Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 08:25 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,556 times

Advertisements

Right now I use the vita flex MSM for my eldest boy. Seems to help him but I wonder if there is anything else I can give him. Tried the glucosamine pills and tablets didn't really notice that much of a difference. As well as the liquid health 5000 with same results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 01:40 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,383,913 times
How giant, and how old? I'd say, if your dog has lived a long life without hip displacia or other health problems, you must already be doing something right. Otherwise, any vet or pet health food store should help.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:26 PM

My boy is a 7 year old Great Dane. He can run, jump, and hop of course some days are better than others. Wondering if there is anything I might have missed. I want to keep him like that.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:34 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,061,664 times
My old dogs get Missing Link Ultimate, Fish oil capsules and a glucosamine/MSM pill. Seems to help they're 10 and 12, fairly large and still play like puppies, but they sleep like old dogs.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:16 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,249,488 times
I used to give my 8 yr. old Samoyed Flax & Fish Oil pills every day and Springtime hip and joint tablets.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:51 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,319,034 times
get soup bones with marrow from the butcher. put in water maybe seaweed and boil

remove bones

pour broth over dog food

from my holistic vet which I have used on my 18 year old weimaraner who is still with me. just barely.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:23 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
We give our 9 year old english mastiff a drug dealer or peeping tom once a week. OTher than that we simply give her large breed older dog dry food, glucosomine tablets (by the shovelful) and all the pizza she can beg. She will also lick up the occaisional spill of honey, syrup, gravy, or any other substance we do ot clean up immediately. Oh and she gets an ounce or two of cat poop every week as well, plus about a peck of grass except during the winter. WE give her those big bones form the pet store, but she just licks then for a few hours and then lets the puppy have them.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:27 PM

Get him a puppy.

We found that always perks up our oplder dogs. Also if you move to a cold climate. A prior mastiff we thought was basically dying and could hardly stand up, turned into a puppy for his last two years after we moved from California to Michigan. Giant dogs seem to Love cold.

Seriously, the puppy thing really works. It will annoy him sometimes, but it will perk him up like you would not believe. Puppy will be sad and bewildered when old guy dies, but he will recover. Then when he gets old, he gets a puppy.

We always get the opposite gender. No particular reason, it is just what we did.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We give our 9 year old english mastiff a drug dealer or peeping tom once a week. OTher than that we simply give her large breed older dog dry food, glucosomine tablets (by the shovelful) and all the pizza she can beg. She will also lick up the occaisional spill of honey, syrup, gravy, or any other substance we do ot clean up immediately. Oh and she gets an ounce or two of cat poop every week as well, plus about a peck of grass except during the winter. WE give her those big bones form the pet store, but she just licks then for a few hours and then lets the puppy have them.
LOL, they moved about 6 months ago. Now I tease him with the amateur DJ's. Your girl sounds more adventurous than my boy, who's much more reserved. Or dare I say "snobbish" don't think met a dog who would turn up their nose at a T-Bone steak........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Get him a puppy.

We found that always perks up our oplder dogs. Also if you move to a cold climate. A prior mastiff we thought was basically dying and could hardly stand up, turned into a puppy for his last two years after we moved from California to Michigan. Giant dogs seem to Love cold.

Seriously, the puppy thing really works. It will annoy him sometimes, but it will perk him up like you would not believe. Puppy will be sad and bewildered when old guy dies, but he will recover. Then when he gets old, he gets a puppy.

We always get the opposite gender. No particular reason, it is just what we did.
I actually just added a playmate to household earlier in the year. Same breed. He definatley keeps the old man on his toes as well as the rest of us, haha. Though the old man will lay down the rules every now and again.

However I do agree with the formula of old dog and young dog. I will be sick when my buddy goes but I want to make he had the best golden years possible. He is truly a once in a lifetime dog.......

Thanks to everyone that posted with your suggestions brought some extra supplements. Its a PITA to give to him but its worth it.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildnFree View Post
He is truly a once in a lifetime dog.......

HE is your BDE (Best Dog Ever) Everyone gets one once in a lifetime I think. Ours is now a tree

(Note: that is only watering the tree. As previously mentioned men don't cry).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs