Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 10:24 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times

Advertisements

in terms of breeds...

AVOID!: Terrier group, (this incudes small teriers like yorkies nd jack russels...) HIGH energy, can be more than a challenge to train and ten to being vocal and stubborn
Working group, dobes, gsd's, colies ect...thee dogs were bred to have the energy and stamina to WORK all day, they need a lot of physical and more so MENTAL stimulation than id expect from a first time dog owner"
SCENT HOUNDS beagles, coon hounds ect...these guys tend to live through their ose and are typically had headed and hard to trai due to selective hearing.
Mastifs and bully breeds...

if your looing for something large...an OLDER (2-4 years) lab or golden, untll 2 years these breeds tend to be high energy Goofballs, who need to work, but they start to calm down atabout 2 yrs old. both breds shed like crazy and can be prone to hip issues...
a RETIRED greyhound, lots of thesein greyhound rescue needng a nice warm couch of bed to hold down...theseguystend to need to be in calm quiet homes with no small petsm they need a FENCED bcyard for a good run, and CANNOT be trusted offleash outside of the house/SECURLY fenced back yard, but for incredibly athletic dogs, a good 15 min run around the yard twice a day an a nice walk a couple times a day and ypoue got a LARGE often protective 30mph COUCH POTATO! this breed is COLD and SUN sensitive and cann NEVER be left outdoors unsupervised. they ae shedders but otherwisegrooming is miimal.

for small to medium dogs, pretty uch any of the toy group except yorkies or pappillions...thes eittle mighty mouses make WONDEFUL ALARM dogs andwil let you know if anything is amiss, and they are the ultimate in snugglers..dt eed much excesize and dot take upmuch space...they get a bad rap but that's al n the training and chics DIG cute WEL TRAINED little dogs!!!
and spaniels too, thoe floppy ered gn dogs are SUPPOSED to be sweet happygo ucky love bugs, and ican attet to a well bred cocker as an a,ing companion...bad breeding can lead to snippiness and ear probkems can be an issue with spaniels.

id persoany go for you guys a small to medium low coat maintence shelter mutt in the 2-5 yr olf range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 12:59 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronHarpoons View Post
even my parents surprisingly who want a dog for protection
What happens if the dog fails to do its job properly? A lot of dogs will bark when a stranger is around the house, but then they will also bark at a rabbit in the yard, or a leaf falling from the tree, or because they thought they heard a noise. This does not mean they are going to be protective. If a stranger breaks into your house, or comes up to you on the streets your dog might bark. Or they might be happy to see a person, and wag its tail and lick the burglar or the man robbing you on the streets.

Dogs are for companionship. If you need protection get an alarm system for the house.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:00 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
: smack:

OMG My head hurts. After all we've told you?? Really??
LMFAO, yep.

Quote:
"where do dogs use the washroom?"
Quote:
I've taken all the useful information (not the attacks from some clowns itt) into consideration.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:05 PM

349 posts, read 422,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
in terms of breeds...

AVOID!: Terrier group, (this incudes small teriers like yorkies nd jack russels...) HIGH energy, can be more than a challenge to train and ten to being vocal and stubborn
Working group, dobes, gsd's, colies ect...thee dogs were bred to have the energy and stamina to WORK all day, they need a lot of physical and more so MENTAL stimulation than id expect from a first time dog owner"
SCENT HOUNDS beagles, coon hounds ect...these guys tend to live through their ose and are typically had headed and hard to trai due to selective hearing.
Mastifs and bully breeds...

if your looing for something large...an OLDER (2-4 years) lab or golden, untll 2 years these breeds tend to be high energy Goofballs, who need to work, but they start to calm down atabout 2 yrs old. both breds shed like crazy and can be prone to hip issues...
a RETIRED greyhound, lots of thesein greyhound rescue needng a nice warm couch of bed to hold down...theseguystend to need to be in calm quiet homes with no small petsm they need a FENCED bcyard for a good run, and CANNOT be trusted offleash outside of the house/SECURLY fenced back yard, but for incredibly athletic dogs, a good 15 min run around the yard twice a day an a nice walk a couple times a day and ypoue got a LARGE often protective 30mph COUCH POTATO! this breed is COLD and SUN sensitive and cann NEVER be left outdoors unsupervised. they ae shedders but otherwisegrooming is miimal.

for small to medium dogs, pretty uch any of the toy group except yorkies or pappillions...thes eittle mighty mouses make WONDEFUL ALARM dogs andwil let you know if anything is amiss, and they are the ultimate in snugglers..dt eed much excesize and dot take upmuch space...they get a bad rap but that's al n the training and chics DIG cute WEL TRAINED little dogs!!!
and spaniels too, thoe floppy ered gn dogs are SUPPOSED to be sweet happygo ucky love bugs, and ican attet to a well bred cocker as an a,ing companion...bad breeding can lead to snippiness and ear probkems can be an issue with spaniels.

id persoany go for you guys a small to medium low coat maintence shelter mutt in the 2-5 yr olf range.
Thanks! I'm calling local shelters as I am writing this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
What happens if the dog fails to do its job properly? A lot of dogs will bark when a stranger is around the house, but then they will also bark at a rabbit in the yard, or a leaf falling from the tree, or because they thought they heard a noise. This does not mean they are going to be protective. If a stranger breaks into your house, or comes up to you on the streets your dog might bark. Or they might be happy to see a person, and wag its tail and lick the burglar or the man robbing you on the streets.

Dogs are for companionship. If you need protection get an alarm system for the house.
It's just a perk, not really a major factor.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:06 PM

349 posts, read 422,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
This is what I was afraid of, you didn't hear a word anyone said. You were expecting the answer you wanted to hear, not the truth. I have known many young people in you situation who had to have a dog. The parents always end up with the dog when you move out. Animals are expensive and take a lot of your time, which you won't be giving them when you move out and start chasing ladies/guys and partying, and all the other things that occupy young adults lives..
Don't do it..
Perhaps you didn't read the part where I stated upon hours of research and discussion, we had reached our decision.

Perhaps you may have just missed that part.

Just perhaps.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:43 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronHarpoons View Post
Perhaps you didn't read the part where I stated upon hours of research and discussion, we had reached our decision.

Perhaps you may have just missed that part.

Just perhaps.
Or perhaps we aren't mind readers! Because what you really said was...

Quote:
Ok so my family has decided to get a dog upon further discussion.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:22 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,480,953 times
Default chiming in with one more thought

I lived alone in an apt when I was in my twenties. I looove animals but chose not to have one for all those years for the sole reason that I wanted to lead a fun, single life. I knew that if I had a pet (even a cat), I would have had a lot of guilt every time when I spent a good part of the day or evening out with friends as 20-somethings are prone to do.

In fact, had I had a pet at the time, my social life would have suffered greatly as I would have missed out on a lot of fun b/c I wanted to stay home with my pet (that guilt thing again).

Now I'm not saying that a pet needs 24/7 attention from you but having one is a big responsibility....in my opinion, the fewer responsibilities, the better when you're in your twenties. Just get OUT THERE and have fun! Plenty of time for a pet later.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:00 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
se that I cant agree with because not ALL 20 somethings are "social"
I personally one of those people who want to do the exact opposite of :get out there and have fun" im 28 I have a frm, multiple pets and loads of livestock to ted to bills to pay and MY life to live...even at 18 I much preferred the compay of my dog than huan interaction...not ALL people re "Social" so for many the "don't have apet your too young to hve that responsibility" doesn't apply...does this mean I think the op is ready? no...but the op obviously has teir mind mae up so instead of trying to change said mind and being completely blocked out...EUDUCATE don't Berate

Old 10-08-2013, 07:48 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,480,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
...EUDUCATE don't Berate
wasn't berating, just telling my story...and giving OP something to consider in the event that he/she has an active social life (or would like to).

Old 11-11-2013, 07:13 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
OK so OP, I just read your post about your attempted suicide on the other forum. I am happy that you stated iyou're ok and that it was a stupid move and that you're better now that you are in the psychiatric hospital.

Maybe NOW you understand why I told you to deal with your anxiety issues and not depend on a dog to be your crutch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs