Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 11:31 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,060,634 times

Advertisements

You are not a bad dog mom, Dazzle is just very skilled at the guilt trip. I'm sure they will both have fun and be sooooooo happy when you come home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 11:46 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,452,988 times
[quote=Dogmama50;27442710]You are not a bad dog mom, Dazzle is just very skilled at the guilt trip./QUOTE]

I agree

But I know how heartbreaking it is to see "that" look on their faces.

My dog knew when I brought out the suitcase.... trouble was coming

So I learned to pull it out and pack when he was sleeping.

They'll be ok.

Happy Holidays!

Old 12-21-2012, 12:03 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,480,953 times
He'll just appreciate your non-boarding times even more. (;

We could board our dogs when we travel but it would be $50/day. Instead, we hire a petsitting company to come and actually spend the night in our home (about $75). It's worth it b/c it gives us piece of mind that the house is not sitting empty.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:22 PM

737 posts, read 2,588,183 times
We were up to 5 dogs, now down to 3. We are fortunate to have a pet-sitter who stays overnight and we're now paying $65/day.

Our pet-sitter loves getting paid in cash, prefers our home to her apartment, comes and goes as the dogs' schedule permits and our home is occupied! What a deal.

I have boarded when we only had one and the facility was so cool. They had cameras on the entire area, inside and out so you could see your pet getting human interaction and resting in their run. Now that we've moved, we don't have that facility available but I definitely agree that they will freak out with happiness upon your return.

You're not a bad Mom at all. You've selected an environment that will care for them and that is exactly what parents of human kids do all the time, even daily. So just enjoy the holiday and know they'll be there when you return with tails a'waggin'.

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-21-2012, 03:13 PM

857 posts, read 2,217,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBeachFL View Post
We were up to 5 dogs, now down to 3. We are fortunate to have a pet-sitter who stays overnight and we're now paying $65/day.

Our pet-sitter loves getting paid in cash, prefers our home to her apartment, comes and goes as the dogs' schedule permits and our home is occupied! What a deal.

I have boarded when we only had one and the facility was so cool. They had cameras on the entire area, inside and out so you could see your pet getting human interaction and resting in their run. Now that we've moved, we don't have that facility available but I definitely agree that they will freak out with happiness upon your return.

You're not a bad Mom at all. You've selected an environment that will care for them and that is exactly what parents of human kids do all the time, even daily. So just enjoy the holiday and know they'll be there when you return with tails a'waggin'.

Merry Christmas!
Yes that is what we paid here,they are too old to leave now though,so stay home or for a brief getaway take then with us,.

mod cut

Last edited by Sam I Am; 12-22-2012 at 04:11 AM.. Reason: please don't discuss moderation - contact me with the specific post if you need explanation

Old 12-21-2012, 10:26 PM

501 posts, read 1,296,339 times
Over the decades, we've done it many different ways. As long as your dog is in good hands, I don't think it makes a difference which way you pick. For us, it depended on where we could find the best care, and what life stage we were at - traveling more by air in the U.S. and overseas for career, or lightly here and there to visit people or explore, or now staying within the U.S. as we travel.

We originally boarded them at a couple of kennels, but boy did they punish us (once, we asked the kennel where their old king sized blankets were, and were given a brown paper bag full of what looked like lint, as they'd torn them to shreds). Kitty would always spray in the car on the way home, he was so hopping mad (in a carrier after the first time of that nonsense). My boy Jake the wonder german shorthair climbed right on out of a chain link kennel at one boarding operation (I'd warned the owner & she said she'd put a top on it, but didn't), yep, a 95# dog dashed right up the side and FREEDOM! Gave me such a fright to learn of it, scared the boarding place's owner as well.

Jake could not only climb kennels and ladders, he could open doors both ways (in and out, because we had lever handles). Good grief, even when he had a small seizure at home at 2 am and we rushed him to the Dove Lewis ER, they called me the next morning to say he'd not only recovered, but he'd climbed out of the run, and then proceeded to open quite a few other runs on the way to the emergency exit - at which point they caught him and a few others he'd let out before he went through that door to the street (you know the kind of emergency bar across the door that you just press? Would have been too easy for him). They said come get him now, lol....

So pretty much, our dogs made it as stressful for us on our trips (worried sick every time the danged phone rang while we were away) as it was for them to be boarded, so we took the hint and ended up using a house sitter who lived in and watched the dogs and cat. Yeah, she brought over a boyfriend, and I always expected my freezer to be cleaned out of lean cuisines (it was a stand alone freezer, so that meant quite a bit of food for them). Wore my clothes. But she was good with my animals, even got my cat to a vet in an emergency (recognized it, took care of it while we were unreachable out of the country). I knew her personally as an acquaintance, and that is why crossing the lines happened, but my dogs and cats were thrilled and safe. So I just make a few adjustments in where I kept things and what I put in a safe, and all was well, from my animals perspective, at least.

Fast forward to now where we are semi-retired/work at home, and the dogs go where we go, and if they can't, I just pick somewhere else to go. When we travel, they have a home on wheels with us in our trailer. The only way they wouldn't go with us is if there was an emergency, and I'd probably use the boarding facility at my vet clinic.

I guess my theory is that if you are boarding them, and they don't give a raft of crap for leaving them, then you are doing something wrong
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs