Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 09:57 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,356,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
What kind of person tolerates three non-housebroken dogs in his home? The dogs are the symptom that the BF has some serious issues that aren't likely to be resolved now that he's got a live-in maid to clean up after his dogs.
Lighten up.

Before I married my husband, he would have been an even WORSE dog owner if he had had dogs. Even now, if I weren't here, I think he'd forget to feed them, take them out regularly and train them properly. Fifteen years after getting our first dog, and he STILL stinks at the timing that is so critical to training. Puppy chews on a sofa cushion and DH shouts, "Teddy!" Ten seconds later while the puppy is just looking at him, DH shouts, "NO!" Apologies to the men on this board, but this really is kind of a guy thing. He knows SO much more after being married to me, and when it comes to other topics, I have learned SO much from him.

Anyone care to write a damning post about what a terrible person my husband is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 10:18 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,094,032 times
Well I must say I also think it is a man thing because I pick up after my dogs as well . Sorry but the husband does very little to maintain them . He forgets to feed them and I come home and they are jumping for joy to see me , him not so much they just wag their tails and greet and walk off . Me they are jumping and going into the kitchen pronto . Yep still go outside and pick up their poop not him he is not going to touch it at all . Yep gotta say definately a man thing with not doing the care and aftercare of the dogs .

Old 01-01-2014, 11:16 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
My hubby is the main caretaker of our five dogs.

The kennels are cleaned twice a day......never by me.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:49 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
I couldn't wade through this thread as it started off badly. You moved into the dogs territory with a cat, what did you expect? They are 3 Chihuahuas at that and you aren't changing much.

If you and your boyfriend are truly serious get rid of the cat and dogs and start anew.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:53 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Lighten up.

Before I married my husband, he would have been an even WORSE dog owner if he had had dogs. Even now, if I weren't here, I think he'd forget to feed them, take them out regularly and train them properly. Fifteen years after getting our first dog, and he STILL stinks at the timing that is so critical to training. Puppy chews on a sofa cushion and DH shouts, "Teddy!" Ten seconds later while the puppy is just looking at him, DH shouts, "NO!" Apologies to the men on this board, but this really is kind of a guy thing. He knows SO much more after being married to me, and when it comes to other topics, I have learned SO much from him.

I think you damned yourself. We have no idea of his POV.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:47 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,903,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Lighten up.

Not unless you're talking about rehoming the dogs because of him.

Your situation is not even similar anyway, you said he had NO dogs before meeting YOU.

The OP has already posted plenty of relevant information about her new relationship on this thread.

//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...important.html

Old 09-27-2015, 12:43 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,620,170 times
Wow, just wanted to follow up on this thread now a year and a half later. Admittedly, I did stop reading, which is disappointing because some people gave some really helpful, constructive advice.

Update: boyfriend and I are still happily together, in a bigger house. Punkin and the dogs are now totally fine. She operates independently of them and even tolerates them being right next to her. I even have a foster-turned-permanent kitty named Luna. Punkin and Luna are adorable together. The house is peaceful

But the chihuahuas keep popping and pissing on the floor. Can't have it all I suppose. But I'm happy where things are. We have one big happy family.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:14 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,306,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
Wow, just wanted to follow up on this thread now a year and a half later. Admittedly, I did stop reading, which is disappointing because some people gave some really helpful, constructive advice.

Update: boyfriend and I are still happily together, in a bigger house. Punkin and the dogs are now totally fine. She operates independently of them and even tolerates them being right next to her. I even have a foster-turned-permanent kitty named Luna. Punkin and Luna are adorable together. The house is peaceful

But the chihuahuas keep popping and pissing on the floor. Can't have it all I suppose. But I'm happy where things are. We have one big happy family.
Have you considered Litter Box Training the dogs? Litter box training
I use a Ex-Large Cat litter box lined with news paper for my 10# Pap
Make sure you Really clean your floors. I purchased a Hoover floor carpet cleaner at Walmart $140 use the pet shampoo with a final rinse with vinegar water mix. And every time my dog had a accident did a spot cleaning of vinegar. It too a long time but with persistence on my part..she finally got trained.

Old 09-27-2015, 02:53 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,620,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Have you considered Litter Box Training the dogs? Litter box training
I use a Ex-Large Cat litter box lined with news paper for my 10# Pap
Make sure you Really clean your floors. I purchased a Hoover floor carpet cleaner at Walmart $140 use the pet shampoo with a final rinse with vinegar water mix. And every time my dog had a accident did a spot cleaning of vinegar. It too a long time but with persistence on my part..she finally got trained.
We bought some pet odor stuff spray from Target (I know what I really need is Nature's Miracle, I just keep forgetting to stop by PetsMart to pick it up) as well as white vinegar/water mixture in a spray bottle. We have a carpet shampooer with which we try to hit up the whole place once a month.

I think it's just something I had to learn to live with. Our new place is all carpet and thankfully they seem to do it less because of this. I've learned a lot about dog behavior living with them all this time. I'm sure that helps. They still drive me freakin crazy, but things will be just fine

Old 09-27-2015, 09:47 PM

30,257 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
We bought some pet odor stuff spray from Target (I know what I really need is Nature's Miracle, I just keep forgetting to stop by PetsMart to pick it up) as well as white vinegar/water mixture in a spray bottle. We have a carpet shampooer with which we try to hit up the whole place once a month.

I think it's just something I had to learn to live with. Our new place is all carpet and thankfully they seem to do it less because of this. I've learned a lot about dog behavior living with them all this time. I'm sure that helps. They still drive me freakin crazy, but things will be just fine
A really good way to teach house training is to leash the dogs to you in the house. That way, they can't sneak off to go to the bathroom in another room, or behind the couch when your back is turned. If they are leashed to you, (obviously you can't leash all of them to you so your BF will need to help out), you can catch them in the act when they start sniffing around, looking for a spot. Or if they start the leg lift or squat. Then you quickly go outside and let them go there. Mark the good behavior with "good dog" (whatever their names are), and then praise them.

This is how I worked on my girl. The rule for my dogs is that when we go outside, the first thing that they do is do their business. I give them their command, if necessary, sometimes they don't even need it, and I stand and wait. I don't talk to them, I don't look at them, I simply stand there and wait for them to do what I told them to do. Once they've done it, I mark that behavior, yes, 5 years later, I STILL mark that behavior, and I still give them praise. Still.

Anyway, when we started training, my boy picked it up fast. He did what he was supposed to do, because he knew that next was play time. The girl? She likes to test. (They are part BC...) Boy does she like to test. If I put her in the crate, when I first got her, she'd scream and carry on NOT because it scared her, but because she's a manipulative little.......ahem...and she knew that screaming at the top of her lungs was a good tactic. I told my neighbors that I was crate training, but who wants to hear that at 1am in the morning? Neighbors were understanding, but I did not want to put my neighbors through that, and the little manipulator picked up on that.

Fine. Leash then. Nothing she could do about that. I leashed her to me. She went where I went. No sneaking off. I would take her out every so often, walk her to where the "bathroom" was, stand and wait. I gave her a couple of minutes. Most of the time, she would spend it staring at me, trying to make me smile, or laugh, she is SUCH a manipulator it's not even funny. I stared straight ahead. If she didn't go, I'd walk back inside. I acted as if I was just going out for a breath of fresh air, and I didn't give a flip if she went or not. I was doing it for ME, not her, is the message I sent her.

Once she figured out that she wasn't going to manipulate me, that outside meant "go to the bathroom", she started giving me cues. She was still attached to me, but she's the one who finally relented and let me know. From there, we gradually worked on releasing her from the leash.

I would come back in after she was successful in going outside, (and after much singing and dancing with her outside after she did it...I'm not kidding), I would let her off leash for about an hour. Then I'd put it back on so we were again connected. Slowly I increased the time she was off the leash until she was consistent in letting me know when she had to go.

Now, that is with the most manipulative, stubborn, highly intelligent punk ***** dog that I've ever met in my life, EVER. So it shouldn't take you nearly as long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs