Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2012, 06:20 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,764 times

Advertisements

that are on the up and up. I am finding this a very disheartening situation.
Today I got an email from mod cut a rescue organization. The email wanted another donation and they mentioned a West Virginia case which according to them helped put this animal abuser and crimninal in jail. So with nothing better to do I googled mod cut the name mentioned in the email. Numerous articles came up from various newspapers, not just one. mod cutNo where in any of the numerous articles did I find any mention of this organization at all. I am beginning to think these organizations are capitolizing animal abuse cases they in fact had nothing to do with.
mod cut

Last edited by Sam I Am; 11-16-2012 at 04:23 AM.. Reason: No naming names - opens us up for litigation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 09:47 PM

1 posts, read 869 times
Mod cut - see previous edited post

Check out Best Friends Animal Society. WWW.bestfriends.org . They run the largest no-kill sanctuary in the country and are on the lead charge to end to puppy mills and switch over shelters to an effective no-kill model. They are also a sanctuary of "last resort". In other words, they take in the animals that everyone else is turning away. Yes - they also took in some of the Michael Vick dogs. We have adopted dogs from Best Friends. A visit to the sanctuary in Utah is almost a spiritual experience. Incredibly well run and filled with people that LOVE their work. Take a look at their website and google some of their other activities so you can see for yourself. Its an excellent organization.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 11-16-2012 at 04:25 AM..

Old 11-16-2012, 04:24 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times
Folks, please hold your comments to whether or not you believe there are any good orgs left. This is not the place for consumer complaints or debates over certain organizations. Let's proceed carefully and not get into bashing. Thanks.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:04 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Don't donate to any national organization. Walk into your local animal shelter and ask them what they need.

Money, food, blankets, dog grooming, whatever it is your donation will go directly towards caring for homeless animals and none of it spent on advertising or political lobbyists.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:08 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
In fact, if you really want to help animals, locate whoever gives the local low cost spay/neuter and donate to them. Maybe even to the people who trap feral cats and spay neuter all of them.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:28 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times
I work with ARC. They helped me with a hoarding case in my county a while back. Good people doing good work.

The big groups are good. But keep in mind that when you donate to them, you're basically donating for paychecks and costs associated with legislation. And legislation is VERY important. They're the ones fighting for tougher laws to keep our animals safe.

That said, if you want your money to go directly to animals, as in medical bills, food, etc., check your local shelter or a local rescue group. If you go to rescue route, Petfinder is a great way to find them in your area but please call their vet reference and confirm they're a good rescue and spay / neuter and vet every animal that they have. Petfinder tries very hard to only list reputable rescues, but some breeders and hoarders so sneak in.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:53 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I'm interested in supporting both- shelters, individuals tilting at windmills (the two women starting a humane movement in South Korea/the one animal shelter in Kabul). But I want to support national legislation efforts, too. Of course, there are different groups for different animals- like Humane Farming Association to support more humane treatment of food animals (and they do not expect the country to go vegan all together). I am still trying to decide what I think of HSUS and its national legislative program- I think it's the biggest and most prominent, even while there are controversies about some of their stances.
Animal League Defense Fund is national, and is involved in cruelty cases of different animals and cruelty legislation, like trying to make animal cruelty a felony everywhere (as is HSUS).
Best Friends took, I think, 22 of Vick's victim dogs. A couple of them were ordered by the judge to live their lives at B.F., and the others are being rehabilitated or have been adopted. They have a whole special area for pittie rehab and research, and I'm told that volunteers don't go to that area. Vick was ordered to pay, I think, a million dollars for their care and keeping.
I look at charitynavigator.org and Guidestar for some reviews of financial effectiveness. Of course the groups are primarily the larger ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs