Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 02:18 PM

88,591 posts, read 84,838,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Oh wow, that is so terrible. She didn't even try to acclimate them? My dog is only 10 pounds but he doesn't like children. I think they scare him. If I ever have kids I will be preparing long before the baby ever comes to make sure he handles it okay. I could understand giving the dog away if it was vicious towards the baby, but it seems like most people just don't want to fool with having a pet anymore. I know kids are a lot of work and maybe I should keep my mouth shut since I don't know what having kids it like, but it really bothers me.
No, her baby was two months away from even being born when she had the dog put down. I am not a dog owner myself, but it just made me feel so bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 02:29 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
Yeah I hate to hear that too. A dog or cat is a part of the family and it should stay that way. It sounds like the dog was there before the baby and baby to be. It isn't the pups fault.
I know someone that has 2 dogs that were her life then she had a baby and the dogs got pushed aside. Seems she doesn't have the time for them anymore. She wants to get rid of them but her husband won't let her. Very sad for the dogs.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:36 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,949,984 times
Problem is, many times the dog IS the baby until the new baby arrives. Then there is no need for the "dog baby". The saddest thing I saw on this subject was a woman who was trying to rehome a 14 year old dog because she finally got pregnant. At 14 years old, how heartbreaking to be discarded like that.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:24 PM

970 posts, read 2,214,101 times
I am 9 months pregnant and there is no way I would get rid of any of the animals just because a baby is being added to the house! The only reason I would consider re-homing is if there was a serious safety issue (like an animal suddenly turning vicious or very severe allergies). Neither of those are likely scenarios.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:08 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,345,677 times
Quote:
Actually there were about 25 comments discussing the dog and the reasons for getting rid of her so I'm not making any assumptions, but thanks.
I have a Rottweillor. Since I was post #4, not sure where the "25 comments" you refer to are, but you be sweet.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:10 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Unfortunately, some people use a dog as a child substitute and when they get a real baby, the dog is out of a job. I find it terribly sad.

When I had my human baby, he was just added to the pack and I trained him about how to fit himself in. The only problem was trying to stop him from eating kibble.

There are a lot of people out there that get a living pet for weak reasons. To many pets are only ornaments for an ego. It's a heartbreaker to see all the ads for 9-10-12 year old dogs that are being re-homed.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:46 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
I have a Rottweillor. Since I was post #4, not sure where the "25 comments" you refer to are, but you be sweet.
She made it very clear she read about this situation on Facebook and her "25 comments" refers to the Facebook comments. Plenty clear to me.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:58 AM

59 posts, read 145,847 times
Default Never never never never never never never never never ever....

Quote:
I am certain this has been discussed before, but I just needed to vent/rant/whatever. Last night I got on Facebook and a girl who had a baby earlier this year and is already pregnant again was posting about getting rid of her dog. I think this must be my ultimate pet peeve. I've had my dog since he was a little guy. I cannot imagine tossing him out because I had a baby. I would get a trainer, I would do whatever I had to help the dog adjust to the baby. Does having a baby really change you so much that your life long friend becomes disposable to you? I guess I could understand if the dog attacked the baby and hurt him or her, but just because you don't want to fool with the dog anymore or he's having trouble adjusting? Really?

It was all I could do not to comment with what I wrote here but I didn't see any reason to start drama. It seems like this is so common and it makes me really sad. I would never ever ever get rid of my dog. Ever. I just can't imagine that. Poor dog. I wish I could take him, but she doesn't live in my area.
NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER EVER Getting rid of my dog(s)!!! Having a baby and then using that as an excuse to get rid of my dog? What kind of Evil Cruel Person with no feelings would do that?
Not only are you hurting the baby but you are hurting the child to, when they get older they will realize that there only purpose in life was that their mother could do something so mean and harsh to a pet, your best friend, your life, your everything.

Now i am getting concerned about the parent here. I doubt she knows how to raise a child or has the responsibility to, nor does she knows what she is doing at all, it can also be a financial crisis depending on how much children she has.

Why would anyone do such a thing? There is no purpose at all for that, the only reason if you get rid of your dog if is he tries to be aggressive and bites your face of numerous times.

I can only imagine what that dog is going through.....

NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER EVER
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs