Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 07:41 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,090,629 times

Advertisements

Riveree Any news? I thought about you and your little charge first thing this morning and wondered how things went.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 08:55 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
Thumbs up *update*

Thank you so much to everyone who was able to respond last night, it really helped me to think things through . I've never before dealt with a pregnant/lactating female dog, so this was all brand new to me.

Here's the update after this morning's vet visit:

It appears she is roughly 2 years old (older than I thought), no puppies inside (thank you! ), her pups - wherever they might be - are possibly as old as 6 weeks, but she was with them just recently (last 24 hours?) because she is full of milk.

My vet feels this dog was a breeder . We checked for worms and there were none of any kind (no heartworms, no belly worms). This would be unusual in a feral dog unless she was very lucky. It appears this dog was well taken care of nutritionally and medically (she's probably been getting heartworm prevention and was probably wormed for belly worms too). The scarring/bite wounds could be from being caged up with other dogs (she does not seem at all familiar with the concept of being indoors...probably caged).

Timing as it is, and the fact that she was free to travel back to her pups yesterday if they were in the vicinity (instead of running up and down my street), my vet said it's likely someone bred her, let her barely wean her pups, and then dumped her yesterday .

He said that even though 6 weeks is really too young, people who do this want the money and they usually sell the pups young. This dog looks "pit enough" to be used as a breeder, though she is very small and looking at her, you wouldn't normally think "I should breed this dog". Her pups would come out looking pit enough to sell .

THE GOOD NEWS........health-wise, she's looking quite good. She'll be spayed soon enough and he gave her a shot to dry up her milk, we'll have to watch for Mastitis. Temperment-wise, she is great, he said she would have no problem being adopted out.

FOR NOW........she is in the care of my vet for today. Tomorrow morning, we'll take my female dog to meet her there and see how they do together. My vet said since this dog is much smaller than mine, if she'll take a submissive role with my female, it might work out, but if not, we should be able to get her adopted through a rescue group - she's that sweet of a dog .

If she passes muster with my female, then she'll meet my male dog and then we'll see how she does with cats & birds........baby steps !

Old 10-16-2007, 09:48 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,401,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Thank you so much to everyone who was able to respond last night, it really helped me to think things through . I've never before dealt with a pregnant/lactating female dog, so this was all brand new to me.

Here's the update after this morning's vet visit:

It appears she is roughly 2 years old (older than I thought), no puppies inside (thank you! ), her pups - wherever they might be - are possibly as old as 6 weeks, but she was with them just recently (last 24 hours?) because she is full of milk.

My vet feels this dog was a breeder . We checked for worms and there were none of any kind (no heartworms, no belly worms). This would be unusual in a feral dog unless she was very lucky. It appears this dog was well taken care of nutritionally and medically (she's probably been getting heartworm prevention and was probably wormed for belly worms too). The scarring/bite wounds could be from being caged up with other dogs (she does not seem at all familiar with the concept of being indoors...probably caged).

Timing as it is, and the fact that she was free to travel back to her pups yesterday if they were in the vicinity (instead of running up and down my street), my vet said it's likely someone bred her, let her barely wean her pups, and then dumped her yesterday .

He said that even though 6 weeks is really too young, people who do this want the money and they usually sell the pups young. This dog looks "pit enough" to be used as a breeder, though she is very small and looking at her, you wouldn't normally think "I should breed this dog". Her pups would come out looking pit enough to sell .

THE GOOD NEWS........health-wise, she's looking quite good. She'll be spayed soon enough and he gave her a shot to dry up her milk, we'll have to watch for Mastitis. Temperment-wise, she is great, he said she would have no problem being adopted out.

FOR NOW........she is in the care of my vet for today. Tomorrow morning, we'll take my female dog to meet her there and see how they do together. My vet said since this dog is much smaller than mine, if she'll take a submissive role with my female, it might work out, but if not, we should be able to get her adopted through a rescue group - she's that sweet of a dog .

If she passes muster with my female, then she'll meet my male dog and then we'll see how she does with cats & birds........baby steps !
This is what I thought. She was dumped. Very sad. How confused she must be. Thank you for taking care of her.

Greenie

Old 10-16-2007, 10:07 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
This is what I thought. She was dumped. Very sad. How confused she must be. Thank you for taking care of her.

Greenie
Isn't it terrible? Though I have to say, I'm relieved that the decision to keep her overnight appears to be the right one......we were really stressing over that one (could you tell by my panicked typing ?).

She's still scared and trembling quite a bit, tail tucked under and all that, but she seems to have a good spirit, so I know she's going to be okay .

I'll try to get some pics tomorrow......she's got a cute little mug !

Old 10-16-2007, 10:09 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Best of luck and I hope that you can keep her!

Old 10-16-2007, 11:03 AM

74 posts, read 307,134 times
I think what you did is GREAT - thank God for people like you. These dogs are so abused.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-16-2007, 12:08 PM

236 posts, read 442,075 times
You and your hubby are amazing people. Pits have such a bad rap. Most people would have just called animal control. Pit Bulls are usually always destroyed if picked up. I have no doubt you will be able to find a loving home for her if you are not able to keep her. It breaks my heart when I hear about animals who are abused. Very sad. I am a firm believer that anyone capable of harming an animal is capable of harming a human.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:36 PM

2 posts, read 3,833 times
You Did A Wonderful Thing For The Dog!! Have You Picked A Name For Her Yet? I Hope U Get To Keep Her She Will Return All The Care And Love U Gave Her. I Have A Pit, A Rottie, And A Boxer. Ha All The Dogs With Bad Reps, They Are All Very Loving.. As For Kitty Slowly It Will Work Out.. Best Wishes.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:41 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
You are very kind...many blessings on you.
Breeders who are irresponsible....hope they get what is coming to them!
That poor dog.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:38 PM

10 posts, read 18,929 times
You and your husband are both really kind to go to so much trouble for a stray - there are plenty of people out there who would have just kept on walking.

Are there any rescue organisations near you that you can call for advice? They might be able to suggest something or offer some practical help.

Best wishes

Stuart
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs