Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 10:29 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,355 times

Advertisements

Snofarmer, sorry to hear about your dog glad you caught the incident.

Although I feed my dog raw I am picky about which bones they get, if its something I don't feel comfortable with I usually just cut the bone out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 05:17 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,274,673 times
I have a nine year old border collie who has been gnawing marrow bones for years. She has the teeth of a young dog. I buy the small marrow bones at the grocery store (about four inches long, and two inches in diameter, and frozen.) I generally throw the bone away after she's chewed on it for a few hours.

I don't doubt that I may be putting my dog at risk, but at the same time, I don't have to pay huge vet bills for teeth cleaning, and other canine dental work. So maybe it's an either or decision one has to make.

Actually, my vet is the one who told me to buy the marrow bones because I started to notice tartar on her teeth. Since I started buying the bones, her teeth are gleaming. Matter of fact, someone at the dog park commented on how beautiful her teeth are for a nine year old.

My girl is a healthy gal who hasn't even begun to show her age, except for a little white around the muzzle. She is in wonderful condition. Course, if I ran the way this gal does every day, I would be in great shape too.

Katie

Old 12-11-2012, 07:10 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,554,925 times
A lot depends on how the dog chews. I have seen GSDs shatter a cows hoof with one bite. I wish I had taken a picture of one of my dog's completely worn down premolars -

Old 12-11-2012, 03:00 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,243,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Pumpkin has never worked for Artie. I know that white rice (not brown) hardens stools, but Artie is grain intolerant. (Difficult!) What's been working for Artie for a number of years now is a teaspoon of Metamucil powder on his kibble (shaken up so that it gets incorporated).

Good luck!
How Bondish... shaken, not stirred.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:26 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,000,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Sam, I've always heard that chicken bones can be deadly, because they splinter. So I guess the conclusion is no bones at all. We've always used those large pet-store hollowed-out bones with meat fillings, because they keep the pooch nicely preoccupied, but even they get chipped at the edges. And I also worry about them damaging our dog's teeth. But in nature dogs would be crunching on all those things...so I guess the lesson is, nature isn't infallible!

Snofarmer, best wishes for your dog's continued recovery!

Paw, will watch the bones video. Can't do it on my Droid, and the computer is down...
Chicken bones COOKED have the "deadly" label. However, I have known dog owners who regularly fed their dogs on fried chicken leftovers. The thought of it floored me - but their comment was "never had a problem".

Raw bones are superior because they don't splinter, as cooked do, and apparently the digestive system will actually break them down somewhat, and because the edges aren't usually sharp. Raw bones are wonderful for the teeth. Cooked bones that are big enough the dog can't break them up are also excellent for the teeth. They create chewing (knawing) action, and the hard surface scrubs the teeth. So far I have found this to be preferable to a veterinary dental bill every year or two.

I'm still looking in to all the ins and outs of feeding raw, and what bones are "ok". But, I think one thing I will take from snofarmer's experience is that there are limits to everything. I'm right there with his thinking when he gave the dog these bones to begin with. With a dog that large, any splintering he could do to those calf bones I would have thought would have been harmlessly digested or passed. I'll have to look into what other are saying about no weight-bearing bones. But, if raw bones were an everyday hazard, not an exceptional one, then every in-the-wild wolf would be dead within a couple of weeks, I'd guess.

I've been feeding beef soup bones, raw, and some neckbones, raw, to my two hound-types (55-65 lbs). Once or twice a week. So far, no harm and healthier teeth. I'd prefer chicken or turkey backs and necks, as they were the preferred bone source of the person who convinced me to try raw - but these two grew up on canned and kibble, and I was having trouble getting them converted. Cooked soup-size bones had been a once a month treat from way back - and the accustomization to raw soup bones was somewhat easier.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:21 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,000,178 times
BTW - a link to the Mercola webmag was posted earlier in this thread. That link wasn't particularly helpful, and still required some searching, so here are the results I found on that site that seem to be what the op was referring to:

The Importance of Raw Bones for Dogs and Cats

Bones Can Kill Your Dog So Find Out which Ones are Safe

Nothing new there for me - but validation of some points of concern for me. Does offer some guidelines - at some point in one of her articles the vet author says (paraphrase) "You can't give a dog a bone that is too big. You can give the dog a bone that is too small." Which seems like good advice.

Personally, vet or not, I don't think I've seen good enough science on this subject, or on pet diet, for that matter. Sure, food companies have been looking at this stuff for decades and decades, but they have a vested interest, and a profit motive. I'd like to see more work on the range of affects on domestic dogs of raw food, bones, etc.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:36 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
ive personally sold thousands of lbs of raw chicken to pet owners for their dogs (I was a meat manager in a supermarket) they'd buy leg quarters(by the case) when they were on sale

i use to ask the dog owners, wouldnt the dogs choke on the chicken bones?? and many would tell me, there vet recommended it- said the processed cooked dog food of today is causing all the allergies.

I had two greyhounds, retired racers, i didnt dare to give them raw chicken, but what i did,,was bring home some beef fat (not suet) - didnt cost anything and cook that up for them....they of course loved it- it was good for their coats

raw beef bones, i never had a problem with them, the dogs loved em

Old 04-09-2013, 08:50 AM

7,106 posts, read 4,825,782 times
I've seen a couple of posts on this thread saying you feed raw chicken backs to your dogs. I haven't done this, am kind of scared of all bones for the anti-bone reasons stated in this thread. But I can't help but feel my dog (around 75 lbs) would swallow a chicken back whole. He's an "animal" when it comes to food pretty much!

Not sure what the answer is here, I am not looking forward to having to bring him in and do dentals on him, either. Can someone explain to me why a weight baring bone is more dangerous than a smaller bone? It seems to me it would be the opposite, other than the possibility of cracking/chipping a tooth.

I have gotten my dog a couple of Elk Antlers, and they are really sturdy and do not splinter as long as they are whole ones, not split ones. But he doesn't care for them.

I've also read that raw trachea and chicken feet (ugh and ugh) are good, as they are made up of mostly cartilage.

Glad the OP's pup is fine after the ordeal.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:10 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,355,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I've seen a couple of posts on this thread saying you feed raw chicken backs to your dogs. I haven't done this, am kind of scared of all bones for the anti-bone reasons stated in this thread. But I can't help but feel my dog (around 75 lbs) would swallow a chicken back whole. He's an "animal" when it comes to food pretty much!

Not sure what the answer is here, I am not looking forward to having to bring him in and do dentals on him, either. Can someone explain to me why a weight baring bone is more dangerous than a smaller bone? It seems to me it would be the opposite, other than the possibility of cracking/chipping a tooth.

I have gotten my dog a couple of Elk Antlers, and they are really sturdy and do not splinter as long as they are whole ones, not split ones. But he doesn't care for them.

I've also read that raw trachea and chicken feet (ugh and ugh) are good, as they are made up of mostly cartilage.

Pug, we fed raw chicken, pork, lamb, whole fish and goat -- all with bones -- for 12 years. Believe me, it is a wonderful diet. Not only is it safe, it is extremely good for dogs. Their teeth were great, their breath was wonderful, their overheal health was amazing, and they made small poops that didn't stink! Beef bones are not really part of the raw diet though, because they're too big and hard. Poultry bones are absolutely fine. You trust me, right? No? Well, would you trust Jimmy?

Sushi Dog - YouTube

We lost him at 14 years, but he sure did eat well in his life.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:45 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,816,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post

Cracking and chipping teeth is precisely why weight-bearing bones from a large animal should not be fed. Even raw, they're just to dense and hard.

Trachea is good to chew on because it acts like floss. Chicken feet are a good source of what's needed for joint health... can't think of what it's called at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs