Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 10:49 AM

78 posts, read 129,057 times

Advertisements

We have a 6 year old blue heeler/mix, G, that's been with us for 2 years. A couple weeks ago we acquired a 4 year old daschund, T. T guards the food bowl. He'll growl if G looks at him or comes too close when he's eating or drinking. He'll also sometimes just sit in front of the bowls and not allow access. We've tried feeding in 2 different bowls on opposite sides of the room. T runs between the bowls to keep G away. G has taken to eating and drinking when T is occupied elsewhere in the house. T is not aggressive with people. We can freely take the food or water away or get between him and the bowls and he meekly allows it. Would this concern you? If so, how would you handle it? I'm kind of lost on this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 11:22 AM

13,928 posts, read 39,306,840 times
Crate new dog when the other dog is eating ... Feed them in different rooms Door Closed. hummmm

Old 09-19-2013, 11:22 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,356,424 times
We had a similar situation when we brought a puppy into the house last spring, our second dog. Karma, the 1-year old retriever mix, got pretty nasty when the puppy investigated her food. So their bowls went on opposite ends of the room. Each dog was made to stay at his or her bowl until mealtime was over the and the bowls were picked up.

We figured as the dogs got to know each other and both felt secure and confident in their new home (Karma had only been with us for 4 months), they would relax around each other, and that's exactly what has happened. But we encouraged cooperation between them in our training. They get treats together, very very close to each other. I taught them the "leave it" command by having them both in front of me with one treat in between us.

They learned that no matter what, neither of them will get left out. They will both always get meals, treats, affection, or anything else we give them. They are learning to take their turns and it's interesting to watch them patiently wait while the other one gets a treat, a trip outside, or a ball thrown.

Just don't scold the one doing the growling. With some training and encouragement, they will adjust to each other. Good luck!

Old 09-19-2013, 11:58 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,903,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dittoCO View Post
We have a 6 year old blue heeler/mix, G, that's been with us for 2 years. A couple weeks ago we acquired a 4 year old daschund, T. T guards the food bowl. He'll growl if G looks at him or comes too close when he's eating or drinking. He'll also sometimes just sit in front of the bowls and not allow access. We've tried feeding in 2 different bowls on opposite sides of the room. T runs between the bowls to keep G away. G has taken to eating and drinking when T is occupied elsewhere in the house. T is not aggressive with people. We can freely take the food or water away or get between him and the bowls and he meekly allows it. Would this concern you? If so, how would you handle it? I'm kind of lost on this one.
Yes it would concern me, guarding behaviors often escalate not disappear. You said food bowl but then you said "drinking" so its water, too?

If you put 5 water bowls down what happens?

What about toys and other resources? He's new so it's hard to see/predict.

I would leash him, for starters. You can buy a longer leash even a cotton weave "training leash" at all the pet stores. They're in a package and come in black, red, olive green. The next length after six food standard is 10 but you can hold it closer.

It's not acceptable to guard the food bowl but especially not the water. And it's ESPECIALLY NOT ACCEPTABLE to CLAIM BOTH SETS OF BOWLS, running back and forth! I would TOTALLY correct that. It doesn't take any drama etc, just send him away! Growling is NOT acceptable either. YOU own everything not him.

You need to CLAIM the "other" bowls that belong to the Heeler when you see that, in fact, PRE-EMPT/interrupt it when you see him alert and headed over there. CLAIM means standing in between the Heeler bowls and the Doxie's space and when he thinks he's going to walk towards or past you - NOPE, he's not! Try pointing away and say "hey" or "shhhht" or "no" (not LOUD or anything, normal voice) stand up straight and use authority energy and see if just pointing works. If not, lead him away with the leash. Then enforce it. Do NOT use a high pitch voice like you don't mean it - weak energy- and don't use it with the Heeler either. "Sympathy" sounds and feels like insecurity to a dog.

Of course this could cause a fight/bite even inadvertently to you so I won't go further about you running interference. You may be more comfortable just separating them but I don't know how you'd do that easily for water. Judging from what you said, you haven't corrected it so me telling you to do so once he's "in the zone" may erupt. We can't see the dynamic on the internet. So it seems right now the burden is on the Heeler to deal with it. I would suggest more leadership and guidance from you. You don't have to be anything more than calm assertive energy and mean it, FOLLOW THROUGH and be consistent. Interrupting the behavior is just a START you want his BRAIN to turn off and that takes follow through and some time.

This means when you successfully interrupt it, he must go AWAY and not keep trying to come back. And stop obsessing on it. Until that time his brain is not getting relexed/the signal. The goal is to give up the desire to own it without staying obsessed and focused even IF he's not actively trying to get to the bowls. For example panting and watching the Heeler eat. NO. Go relax! LOL ALSO do NOT PET HIM during this exercise. That is reinforcing the neurosis. I would give him a Nylabone to chew on at that time to redirect his anxiety and chew it out. AWAY from the Heeler. He may not know what that is and may take some help learning by you holding it for him and showing him etc.

NOT rawhide or any other edible thing.

I work for two boxers dog walking and occasionally feed them. The owner said he feeds about 8 feet apart and denied aggression but I can see dominance. The male annoys the female when she eats (slower than him) and thinks it's fine to eat the couple of pieces around her bowl off the floor before she's finished. NOPE.Go sit down over there --------->.

I send him back across the room when I'm there. I claim her bowl and stand in proximity. I don't CLAIM CLAIM it because I don't want her to think I don't want HER to eat. Just close enough to correct him from a distance when I see him eyeballing her and getting ready to sneak up to her. He's "that way" he'll try things if I don't assert myself. LIke trying to sneak in pool toys in the house that are not permitted. LOL

All casually, like holding the ball in his mouth and pretending it's perfectly normal to walk past me with it. UH, nope, we'll wait all day if necessary - you WILL drop that ball before you go in. But it's sort of easy I just let her in first and stand there till he FINALLY looks up and makes eye contact then he's all "oh okaaaay" and drops it.

I stipulate there's no growling etc and it's another case entirely. The female is a new-ish rescue and very submissive so they "fit" right now. She has no clue how to even play with toys. I'm just sharing this to show you how much CONSISTENCY is needed to change their brains.

Stay calm energy and asses the situation and try and convey he is NOT the boss of things. Also I would be sure to walk them together every day for awhile to create a stronger pack bond. (even without the food aggression).

Last edited by runswithscissors; 09-19-2013 at 12:24 PM..

Old 09-19-2013, 12:11 PM

1,076 posts, read 2,369,939 times
Are you waiting for the dogs to sort it out? Tell the dog with the issue which bowl is his. No running between dishes. Stand at the one your blue heeler eats/drinks at. When lil one comes running, you stand your ground and send her back to hers. Gaurding is never good, but if each of them respect the others dishes there won't be a problem. You are the pack leader, teach the dog what is ok and when its not... let her know.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:16 PM

This is all very helpful advice. Thank you! To answer the questions, yes, he is guarding the water bowl at times as well. There is definitely a play for dominance going on. The doxie does not believe that we (the humans) are in charge and the dogs haven't figure out who's going to be top dog amongst them. Thank you for the direction. I think that's what i needed to hear.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:18 PM

I've been trying to stand guard at the heeler's bowls, but honestly, the little one is fast and lithe and I can't physically stop him. Obviously we need to work on teaching him that the people mean business.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:29 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,903,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dittoCO View Post
I've been trying to stand guard at the heeler's bowls, but honestly, the little one is fast and lithe and I can't physically stop him. Obviously we need to work on teaching him that the people mean business.

LOL exactly.

AND they are excitable little things, so make sure YOU stay calm and assertive. Don't feed his excitement. This just means showing you mean it and you actually don't have to talk very much at all.

Don't stand guard AT the bowls. Stand a coupla feet away just enough that your energy is CLEAR. You can even put a broom down and that is the point that he is NOT to cross. Believe me, he'll get it quickly if you do it right. His brain may not cooperate and stop him overnight but be CONSISTENT.

Because they are so FAST this is why I say, watch for his body language and eyes and STOP IT THEN. (easier said than done LOL). LEASH!

I bet you see a whole 'nother dog once he's leashed. It's a mental thing even if you're not holding it sometimes.

Good job approaching it so differently so fast!

ETA: I'm guessing he GULPS his food down. You want to try and slow that down. You can feed him in small increments or get one of those bowls with dividers called a SLO eater or something. OR put a big chain in there that he has to eat around UNDER SUPERVISION...(THAT HE CANNOT SWALLOW).

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_45f3m0gflo_b

Last edited by runswithscissors; 09-19-2013 at 12:42 PM..

Old 09-19-2013, 01:30 PM

159 posts, read 169,178 times
I like to keep things simple with my 3. I feed them seperate, they eat in a few minutes and the bowls get put up until next feeding. Same with any high value items like raw meaty bones, they only have them in their own kennels. I like them to eat in peace without worring about another dog stealing their food. I dont want to worry about a fight breaking out either.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:46 PM

315 posts, read 564,145 times
Feed T in a crate. Worked for many people I know. Food Aggression can definitely be worked with fairly easily but it quickly escalates into worse behaviors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs