Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 11:17 PM

191 posts, read 454,374 times

Advertisements

We're thinking about adding a CKC to our family. How bad is the health of the breed, really? We were going to rescue, so we'd be getting a dog with an unknown genetic background. How long do most CKC live, especially if they are a badly bred rescue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 04:45 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
I've known 4 (pet sitting) and only one had health "problems" per se. And that was a sensitive gi system. All these dogs were great disposition and no trouble at all. Two of them loved to walk and hike. I can't say about the other two because the owners were not the type to do any exercise but I think even those two would have loved it. But they seemed ok with being restricted to boring living in a house with no walks. Well, they had no choice but...they didn't show alot of pent up energy or destructive tendencies and were sweet and very sociable.

Now that I think about it, one other one didn't travel well getting carsick so they probably are that "type" of GI dog. Like Labs when something is "off" you see it in the GI.

I don't know the average life span but it's got to be the same as other smallish breeds - long. Versus, say, a Bulldog with an 8 year average.

If you say "family" as in other dogs, I would make sure they are well accepted in the pack first. They are not especially dominant dogs, IME and might get "lost in the shuffle".

I just worked for a family with two pugs and a Japanese Chin and the poor Chin really was out of place there. The owners gave the Pugs ALL the attention, and food, and toys etc (because the Pugs are wild and pushy) and the Chin was just sort of "there". And was a beautiful, well behaved sweet dog. But they are mild disposition and can't compete in a pushy environment.

Any dog can end up in rescue it doesn't mean they were particularly badly bred. People die, or can't afford them anymore, decide they don't want them when they have babies or whatever and they get surrendered. Now if you already KNOW you're getting one from say, a breeding mill, then yeah, anything can happen with their health.

I usually NEVER allowed dogs to stay in my place unless they were impeccable. Here's one of the privileged few - resting on my chair in between playing LOL. A Cavalier. She was adorable and very easy.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 10-08-2013 at 04:59 AM..

Old 10-08-2013, 07:28 AM

191 posts, read 454,374 times
Cavaliers are known for their heart problems. I've read that 100% of Cavaliers will die of MVD. But I'm not sure at what age they die of it? 5? 15? Supposedly this is why you "have to" get one from a breeder who has their dogs checked by a Cardiologist and only breeds dogs who are heart clear at age 5. So I wonder if I'm setting my family up for heartbreak adopting through a Cavalier rescue.

Is the health of the breed that dire?

Old 10-08-2013, 10:39 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
heart issues are the biggest problem in the breed and yes pretty much al king chares will die of a heart condition eventually..though most live into their teens...regular heart screenings at the vet to catch things early is the best bet be it a rescue or a breeder bred pup

knees are the other HUGE health issue in the breed, check knees reulalry and eep them in a healthy weght range. sureyr is available for patella luxation...

and ear nfections...keep ears checked regularly an clean...avoi foods with corn, soy and wheet as these allegens tend to increase is of ear yeast in droop eared dogs leadingto infections.

therea great breed, and whie some die young many live wel into their teens and frankly...most CKC owners say that the risk of a broken heat from an early death is a small price to payfor the love of a king Charles!

as FAMILY dogs, im of the firm belif you cannot go wrong with a spaniel!

Old 10-08-2013, 01:06 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Having owned a CKC back in my breeding days I can tell you they are Very Loving Very Active Very Long Lived...this girl was a rescue the people could not keep her they go her a a pet shop...so that tells you about her background LOL She was sold to them as a Cocker spaniel!!! They gave her to me I had a heck of a time getting her "papera" from the pet shop peole. I thought when I got them Not Right! But she was happy healthy girl. I went to a dog show & took her with me Several Cav Breeders fell all over her Coment were Barbara Why you dock her tail!! When I told them her story I was told she was a Cav! Back then they were Rare! I took her home & statrd Forever home shopping. When I got her she was 6 months old when I found the perfect foreve home for her she was a little over a yr... 17 yrs later the people notified me she died of old age! She was almost almost 19 yrs old!

Old 10-08-2013, 01:28 PM

936 posts, read 2,069,316 times
..and what are the chances of a mutt that is 1/4 or so cavalier king charles spaniel having this heart condition?

Old 10-08-2013, 02:54 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
This is a breed I looked long and hard at getting. Ultimately I decided NOT. I did read several articles about breeders in Europe working to get the heart problems under control. They have not been able to fully get rid of the problem but due to strict breeding they have been able to make sure this issue only appears at the end of life like 14-15 years.

I talked to several CKC breeders and one who said any breeder who states not all CKC's have the heart issue are lying. She was very forth coming about research being done in Europe and what she is doing.

Because of these issues I would not get a rescue unless papers were available to verify background, it would just be too heartbreaking to loose a dog at a young age for me.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:46 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowen View Post
..and what are the chances of a mutt that is 1/4 or so cavalier king charles spaniel having this heart condition?
Have the vet check her when you take her for yrly shots. Whats the chance ANY Mix not having problems OK You need to know WHAT Mixes & Get them Checked For each breeds Health problems!

Old 10-08-2013, 08:53 PM

19,846 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Cavaliers are my heart dogs. My first was a Cavalier/Beagle mix that was a badly damaged rescue pup. You would be hard pressed to find a more adaptable, friendly and easy going breed. You will fall in love...without a doubt.

Have you checked out Cavalierhealth.org? It is arguably one of the most comprehensive and informative websites on the CKCS. One heartbreaking condition that you should be aware is a real possibility is syringomelia.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:55 AM

936 posts, read 2,069,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Have the vet check her when you take her for yrly shots. Whats the chance ANY Mix not having problems OK You need to know WHAT Mixes & Get them Checked For each breeds Health problems!
He's a cavalier, american eskimo, chow chow mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs