Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2012, 10:15 AM

1 posts, read 8,166 times

Advertisements

My 13 week old puppy does not pee in his crate or pen except if I put a dog bed in the pen he pees on it. He does have a cushion in his crate and does not pee on it at night. He also goes without any warning whatsoever. For example, he was on a leash in the living room within 10 minutes after he had just peed and pooped outside and he started peeing standing up with no warning on a good area rug. We tell him no and take him outside immediately but this keeps happening. He has been in his crate up to 3 or 4 hours with no accidents (except if there is a dog bed in there). He is having accidents almost every day and I do clean up with products such as Nature's Miracle and similar products. I am not sure what else to do at this time. We do reward him with good treats when he pees outside. He pees a lot and often pees at least twice when he goes out. We do free feed and water because we have a blind older poodle that uses the same food and water and she takes a while to eat/nibble through the day. He goes out every few hours but that does not seem to make any difference as he can pee or poop on something within a short time after he has just peed outside and even while on a leash. I know I could keep him in the crate and pen more often but how is he ever going to learn if he is in a crate or pen 24 hours a day. He is already in them a good portion of the day. Also, we have had bells on the door since we got him at 8 weeks and ring them when we go out but he does not make any attempt to use them or let us know in any way that he needs to go outside. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 10:16 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
No free food. Puppies that age should be fed three times a day.
This will make elimination schedule a little more predictable.

And if your dog has psychogenic polydipsia, no free water, either.

Check with your vet for UTI.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:31 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,377,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cole911 View Post
I know I could keep him in the crate and pen more often but how is he ever going to learn if he is in a crate or pen 24 hours a day. He is already in them a good portion of the day.
Stan made a good reply but I would just like to answer this question because it's a good question. I think what you mean to ask, is "how will I ever know he's trained if he's in the crate all day?" Am I right?

The puppy should be crated when not being supervised. Take the puppy out frequently at certain intervals (like every 60 minutes for example) and proceed immediately to the potty area. Empty puppy and reward. Yay! As stan said, it's so much easier when you feed at set times each day.

Once emptied, you can play, train or do whatever for 15 minutes or so then it's back in the crate for another nap. So rather than spending 24 hours in the crate, you're actually giving the puppy numerous trainings in the course of a day. Don't forget, puppies sleep a lot.

Rather than test the puppy's houstraining by granting free range of the whole house, once he has demonstrated that he's pottying in the designated area more regularly and you're confident to move forward, then you give him free range in ONE ROOM of the house. Leave for a couple hours and come back. If puppy has demonstrated his house training that in that one room several times then expand the area to maybe a room and a hallway. Then two rooms and a hallway. And finally, you'll be confident that once he's proven himself with those areas, he can be trusted with the rest of that house.

But that's going to take some time and he ain't there yet so be patient.

Just as a side note, it sounds like the crate might also be too big. If it came with a divider, use it. If not, get one. There shouldn't be enough space to potty in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole911 View Post
Also, we have had bells on the door since we got him at 8 weeks and ring them when we go out but he does not make any attempt to use them or let us know in any way that he needs to go outside. Any advice?
A word to the wise.... skip the bells. With super smart dogs, they can be very very dangerous!

Old 06-27-2012, 10:33 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
free feeding can make potty training harder but it can be done (i have 3 who free feed and have since day one...)

1: just because he can go 3-4 hours in his crate doesnt mean he can out of it...take him out EVERY HOUR untill the accidents stop (and if every hour isnt enough every 1/2 hour) once hes going 1 hour between botty breaks with no accidents increase it to 1 1/2 hours (if thats to much go back to 1 1/4 hours, untill again no accidents, once hes going 1 1/2 go up to 2 ect....SLOWLY increase his time between trips BUT if theres and accident go back to the last time frame that worked.
also stay out longer. its not normal even for a free fed dog to need to pee/poop every 10 minutes so get him checked for a UTI and if al is clear hes simply NOT FINNISHING...this is a common problem in puppoes as they get distracted easily so while they do pee/poop they often see something and stop before they are completly done...so stay out longer with him and LOTS of praise when he goes outside.

inside TETHER...he needs to be leashed to you at ALL times, and when he cant be attatched to you he should be in his crate,if you cannot watch him 110% he shoudl be confined right now.

in terms of the blankets in the crate this can bea common issue, dont but additioanl bedding in untill hes more reliable, (i use think towles when they are young puppies) thick bedding absorbs the liquid and reduced the odor enough to make it "comfortable" to lay in their...so no extra bedding untill hes more ontop of this.

h will get there but YOU have to be persistent.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:47 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
Search this forum for ViralMD's never fail tips, if you follow it to the letter it will potty train your dog, however, let me tell you at 13 weeks your dog doesn't have the bladder control and won't until they are around 4 months or more depending on the breed.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:51 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
House training puppy

Old 02-17-2014, 06:19 PM

1 posts, read 6,510 times
I just got a 9 week old standard poodle. I am overwhelmed. I just got a crate. When she is out and I catch her going potty in the house how do I reprimand her and what do I do after that.

Donna

Old 02-17-2014, 06:26 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
you don't..
you don't let her out of the crate unless you can watch her or have her tethered to you...
you take her out frequently, every hour at first when shes out of her crate and you watch her CLOSELY 110% of your attention...
reward her when she goes where you want her to go...
smack YOURSELF on the nose if she has an accident in the house because it means YOU wernt paying close enough attention...

she doesn't get free roam of the house until she earns it, and in order to earn it YOU have to be patient and persistent and give her every opportunity to get it right...

Old 02-17-2014, 06:39 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,349,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaGood View Post
I just got a 9 week old standard poodle. I am overwhelmed. I just got a crate. When she is out and I catch her going potty in the house how do I reprimand her and what do I do after that.

Donna
When you catch her starting to squat, immediately pick her up and rush her outside to finish. It's not a reprimand, it's an interruption. If every single accident is interrupted and every single successful outdoor potty is rewarded, she will catch on. The problem comes in when accidents go unnoticed. Constant supervision is crucial at this stage any time she is loose in the house.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:28 PM

486 posts, read 832,491 times
Where is the blind dog going pee? Is the puppy just marking territory?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs