Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 07:21 PM

9 posts, read 23,276 times

Advertisements

My daughters birthday is ever approaching and my husband and I have agreed to get her a dog. I was researching breeds online, and am now looking for recommendations. We need a small dog that is active during the week, but can be lazy on the weekend, like my daughter. This dog breed needs to be able to handle long runs in the morning, and needs to be easily trained. I have five other children, two under the age of five, so allergies may pose an issue. I was looking at West Highland White Terriers, any musings on that breed? Any recommendations? Anything is appreciated!
Edit:
We don't have any other pets, but this will not be our first dog.

Last edited by lunasebastian; 02-16-2009 at 07:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 08:00 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,923 times
Active during the week but lazy on the weekend?
Small dog but long runs in the morning?
Easily trained and a terrier? Terriers are smart but stubborn.
Six kids, two under the age of five?

This sounds like a really tough call. I think with what you are describing I would look more towards a medium sized breed and a very laid back dog with all those kids - a mellow loving and sturdy dog. When I think small dog, I am thinking older kids. This would be a tough situation for raising a puppy too.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:41 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,660,266 times
Sounds like a medium size or smaller shelter dog will fit the bill! Please adopt and save one from a shelter. You will find many pedigrees there also, but a mix in the long run would be healthier. Times are hard right now, especially with the sinking economy and people having to turn their beloved pets over to their local shelters. There are soooo many waiting, in desperate need of a loving home. I am sure there is one just waiting for your daughter at a shelter somewhere. Good luck in the search of your new family member!

Old 02-16-2009, 08:49 PM

Thanks for the replies! Maybe a trip to the shelter next weekend with the entire family will help!Blondie- We have gotten all of our animals from shelters and plan on doing so in the future. My family and I are thorough believers that shelter animals are the best animals:]
granny- Thanks for your input! We'll go looking around shelters and see what we find! I'll be sure to bear your advice in mind when looking:]

Old 02-17-2009, 02:15 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
If there are allergy issues there are dogs that are dander free. We have a poodle, they do not shed and are dander free.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:51 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,733,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasebastian View Post
Thanks for the replies! Maybe a trip to the shelter next weekend with the entire family will help!Blondie- We have gotten all of our animals from shelters and plan on doing so in the future. My family and I are thorough believers that shelter animals are the best animals:]
granny- Thanks for your input! We'll go looking around shelters and see what we find! I'll be sure to bear your advice in mind when looking:]
petfinders.com

Shelters are good but I think rescues are better since they seem to want to fit the pet with the family. You should also consider an older dog that is about 9 months to 2 years old for the sake of potty training.

I read the book "Paws to Consider" but you should consider any other book regarding making the right choice:
Amazon.com: choosing a dog

A Westhighland White Terrier or a Miniature Schnauzer are good choices - IF you want a dog that doesn't not shed as much and you want a more active dog.

Dogs Good For Allergy Suffers, Hypo-allergenic dogs

Dogs and their Reliability With Children (http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/children.htm - broken link)

Old 02-17-2009, 04:37 PM

titanium- Thank you for the links, I just logged onto petfinder, and its wonderful. We've already found several prospctive dogs. As for the books, I'll be sure to check them out the next time I'm out. I think we've already agreed on a Westie, which narrows it down slightly.
ferret- We owned a poodle previously, and though it did not shed, it got agressive with my young children, so we're iffy on the subject of poodles anymore. We went looking at the shelter today though, and there was a gorgeous poodle who played with with teh two children I brought- the youngest. I suppose we'll just have to see!

Old 02-17-2009, 06:37 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,586,673 times
I think if you take the entire family to the shelter you may find just the right dog. Go with a very open mind as the dog you find may not be the type of dog you were really looking for but may instead be the right fit for your family. My mom use to take us to the shelter when were kids and looking for a new dog and it was always alot of fun. We never went with the idea of big, small or medium dog oe even certain breed and we always ended up with the perfect dog for our family.

On great dogs for small children I will say one of my parents last dogs Henry fit that bill. Granted he was A big dog. He was a collie malamute mix . He was so layed back with a very stable temperment. He could be active when you wanted him to be and being that my mom was daycare for my brothers 3 boys when they were little you could not have asked for a better dog with those rough and tumble boys. Henry had his ears pulled ,his tail pulled, boys climbing on his back like he was a pony. There was nothing those boys could do to him that would make him growl or snap at them and he was always right there with them and had a big grin on his face. He loved those boys and any one he met. Alot of time the larger breeds are very nice mellow family dogs that do tolerate children well.

Good luck in choosing a new family member. The people at shelters can often help you as they get to know the dogs and may know some great family dog that has been turned in because of the economy.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:41 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,850,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasebastian View Post
My daughters birthday is ever approaching and my husband and I have agreed to get her a dog. I was researching breeds online, and am now looking for recommendations. We need a small dog that is active during the week, but can be lazy on the weekend, like my daughter. This dog breed needs to be able to handle long runs in the morning, and needs to be easily trained. I have five other children, two under the age of five, so allergies may pose an issue. I was looking at West Highland White Terriers, any musings on that breed? Any recommendations? Anything is appreciated!
Edit:
We don't have any other pets, but this will not be our first dog.
Might I suggest the animal planet breed selector. Cool devise that will ask questions you answer and walla a wide range of pups that meet your needs. they will even tell you at what % that breed matches. My all time fav breed is the German Shepard that is supposedly only an 89% match for me a Canaan dog is 98% still it will give you a good basis.
Animal Planet :: Guides :: Dog Breed Selector

Old 02-18-2009, 08:06 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerowyn View Post
Might I suggest the animal planet breed selector. Cool devise that will ask questions you answer and walla a wide range of pups that meet your needs. they will even tell you at what % that breed matches. My all time fav breed is the German Shepard that is supposedly only an 89% match for me a Canaan dog is 98% still it will give you a good basis.
Animal Planet :: Guides :: Dog Breed Selector
That wouldn't be a bad quiz except they don't ask about children and their ages
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs