Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2014, 08:38 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,145,745 times

Advertisements

By vetstreet.com | Pets – Sat, Feb 1, 2014, By Kristen Seymour

Thanks to Drew Curtis' FARK fpr the link to this story with which I strongly disagree with their number one pick of a Chihuahua! Mine is often too smart.

Quote:
We recently listed the five smartest dog breeds, and, unsurprisingly, our readers were quick to comment on other breeds that show enormous intelligence.
Read the story with links @ 5 Least Intelligent Dog Breeds | Pets - Yahoo Shine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 10:05 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,925,054 times
I hate when things try to place trainability and intelligence as the same thing...
the SMARTEST dog ive ever met was also the hardest to train...
anyone that didn't know the dog would have called it stupid, it wound tdo tricks on command, had no recal, didn't like to walk o leash, didn't like strangers....
but spend a day and night watching the dog...with NO training the dog has leartn how to open the refridgerator, retrieve its favorite foods (after realizing she could di this he family rearranged the food stuffs so only dog safe items were available at the height) close the fridge, she could open cabinates, she taught herself to open the back door, move items to make aces to thigns easier
INCREDIBLY intelligent...just difficult to train...
she was an afghan hound

now ill admit, wowies can be difficult to train and are stubborn, but there certainly NOT dumb!

Old 02-02-2014, 10:14 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,811,881 times
These lists are ridiculous. Often no one thinks little dogs have any brains because no one expects anything of them. People will never know if their dog is smart if all they want to do is to carry it around in a purse.

Weimaraners and Irish Setters are very smart, often too smart. But they are very highly wired ,active, slow developing breeds that often wind up in the hands of people who won't or can't exercise them enough/ give them enough to do/ or train them. Breeds developed to gallop all day and that don't mature fully until they are three or more need a very particular type of owner. People often buy dogs based on looks rather than suitability and then complain. .

Tell you a funny story. I once watched an AKC obedience competition. It was a blazing hot, humid New England summer day. There was the ring where the dogs were being tested and the judging tent next to it. The dogs were lined up in the sun, doing the long down ( 5 minutes). The German Shepherds & Dobies dutifully laid out in the sun panting away. An Irish Setter, got up from his spot in the middle of the row of dogs, walked to the end of the line, where there some shade thrown from the nearby tent and laid down in formation to complete the exercise. Now you tell me who is smart !

Last edited by willow wind; 02-02-2014 at 10:35 AM..

Old 02-02-2014, 07:05 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,349,585 times
I've had the smartest breeds (poodles, shelties, Labradors, german shepherds, etc.), and I have a basset (5th on the dumb list).

All were super smart in their own ways, but the Basset Hound is truly the easiest dog I've owned. He wants to please and is very food motivated. He listens and obeys. Always. He is the sweetest dog.

My smart dogs were too damn smart. They had minds of their own. Chose to listen when they wanted. They even played games purposely not listening because they thought it was funny.

I loved all of my other dogs dearly. They are all great breeds. But I can't believe I lived most of my life without a hound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs