Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2013, 06:29 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,114,938 times

Advertisements

Just when I am so disgusted by the cruelty of man to man I learn of the generosity and kindness of our fellow Americans and my faith is restored.

Donations allow blind man to keep the dog that saved him - The Daily Nightly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 07:36 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,868,108 times
especially moving since hearing an updated version of the story.
apparently Orlando the lab did NOT tumble down with his handler, according to witnesses he apparently tried to pull him back/warn a few times and when his handler fell he let go of the handle and Orlando willingly jumped down to the tracks after him!

so glad they get to stay together now

Old 12-19-2013, 07:46 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,380,609 times
Not too impressed with this story. The man is too stupid for a guide dog. Be safer for him and the dog to be separated. The man could have gotten this dog killed because he lacks travel skills. The man needs training. Not the dog!

Really love this story, because it highlights the fact that blind people with a guide dog need to have travel skills, and also have a long cane.

This man needs training! He should not be in high risk areas, as he is a threat to public safety.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:09 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,126,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Not too impressed with this story. The man is too stupid for a guide dog. Be safer for him and the dog to be separated. The man could have gotten this dog killed because he lacks travel skills. The man needs training. Not the dog!

Really love this story, because it highlights the fact that blind people with a guide dog need to have travel skills, and also have a long cane.

This man needs training! He should not be in high risk areas, as he is a threat to public safety.
The man has diabetes and was dizzy when he fell. Accidents happen- they happen to fully sighted and 'able' bodied people just as they happen to those of us with disabilities.

I am blind and in a wheelchair and my SD was cross-trained as a guide/mobility SD. Part of his job WAS to place himself between me and danger. My boy has just died and I cannot bring myself to get that close to another dog.

People who do not need an SD do not understand the training and the bond between human and Service Dog.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
The man has diabetes and was dizzy when he fell. Accidents happen- they happen to fully sighted and 'able' bodied people just as they happen to those of us with disabilities.

I am blind and in a wheelchair and my SD was cross-trained as a guide/mobility SD. Part of his job WAS to place himself between me and danger. My boy has just died and I cannot bring myself to get that close to another dog.

People who do not need an SD do not understand the training and the bond between human and Service Dog.
I'm sorry for your loss. Please don't be afraid to love another dog again. You will need a time to grieve but you know how much freedom your deceased dog gave you and you don't want to be afraid to be free again. I can only imagine the emotional bond between a SD and person. It must be a hurt beyond words when the SD dies. I hope you will reconsider. Please don't think I'm insensitive by my suggestion. I might need a SD myself one day with rapidly progressing macular degeneration and cataracts.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

This man can have all the travel training in the world and still faint. It happens to healthy people as well. I'm shocked at your insensitivity to this man and his needs.How is he any more a safety risk to the public than a darting child or a person drinking and not making careful choices? Would you have all blind people stay home with no outside interaction? Believe me people with SD get lots of residence training before the dog is released to them and with blind people it is even more. That is one reason why seeing-eye dogs cost so much. Would you really take his dog away from him cause he fainted. I too suffer from diabetes and sometimes feel faint. I don't have a SD and i rarely travel alone but I can certainly understand this happening.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:19 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,126,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I'm sorry for your loss. Please don't be afraid to love another dog again. You will need a time to grieve but you know how much freedom your deceased dog gave you and you don't want to be afraid to be free again. I can only imagine the emotional bond between a SD and person. It must be a hurt beyond words when the SD dies. I hope you will reconsider. Please don't think I'm insensitive by my suggestion. I might need a SD myself one day with rapidly progressing macular degeneration and cataracts.

I do not think that you are being insensitive; I know many people who regularly retire one SD (and relinquish them) and receive another right away. I simply could not do that. My Freedom spent every single night with me (or my family when I was in the hospital) since he was 18 months old. When HE had a surgery the Vet was kind enough to allow me to stay with him so that he would not be alone and frightened; after a he did the same for me.

Have you looked at getting on a list for a guide dog? They can be very long (at times years). I am very lucky to know that if and when I am ready my SD org will match me as quickly as they find a 'proper' match for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs