Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 01:54 PM

457 posts, read 889,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by young92 View Post
I would videotape his interactions with the dogs. If he does finally get bitten, I would want video proof that it is his behavior that is bad.

Here is another approach - sign him up for an obedience class with one of the dogs. Fill the instructor in on the problem. This way you have someone who i not part of the family telling him how to interact with the dog. It might help him see how he should be behaving.

Ooh....I like the obedience class approach! I know just the trainer I could set him up with. She can be a bit "rough around the edges" if you aren't used to her style. I absolutely love her!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 01:59 PM

457 posts, read 889,630 times

I had not seen the video with the Rottie before....and oh my.....that's EXACTLY the sort of thing that he does! (The kid, not the dog. Yet.)

Old 02-24-2014, 02:36 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Maybe you can google stories about victims of dog attacks (especially facial attacks) and show him some pictures.

Ask him how he'd like it to go through life with no nose or lips.

He needs a wake-up call.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:22 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
The fact that the boy has no clue about personal space with dogs or even humans is interesting. That he has no friends, just hangs around the house, etc. maybe telling you something. That you have to keep telling him things and it's not sinking in, is even more telling.

Is he on the autism spectrum ? Sounds like he may have Asperger's. Often the personal space thing is a big clue as it's common with that. Do a quick search on Google - " aspergers-personal space"

You might want to have him tested, then get ideas from professionals about how to clue him in on appropriate behavior.

In the meantime, I would make it a household policy, to separate him from pets. Either with barriers or sad to say, by not getting any more fosters. If this kid is going to live with you, he will get bitten eventually. The dog will suffer for it for sure, the kid's mom will be after you, etc. I would also not let him volunteer at a shelter. One shelter dog biting him, may well mean death for that dog. And you already know how much damage a dog bite can do to a face.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:32 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
He's doing it on purpose.

If he didn't listen to me he'd be out. Or I would be.

It's the FATHER'S responsibility to handle this. Why is it on you? And why keep getting foster dogs with this problem?

I'd divide the house up into zones for the dogs and zones for the kid - with gates/fences.

Well, actually, I'd be moving OUT but IF I were to still live there, that's what I'd do.

Then I'd get rid of all the fosters and actually ALL the dogs. It's not fair to THEM.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:35 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
I may have missed something, but where is your boyfriend in all this? Is he backing you up? You need to impress upon both of them that this is serious business. A serious bite to the face could make that dog considered unadoptable regardless of the circumstances. If your bf is looking the other way, downplaying it, or just not wanting to deal with it, that needs to change. If it carries over to other issues in his son's life, that needs to change also, or you may be facing some other unpleasant problems too.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:13 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
To the teenager, you're just his father's girlfriend. His father doesn't think it's a big deal.

This is a battle you should be having with your boyfriend, not his son.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:44 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,060,634 times
I would crate the 17 year old, but I'm not really good with kids.

I think the obedience class and trainer may be a good approach. Sometimes you have to train a human with the same tactics as training a dog, praise and rewards when they do good, removing them or the distraction when they are bad.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:46 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,835 times
The lack of understanding personal space is concerning. Has he been evaluated by a professional about it?

Old 02-24-2014, 09:38 PM

263 posts, read 438,116 times
If you're good with dealing with dogs that have issues, you need to project that same sort of confident leadership towards the kid, but better yet, as others have suggested, do it with his father. If daddy dearest fails to take it seriously, he's disrespecting your authority (so it's no wonder his 17 year old boy does, and *that* will certainly get worse).

As a foster mom, your obligation is to the dog(s). If your home environment is posing a risk to the welfare of the dog, you need to remedy that situation by ending that risk -- the father & son get a wake up call to respect you, or either they move out or you move out. Otherwise, you have to return the foster dog where it will probably be killed, and then you can only foster easy dogs that will put up with the BS in your household.

The dog clearly has a good foster-mom, but not a good foster-family nor a good foster home. You have volunteered to be responsible for the dog & need to assert more control in the home, or move out with the dog.

I specialize in fostering aggressive dogs, and I know that if one of my foster dogs bites someone, it's not the dog's fault, it is MY fault & I would have failed that dog, with my actions resulting in it being killed if a bite report was filed (if I'm lucky, I'd be able to adopt it myself to save it's life, but I already have several of my own & one more means no more fostering).

I know, you love your boyfriend, blah blah blah, but you posted in a forum about dogs, not your love-life & relationships. I care about the dog. The kids needs a major reality-check, but instead of the dog biting his nose off, I just hope he smarts-off to the wrong person & gets thumped. You need to make-up your mind -- fostering needy dogs, or continuing to live with two immature boys that don't really respect you.

I suppose you could try psychology towards the kid -- when he sticks his face into the dog's face, tell him that you just saw the dog eat excrement outside, or (if a male dog) you just saw him lick his balls, then ask the 17 year old if he's into that sort of thing.

Another thing you could do is print out this response of mine & let them see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs