Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2014, 10:13 AM

258 posts, read 604,127 times

Advertisements

So...long story short...my wife and I sent our 6 year old lab mix to stay with my parents for a while. There were two reasons for this: 1) The dog tore her ACL and my parents had a much flatter yard for her to rehab after her surgery and 2) We were having big problems with our landlord so we were breaking our lease and buying a new house. After we bought the house, I spent 2 more months building a fence and installing a dog door for her.

She had been an "only dog" in our house for 2 years since our older dog died. It was never a problem for her. She relaxed at home and was happy when we came home to see her, play with her, walk her, etc.

Well, during the 4-5 months she was with my parents, she was very spoiled. They are retired so they are home all day. They let her on the furniture, let her sleep on the bed, they had their own dog she played with, etc.

Now that she’s been back with us for about a week, she seems to mope around like she isn’t as happy as she was before. She has a very nice back yard, fenced in with plenty of shade and toys. She has the dog door to come in and lounge around plus more toys. I have a sales job so I work from home a fairly good amount, but she is still by herself a few hours each day. I always play with her when I get home, take her for walks, etc.

We aren’t in a good place to get a second dog right now. Is this a normal part of moving to a different setting? (I don’t have kids, but I’ve heard stories of kids coming back from grandma and grandpas house being grumpy for a bit because they aren’t getting quite as spoiled) I feel guilty because it seems like I have my dog back but she isn’t as happy as she was when my parents had her.

Any feedback, similar experiences, or advice would be great. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 11:13 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
This happened to my sister after sending her dog to live with her husband's parents during the construction of their new house. The solution was to send the dog back because it was truly happier there. Do what's best for the dog. Let her live with your parents. Then get yourself another dog and never send it to stay with your parents.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
This happened to my sister after sending her dog to live with her husband's parents during the construction of their new house. The solution was to send the dog back because it was truly happier there. Do what's best for the dog. Let her live with your parents. Then get yourself another dog and never send it to stay with your parents.
Ive had this dog for 6 years since she was a puppy. Most of the time it was just me and her. (Senior year of college, apartment living, house living, etc.) I'm not trying to be selfish but I have to think it might be better to give her a little more time and see if there is anything we can do to help her adapt.

Obviously if a few months goes by and she still seems sad we might have to go down that road. I hope to find some ideas that might help cheer her up and give her a chance to be happy here. Obviously we have to make an effort to spend more quality time with her. Maybe leave her a few more mentally stimulating toys while we are out of the house, etc.

In the end, I will absolutely do whats best for her. However I want to give it every effort to see if she can be as happy as she was just a few months ago before I go that route.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:54 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
Give her something to look forward to in life. Take her for more walks on a regular schedule. Wear her out so she's tired when you're not home. Take her out whenever you return home. My dogs are always thrilled to see us when we return because we go right back out the door with them. Without fail. Every. Single. Time. Even if we bring in groceries, one of us puts them away while the other takes the dogs out. Come inside, give treats, play with the dog, talk to the dog, pet the dog. You have to compete with people who gave your dog attention. The dog isn't upset that you're not home. The dog wants attention when you're home.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:05 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,585,319 times
I would say give her time. After living with me and my other dogs,Jazz and Dash for 1.5 yrs Phoenix went to live with my parents for a number of years because Jazz was always picking on her. Then My Mom died and soon after their other dog Henry died so for 3 yrs it was just my Dad and Phoenix and I think she felt my Dad was her job. She was a border collie so loved having a job. He was home all day and spoiled her with snacks and I think she enjoyed being an only dog. Then he suddenly got sick. She had to be picked up and moved off his bed so the paramedics could work on him ( and she never slept on his bed) My dad died 24 hrs later in the hospital and Phoenix came back to live with me Jazz, and Dazzle. Jazz was now 14.5 and was no longer picking on Phoenix as a matter of fact the two old ladies seemed to enjoy each other but that only lasted a few months then I had to put Jazz down due to a tumor. When Phoenix first came back she was depressed, probably grief along with a change in where she was living so I went out of my way to make sure she went on fun adventures, she was born deaf with limited vision and had spent most of her life terrified of kids and strangers but suddenly she blossomed from going to the dog park.She became very happy and VERY social. She would get to the park say hello to the other dogs that made up our pack then the rest of the time she wandered visiting people even kids and everyone loved her as she was a very sweet girl. She was no longer depressed and barked for joy when we got near the dog park or the beach as she loved her adventures. She did get a bit depressed when Jazz was put down but Dazzle was still very puppy like and goofy and he seemed to pull her out of it. So yes dogs can be depressed but with time , love and fun they get over it.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:20 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,767,329 times
Get her a companion? Maybe she needs another dog like she had at your parents house.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:21 PM

Thanks guys. I'm definitely going to be paying her more attention than ever. Hopefully she will get used to her new environment here.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:10 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,756,499 times
Give her a bit more time. The dog is confused. Although she knows you and your parents, she has still made two changes of residence. Your old house, to your parents house to your new house. She doesn't know where she belongs anymore.

Give her some more time to adjust. Spend as much time with her as you can. When you can, get her a little friend - most dogs like a pack. Just the two of you most of the time during the day may not be enough
" pack" for her.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:55 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,380,452 times
OP: I want to live at your parents' house!

Old 01-27-2014, 09:17 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,102,579 times
She misses her companion as well as your parents. Maybe she would be better off with them rather that being stuck at home all day alone. She's lonely
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs