Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 03:44 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar View Post
Sadly, our vet warned us last week to stop taking our dogs to a pet store in town that allows pets because our vet has seen several cases of Parvo and fleas -- all from dogs who have recently been to the same store.
Yes, that is definitely a concern, but hopefully your dog is vaccinated & flea-treated... if so, you shouldn't have to worry, but of course always be aware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 05:35 AM

859 posts, read 2,148,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Not taking them around other dogs is like locking yourself behind closed doors because you are afraid of getting sick...poor doggie. #1 Make sure your dog is current on all shots. For puppies that would be about 4 mos but check with your vet. #2 If you are really going around strange dogs alot re booster every 6 months instead of yearly. #3 pick up after your dog..if you see others not then advoid that area as lots of nasty things are transfered in poo [parvo for 1]. #4 Relax & Enjoy!
I assume you are refering to me

1: All my Dogs are Up to date on all shots, thank you
2: We dont have a Dog park close enouh, we are out in the country, not that it matters, I still wouldnt take my Dogs there. MY choice.
3: Poor dog? Have you been to my House? If not...you have no right to even say this.
I can guarantee with 100% certainty that none of my Dogs are *poor dogs*
they have a huge back yard to play in, 3 Kids who play with them daily, and more toys then most Kids, and they have their own beds.

I didnt say anything keeping them behind * Closed doors* they go for walks, and go on grocery runs, they go too school, to pick up kids.

Dont be so quick to judge People...

Old 10-15-2007, 08:57 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
So you DO get them out..which is what this thread is about!

Old 10-15-2007, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin71 View Post
I take one or the other with me never both, cause I dont them fighting over spots lol

But no I dont take them in stores either, as Cloesmom said, you just never know who is UTD with shots, or what other things they may carry arround with them. I just dont want too take that risk.
I dont even go to the Dog park for that reason.....
Isn't that the point of having your dog vaccinated? According to every vet I've had, that keeps your pet safe from the majority of (common) diseases...

Old 10-15-2007, 11:50 AM

284 posts, read 1,681,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yes, that is definitely a concern, but hopefully your dog is vaccinated & flea-treated... if so, you shouldn't have to worry, but of course always be aware.

Absolutely! However, both of our dogs are under 2 years (and one is a toy breed and is especially vulnerable), so they are more likely to get Parvo despite the vaccinations.

Theories on problems in our local store:
1) Most people are taking their dogs to the store on the weekend. That is when adoptions from agencies are taking place. One or more of the dogs brought fleas into the store, and the store hasn't gotten rid of them effectively. The fleas are hanging around the store, waiting for new hosts.
2) Parvo is a huge problem in our area. Perhaps one of the adoption dogs or just a dog visiting the store brought the Parvo into the store.
3) Even if the adoption agencies try to ensure the health of their adoptees, they can't. For example, when we adopted our Jackabee, she had been dipped but still had ticks dying on her when we took her home. She had terrible Red Mange (not contagious from dog-to-dog (only mother to puppy) but should have been caught by the adoption agency). They didn't know it, and when we tried to get them to notify the rest of the litter mates' new owners (so they could get their puppies treated), they were too unorganized to handle what should have been a simple request.
4) Strangers try to pet other people's dogs. The people who pet stranger's dogs can spread Parvo if they have had contact with an infected dog. It can be on their clothes, shoes, etc.

It is so scary! I am really rethinking taking our dogs out in public except on a have-to basis. Maybe we'll just visit friends and family for play dates and take rides in the car.

Last edited by Scholar; 10-15-2007 at 12:09 PM..

Old 10-16-2007, 10:51 AM

430 posts, read 1,263,950 times
Sis goes with us to stores like; Lowes, Home Depot, the cycle shop, PetSmart etc. As long as the store does not sell or serve food we can take her. That being said, she's only a 9 pound Maltese and rides in the cart when we go into these places. Even in PetSmart I don't like her on the floor....I have seen dogs lifting their legs on the shelves and we don't want her around that mess....

O.Nana

Old 10-16-2007, 04:59 PM

859 posts, read 2,148,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Isn't that the point of having your dog vaccinated? According to every vet I've had, that keeps your pet safe from the majority of (common) diseases...

yes it is,,, but do I really want to take a chance that some out of controll dog will eat my 6 lb maltese? NO!!!!! thank you.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:13 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I also have a female dog that is female dog aggressive and don't want that problem either.

The dog parks are an entire different issue that I'm not fond of however I'm not going to hijack this thread on that topic
Really I should have written we did the dog parks because we don't anymore.....my husband no longer wants to take my female anywhere off-leash due to her rowdiness/rough play .

The beach still works though....just on-leash the whole time.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:18 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Nana View Post
Sis goes with us to stores like; Lowes, Home Depot, the cycle shop, PetSmart etc. As long as the store does not sell or serve food we can take her. That being said, she's only a 9 pound Maltese and rides in the cart when we go into these places. Even in PetSmart I don't like her on the floor....I have seen dogs lifting their legs on the shelves and we don't want her around that mess....

O.Nana
I think urine is sterile, at least with people it is (the ammonia or something?). Fecal matter is where the danger is (parasites, worms,...).

Old 10-20-2007, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar View Post
Absolutely! However, both of our dogs are under 2 years (and one is a toy breed and is especially vulnerable), so they are more likely to get Parvo despite the vaccinations.

Theories on problems in our local store:
1) Most people are taking their dogs to the store on the weekend. That is when adoptions from agencies are taking place. One or more of the dogs brought fleas into the store, and the store hasn't gotten rid of them effectively. The fleas are hanging around the store, waiting for new hosts.
2) Parvo is a huge problem in our area. Perhaps one of the adoption dogs or just a dog visiting the store brought the Parvo into the store.
3) Even if the adoption agencies try to ensure the health of their adoptees, they can't. For example, when we adopted our Jackabee, she had been dipped but still had ticks dying on her when we took her home. She had terrible Red Mange (not contagious from dog-to-dog (only mother to puppy) but should have been caught by the adoption agency). They didn't know it, and when we tried to get them to notify the rest of the litter mates' new owners (so they could get their puppies treated), they were too unorganized to handle what should have been a simple request.
4) Strangers try to pet other people's dogs. The people who pet stranger's dogs can spread Parvo if they have had contact with an infected dog. It can be on their clothes, shoes, etc.

It is so scary! I am really rethinking taking our dogs out in public except on a have-to basis. Maybe we'll just visit friends and family for play dates and take rides in the car.
I see your points, and totally understand where it's a concern... in fact, I'm guessing that most vets don't recommend taking dogs to the pet store, for just those reasons. I usually go on the weekdays, plus our local stores don't get a ton of doggies (maybe 3-4 TOPS at one time), and rarely/never hold adoptions. I also don't think Parvo is a huge issue here, since I've never known of any cases - not saying there aren't any, but maybe it's less common here? Finally, my dog is very shy with letting strangers pet him, and particular about which dogs he'll sniff & greet... it's more of an activity for us alone, and one that we've enjoyed since he was a puppy. He's never caught anything thus far, so I'm not personally concerned, but fully support your reasoning here.

P.S. Sorry to drag out an "old" thread, but I just noticed your response when somebody repped me for my post (as a happy birthday cookie, LOL).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs