Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 05:43 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
JC, stick with it. It sounds like you both have made a commitment. Don't pay any attention to people who are telling you to ditch your fiance because your pets don't get along. They don't know you, they don't know him, and I think it's pretty inappropriate to make snap judgements about your relationship.
Well said.

I love my dogs but I can totally understand being in such a frustrating situation. People DO get in over their heads sometimes with pets. It doesn't mean that either the pets or the relationship are lost causes. The OP clearly cares enough that she was asking for help, not how to dump either one. She also clearly said she was venting.

Best of luck OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 05:53 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
This is going nowhere and Im tired of your hostile tone. Thanks for the info Katie
Your thread title says it all and there's really only one way to change it. I hope you'll get Punkin out of that environment as it is terror for her.

Best of luck to you....there is no win-win here.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:44 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Oh man, if he were any other guy I certainly would be. These little hell demons have swayed me from ever wanting a canine, EVER.
They should sway you from wanting that particular breed. But then again I blame an owner who never properly disciplined his dogs.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:45 AM

2,226 posts, read 2,102,359 times
Quote:
I'm blaming BOTH of them, but as someone who's never had a dog, I simply can't help being resentful of these little ill-mannered terrors that poop and pee everwhere on top of everything else. Brian does train them, but they need to be re-trained constantly over and over again because they're too stupid and/or stubborn to learn that its NOT OKAY to poop and pee in the house.

I have no choice but to take my cat with me, we're talking about getting married. I am NOT getting rid of her, please. Unfortunately, the "Don't bring the cat into an environment like that" mentality isn't realistic. People combine households and merge their pets together, that's part of life. What's the alternative, giving her to someone else? No freakin way, shes like my child. Or should I just not get married altogether? See?

He does have interest, and he's tried but they're just stubborn. Not worth the work if you ask me.

So that's why I'm here. We both decided that neither is getting rid of our animal(s) but we're trying to make it work.
I babysat my sisters cat for over a year with a quiet responsible dog, who liked cats. The cat never got off the refrigerator except at night when we went to bed. She wouldn't even get down to use a litter box. Not all cats will accept any dog ever. Be prepared for that. In that case rehoming her to a placement of a quiet home where she is the princess is actually better for the cat, provided you can do that. But it is very difficult to find new homes for your personal cat, as there are millions needing homes. You would have to know the person. You would be the one that was sad, cats adjust shamefully, super easy into new environments that they find enjoyable.....the little ingrates! Better food, more spoiling, they don't have loyalty. I have taken in cats quite willing to live with me instantly! I have also re homed cats that adjusted within a day or two to their new environment, one within an afternoon! As to those dogs, they need lots and lots of walking at regular intervals. If your boyfriend isn't doing it, and you refuse to do it, they will not get better. And they should be re homed! Or he should be.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:01 AM

2,226 posts, read 2,102,359 times
Chi's are notorious barkers, especially when there is a pack. I Doubt you can stop them completely , but heavy exercise will reduce their anxiety levels and mellow them out....keeping in mind they are not greyhounds.....when exercising them, they should be able to do 3/4 of a mile to a mile at a quick trot. My Pomeranian mix is old enough for cataracts and she can do a full mile with my larger poodle mix. The doctors are amazed at her good health. But they still both have the small dog barking issues, it's inherent. I find that the barking issues are mostly at the window when people are going by. I have to go to the window and put hands on them and ssssshhhh them, they usually stop and watch instead of bark, but if it is other dogs are going by or the deer herd in the neighborhood are passing thru, or grazing, forget it, they want to crash thru the window. I have to put the blinds down until it's over.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:13 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,920 times
I don't get why you moved in with him in the first place? You knew the dogs were like this, you know your boyfriend is like this.

It's going to end up where your cat just gets depressed from being forced to live in ONE room and to spend her time INSIDE a litter box and she will end up dying.

Get your cat and yourself and move out of there. I don't know why you would want to live in a place where dogs are shiiting and peeing everywhere, anyway. It's disgusting and unhealthy.

Also, rethink the boyfriend. Someone who has 3 dogs and can't be bothered to train them has issues of his own and I wouldn't want to be involved with someone like that.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:20 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
NO NO NO!

if there having potty issues they were NEVER trained in the first place, dogs don't simply go form trained to not tained to trained to not trained, they don't think or behave like that..they simple DO NOT KNOW BETTER
the boyfriend has NOT trained them if they continue to make mistakes...

they are NOT stubborn, they are NOT stupid...
t!
I don't know about this. My wife's teacup chihuahuas understand routine and schedule and some basic commands, but they are unreliable indoors and have always been. Tried crate training, tried scheduling, called in a professional. It baffled me because I have always been able to potty train (and obedience train) my collies with no issues. Interestingly, if we confine them to an area, they do not mess there, so that's how it's sadly been (which is fine with them bc they are old and just nap all day and hate everyone, including my other dogs and my son)...all my friends with smaller dogs always seem to have more potty training complaints, so I wonder if bladder size or comprehension or what is going on with them.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:28 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Yes the dogs DEFINITELY need to change. Barking, chasing and being hyper are unhealthy UNACCEPTABLE behaviors cat or no cat.

Cats do not travel or move well. It takes time even without being constantly under stress with these three.

For STARTERS, put them all on leashes and do not allow that behavior.

The solution is to integrate them not separate them but if they are an out of control pack, you won't be able to do that without your BF working with you consistently. Since she's living in constant fear the typical things you'd do are not available to you. Such as holding the cat calmly on your lap or next to you and allowing a dog to just SNIFF the air and lay there on the other side. NONE of these tactics are possible here.

Sorry but there are no easy answers. Plenty of dog owners allow this craziness. Why, I have no idea

Pooping and peeing? AND not respecting the cat (AND YOU), and not controlling the dogs? I'd be moving right back OUT, gurl. What you have here is TWO packs. YOU and your cat. And him with his THREE dogs. Not a good omen about the future and I'm not even kidding.

A cat can usually be dominant over a dog but FOUR against ONE is not a fair deal.
I wouldn't have moved in myself, because somebody who allows his/her dogs to poop and pee in the house is a pig. I bet he doesn't pick it up or clean it up now that you're there to do it either.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:44 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I don't get why you moved in with him in the first place? You knew the dogs were like this, you know your boyfriend is like this.

It's going to end up where your cat just gets depressed from being forced to live in ONE room and to spend her time INSIDE a litter box and she will end up dying.

Get your cat and yourself and move out of there. I don't know why you would want to live in a place where dogs are shiiting and peeing everywhere, anyway. It's disgusting and unhealthy.

Also, rethink the boyfriend. Someone who has 3 dogs and can't be bothered to train them has issues of his own and I wouldn't want to be involved with someone like that.
I totally agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't know about this. My wife's teacup chihuahuas understand routine and schedule and some basic commands, but they are unreliable indoors and have always been. Tried crate training, tried scheduling, called in a professional. It baffled me because I have always been able to potty train (and obedience train) my collies with no issues. Interestingly, if we confine them to an area, they do not mess there, so that's how it's sadly been (which is fine with them bc they are old and just nap all day and hate everyone, including my other dogs and my son)...all my friends with smaller dogs always seem to have more potty training complaints, so I wonder if bladder size or comprehension or what is going on with them.
Because people tolerate more bad behavior from small breeds than from larger breeds, they are too often bred for size or looks rather than temperament or trainability. That does NOT mean that they can't be housebroken; it means that owners tend not to be as diligent or that the owners haven't established themselves as the "alpha dog". That your chihuahuas don't poop or pee in their confined space says that it's not a physical problem.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:47 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Do the best of all of you OP and dump the bf and find yourself a place to live where you and punkin can be in peace and quiet ...I think you made a mistake and now you need to correct it . I wish you luck I know this is hard and not an easy decision at all but good luck to you and your cat . Next time check out the bf a little more and visit his place often and make sure he does not have a yappy dog or one that gets on your nerves .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs