The test was positive for heartworm! I was stunned! She's showing no symptoms at all. Aside from the heartworm test, her bloodwork was totally normal; he listened to her heart and lungs and checked her capillary response. Everything was good.

Morgan eats well, plays a lot, and never coughs, pants or seems short of breath. Her gums are nice and pink, so she's getting a good oxygen supply. Now, I started her on preventative the day I brought her home (I have other dogs her size and lots of preventative in the house), so she's had two doses already. So, I'm wondering if she has a mild case and the preventative (which kills baby heartworms) is taking care of it?

The vet gave me three choices: Do the two-month treatment with shots every four weeks; Do a one month treatment, with two shots given 24 hours apart; or just keep giving her the preventative and waiting out the existing adult heartworms (if any). He said the adult worms would die on their own within a year or two. He said he's had good results with all three choices.

I don't know what to do. I'm on a fixed income and I've already spent hundreds of dollars on her shots, bloodwork and vet visits, so it will be at least three months before I can save enough money to pay for the heartworm treatment. I'm worried about the toxic chemicals and keeping her quiet for two months! I've seen holistic treatment that is quite inexpensive compared to the toxic treatment, but I wonder if it really works?

The article you linked made a lot of sense and sounds like Morgan's situation. She has some heartworms, apparently, since the test was positive, but she's not the least bit sick. I feed my dogs premium food and they're very healthy. But I certainly don't want her heart getting damaged. I'm in a quandary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 03:19 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,400,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdznmore View Post
I took my dog to the vet today and he has heartworms! I have been using Heartgard since I got him in December 2006. We haven't missed a dose (we give it to him on the 15th) I'm scared to death of the treatment and losing him... Has anyone gone through this? Any helpful advice?

Get a retest to make sure before you go through treatment.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:22 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
I would ask for a second test and call/email Heartguard. If you get no where ask the name of the CEO and call or email them. I would also say 'If I don't get a reponse from you I am calling the TV station, Oprah, Today show' or whoever else you can think of who would expose the false guarantee. Believe me they don't want that kind of publicity. Gettin off the soapbox now...

Old 05-19-2012, 11:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,155 times
I need advice to 3 weeks ago my Black Lab had surgery to remove 2 tumors and during his blood work the vet discovered at 10 years old he had heartworms. My dog is still very playful and wants to run needless to say the vet put him on monthly Heartguard plus and 9 doxycycline a day. I couldn't afford the 3 series of shoots the vet wanted him to have so I agreed to start everything so far he is doing ok other than throwing up meds so I decided to give 1 every 2 hours and that seems to help. He is an inside dog that as long as he has his bed to sleep in and a nice cool air he is fine still wanting to play. My question is as long as he is still playful and not laying around should I worry as much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs