Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2013, 06:10 AM

2 posts, read 14,408 times

Advertisements

My dog had reconstructive surgery on her front leg. They put three plates in her and a bunch of screws to hold those plates in place. I kept her confined for 8 weeks with no activity but occasionally she would begin to try to be active and do things like spin around or try to jump in excitement. I kept her as calm as possible though. Even giving her tranquilizers to keep her calm. Now about 8 weeks after surgery, 3 of the screws broke off into her leg... If the screws broke with the little attempts at activity now, why am i being told by numerous people that the plates and screws will hold up in the long run? Am i supposed to think that in a year she can run around without having everything break? She just went into surgery again yesterday and they removed what they could of the broken screws and put in new ones around the tips (still in the bone) of the old ones.
Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 07:35 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,670,748 times
I can't really comment on this but it might be help
ful for others to know the breed or at least size of your dog. I hope the repair will prove sucessful!

Old 08-20-2013, 09:48 AM

1,076 posts, read 2,369,084 times
What has your vet or ortho vet said? The scar tissue and muscle is supposed to form during the inactivity period following surgery. My concern right now would be 1) Are the screws that broke off doing damage internally? 2) How is she walking- poorly, well, great?

Do you have a crate? My dog has 2 partially torn ACL's and I have her crated when im not home or cant contain her (in shower, cooking dinner, etc) and leashed when we're out and about. The sedatives help, but time them for when she'll be the most active.

Hope this helps, but call the vet asap.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:19 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
Sounds like the screws were defective. Stop knocking her out... for the next few weeks crate & walk on leash. Long walks to build bone & muscle helps healing. Mt gf rottie broke his upper forleg & dislocated it a yr later he past CGC and UKC CD which requires jumping over 24"+ on recall 2 months after that he won his 1st among many agility titles.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:46 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
I would be getting a second opinion from a different practice.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:34 AM

2 posts, read 14,408 times
She is a beagle basset hound miz. Weighs about 33 lbs. She had another surgery to replace the broken screws and is now being boarded for 6 weeks. I just worry because her leg looks as crooked as before. Do dogs with plates eventually return to their same level of activity? Will she ever be able to run and jump again? I know its hard to say without knowing her specific details but I'm trying to find out if most dogs with leg plates do make a full recovery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs