Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2013, 08:06 PM

548 posts, read 1,038,189 times

Advertisements

We recently bought a puppy from a rescue shelter. About 6 weeks ago. She came with all her shots and was wormed and spayed. About a week into having her she got really bad diarrhea. We ended up taking her to the vet and she had whip worms. So we had her wormed again and her poop firmed up. Then a couple days off the meds it started again. Our vet gave us some more med just in case she still had them. So same thing happened. About 2 weeks ago I took her to our vet and they said she doesn't have any worms and that it is probably diet. Being that she came from a shelter and they have to feed based on donations. And also who knows what she was fed before that.

We have her on taste of the wild(bison). So far it is not helping. I need for her to have harder poops because this loose stuff makes it so she can't always make it outside. She acts fine and is a beautiful sweet girl. They said she was German Shepard/blue heeler but I think she is Australian/ blue heeler. Any ideas??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 08:18 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,692,145 times
maybe some pumpkin a small amount might help not the pie stuff but real also rice in the food will work.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:20 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkiss View Post
We recently bought a puppy from a rescue shelter. About 6 weeks ago. She came with all her shots and was wormed and spayed. About a week into having her she got really bad diarrhea. We ended up taking her to the vet and she had whip worms. So we had her wormed again and her poop firmed up. Then a couple days off the meds it started again. Our vet gave us some more med just in case she still had them. So same thing happened. About 2 weeks ago I took her to our vet and they said she doesn't have any worms and that it is probably diet. Being that she came from a shelter and they have to feed based on donations. And also who knows what she was fed before that.

We have her on taste of the wild(bison). So far it is not helping. I need for her to have harder poops because this loose stuff makes it so she can't always make it outside. She acts fine and is a beautiful sweet girl. They said she was German Shepard/blue heeler but I think she is Australian/ blue heeler. Any ideas??
How old is she? I ask because you don't want to withold food much from a baby puppy but I am guessing she is a bit older having been spayed?

12-24 hour fast (free access to water), followed by small meals of mushy boiled rice/potatoes/bread with some well-drained/low fat cooked meat.
Over three days gradually transition back to her kibble.

SMALL meals. Pudding poops can result in too much food at once and TOTW is probably higher in fat and protein than whatever kibble she was getting at the shelter. Could simply be that you're giving her too much food at a time.

Probiotics surely will not hurt. Even greek yoghurt or other good yoghurt a few tsp per meal might help.

You don't say what meds she was on but a combination of the stress of being in a shelter, then major operation, then meds for worms and antibiotics or whatever plus the stress of adjusting to a new home can = digestive upset!
Small bland meals, and small kibble meals, no free feeding!

Old 06-18-2013, 08:24 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,943,480 times
Pumpkin can help, but it may be time to switch foods. I would get some samples from your local specialty food store to try out. Just add a tablespoon of canned pumpkin to the food if you choose to continue with this food. I hope you find something that helps. It isn't easy dealing with soft poop.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:32 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,351,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
How old is she? I ask because you don't want to withold food much from a baby puppy but I am guessing she is a bit older having been spayed?

12-24 hour fast (free access to water), followed by small meals of mushy boiled rice/potatoes/bread with some well-drained/low fat cooked meat.
Over three days gradually transition back to her kibble.

SMALL meals. Pudding poops can result in too much food at once and TOTW is probably higher in fat and protein than whatever kibble she was getting at the shelter. Could simply be that you're giving her too much food at a time.

Probiotics surely will not hurt. Even greek yoghurt or other good yoghurt a few tsp per meal might help.

You don't say what meds she was on but a combination of the stress of being in a shelter, then major operation, then meds for worms and antibiotics or whatever plus the stress of adjusting to a new home can = digestive upset!
Small bland meals, and small kibble meals, no free feeding!
Great post, and I also want to add this. Taste of the Wild is a grain free food. I know that's all the rage, and I also fed grain free (raw) for many years. But a puppy needs some good whole grain, and even our two dogs (14 months and 5 months) had diarrhea on a grain free Blue Buffalo food. Come to think of it, when I tried to feed TotW to our senior dogs a few years ago, trying to wean them off raw food a few days a week, even they had diarrhea from it. I think TotW Bison sounds pretty rich for a puppy, but props to you for seeking out such a premium food.

Try adding some fiber, either rice or canned pumpkin or both. Cut back on the kibble to make up for what you add in the way of fiber. Pumpkin is wonderful. I always keep several cans on hand. Sweet potatoes are just as good.

I would switch to a food with some whole grain in it after the current bag is gone.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:38 PM

548 posts, read 1,038,189 times
She is almost 6 months now. Great dog, doesn't chew, or bite. She is a little timid but getting better. She likes to sleep with us at night but for now she is kenneled at night. That and I need a bigger bed if she is going to be up here also. These mini dachshunds take up a TON of room. She also is a pretty good playmate for Willie the bloodhound. She can out run him and turn faster. She loves to play chase and he loves to chase. The baying sound of him chasing her is hilarious!!!

Old 06-18-2013, 08:48 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,943,480 times
I don't agree with the grain comment. Since grain-free came out, my dogs have been on it and have thrived on it. There is no need for grains and every dog we have had since, foster or otherwise has been on a grain-free diet. There are various reasons as to why one food will be good for a dog and why another won't be. That is why it takes some experimentation because there are so many options out there. Some dogs are more sensitive to certain proteins, some dogs like to eat things on the ground, and that upsets their stomachs. I try to steer clear of the boiled chicken and rice or beef and rice diets unless the vet recommends it. It seems to create an expectation from my dogs that I should always cook for them.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:32 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,351,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
I don't agree with the grain comment. Since grain-free came out, my dogs have been on it and have thrived on it. There is no need for grains and every dog we have had since, foster or otherwise has been on a grain-free diet. There are various reasons as to why one food will be good for a dog and why another won't be. That is why it takes some experimentation because there are so many options out there. Some dogs are more sensitive to certain proteins, some dogs like to eat things on the ground, and that upsets their stomachs. I try to steer clear of the boiled chicken and rice or beef and rice diets unless the vet recommends it. It seems to create an expectation from my dogs that I should always cook for them.
You cannot say that about every dog. I used to preach all about grains, too -- until one of our raw-fed (for 12 years) dogs developed intolerance for the diet and had to be fed a homecooked diet with oatmeal and vegetables. Our vet wrote out the feeding protocol. She was holistic and fully on board with the BARF diet, but she insisted we stop feeding raw to Jimmy. She said their nutritional requirements vary from dog to dog and can change depending on age.

Anyway, if I were ever to feed grain-free again, it would be raw, not a grain-free kibble. In the last several years, four dogs in this house, from puppy to very senior -- all got diarrhea and gas from Taste of the Wild or Blue buffalo Wilderness.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 17,146 times
bless you for rescuing rather than supporting puppy mills.
Try probiotics for your dog. There are many brands. Anyone will be an improvement. Sounds like you are a very good owner. Good luck.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:30 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,106,671 times
Congratulations on your new pup! Pictures?

I hope the mushy poops clear up soon. Happens to my dog from time to time. I usually give him rice, green beans, and pumpkin for a few days until things improve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs