Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 08:52 PM

903 posts, read 3,579,939 times

Advertisements

Hi-I just pulled a big tick off my dog. I smothered it with bacitracin and used tweezers. I got the head and legs but now don't know what to do about prevention. I was very surprised as we have trees but not woods. I am in NY so the weather has been 50s-60s-thought is was too cold. Do you suggest I use Frontline or something like that now? I will check with vet tomorrow. Can ticks be a problem in the winter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 09:03 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Save the tick. Drop it off at the vet to test for Lyme's disease. It's cheaper than testing your dog for Lyme's disease.

New York is part of serious Lyme's Disease territory. http://www.cdc.gov/lyme/stats/

Notice the worst are all cold weather states. http://geology.com/articles/ticks-ly...idence-map.gif

Frontline Plus kills fleas, ticks and other things. It's a monthly application. Use it all winter.

Ticks don't only live in woods. They can be in meadows without a tree in sight. They get on the tips of grasses and bushes to catch onto their hosts as they pass by. Regular ticks are active in temperatures above 35 degrees. Below that, they just go dormant and become active again when the temps increase. Deer ticks are another beast entirely, and they become active whenever they're not covered in snow.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:29 PM

I didn't think to save the tick and flushed it....

Old 10-30-2013, 09:49 PM

That's alright. I didn't either the first time. That's how I learned. I'm in Pennsylvania, right below your state.

Your dog can be tested, but not until 4 to 6 weeks from now. Wait 6 weeks to be sure it will show up.

My husband caught Lyme's disease in February 2012. We found the tick dead in his arm with the bulls eye rash around it.

Fortunately, we caught it early so one round of antibiotics worked and he never developed symptoms.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:00 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,108,085 times
You are on Long Island - one of many places in/around the NYC area where deer ticks are prevalent. It's really important to give your pet flea/tick preventives.

While on the subject, I hope you have your dog on heartworm preventive. If not, get her in for a test and follow the advice of your vet.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:17 AM

While on the subject, I hope you have your dog on heartworm preventive. If not, get her in for a test and follow the advice of your vet.[/quote]

Yes they are-tested yearly-

I stopped doing the Frontline because we had moved away from a wooded area and never had a tick before.

Does anyone know if it matters if I apply Frontline a few days before getting them a bath/haircut?

Old 10-31-2013, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's alright. I didn't either the first time. That's how I learned. I'm in Pennsylvania, right below your state.

Your dog can be tested, but not until 4 to 6 weeks from now. Wait 6 weeks to be sure it will show up.

My husband caught Lyme's disease in February 2012. We found the tick dead in his arm with the bulls eye rash around it.

Fortunately, we caught it early so one round of antibiotics worked and he never developed symptoms.
Thanks-he got lucky!

Old 10-31-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyla View Post
Does anyone know if it matters if I apply Frontline a few days before getting them a bath/haircut?
Don't bath 4 days before or after applying Frontline.

It has to be Frontline PLUS for ticks. The regular Frontline doesn't do ticks.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:07 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Yes either bathe the dog and then wait a few days to apply or apply and wait a few days to bathe. They need the natural oils in their fur for the rx to get into their system. Seems like I read somewhere there is a product where it doesn't matter but old habits die hard so I always follow the old rules.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:46 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
I cant tell you in CT frontline + wasn't working and we switched to k9 advantix.
geneal rule of thumb for any topical flea/tick control is wait at leas 24 hours after and before giving a bath, they rely on the oils in the skin to distribute.

even in cities theresfleas and ticks, should be on a flea and tick preventative year round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs