Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 08:36 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,709,295 times

Advertisements

Have you ever been bit by dog? What breed and in what situation? Was the dogs part of your family or someone else?

I'm just curious. I have been bit by several dogs. Mostly friends/family dogs. Usually small dogs. Some would be a Toy Poodle and Chihuahuas. So nothing real bad happened. The Chi I tried to pet and was bit. I was attacked by a Yorkie but again didn't harm me. I was leaving the vets office when the dog was able to jump away from their owner and grab me. I've had some scary incidents with medium/large dogs but nothing too serious, I try to avoid being bit by staying calm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 08:58 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,524,687 times
Ben bit a few times..
Worst wa neighbors dog when we used to ride on him a collie cross and he sat so I could get on and stepped on his foot jumped bit my face blood all over no stitches though.

I delivered feed and so had German shepard always bit me cured her though with a pipe as she was a sneak attacker and owner got mad as his dog not bite people anymore (Dumb A$$)

Alot of heelers on farms here and would nip and such.

Many of our rescues start fighting amongst themselves and I got in middle bit a few times.

Coon hunting once and holding friends walker back so black and tans we had both young could fight the coon well one pup drug the coon near us and the walker jumped to grab coon and pup so pulled back had teeth marks in thigh, but dog realized what did let go.

Cousins pit grabbed me once as spooked him but realeased right away,when he was younger though he would ripped me apart this was when he was like 9 years old and got friendly with age instead of nastier like some dogs do.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:06 PM

667 posts, read 2,887,879 times
I've only been bit once with a somewhat serious bite. It was my own dog, a Malamute, and he was young, around 6 months old and it happened when I put my hand in his food bowl. I know, dumb of me

All that happened was one of his teeth punched a hole through one of my fingernails.

My sister, however, just recently was bit BAD. Sadly I have very little information to go on. I do know that it was her youngest dog, maybe 2 years old. Good dog but something changed. It bit a person and since it was a pitbull, she was ordered to have it destroyed. However, she had to wait around 3 weeks before destroying it due to tests that needed to be run. Sometime in those 3 weeks that dog turned on my sister. Luckily she only needed about 50 stitches.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:23 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,709,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zig'sbird View Post
I've only been bit once with a somewhat serious bite. It was my own dog, a Malamute, and he was young, around 6 months old and it happened when I put my hand in his food bowl. I know, dumb of me

All that happened was one of his teeth punched a hole through one of my fingernails.

My sister, however, just recently was bit BAD. Sadly I have very little information to go on. I do know that it was her youngest dog, maybe 2 years old. Good dog but something changed. It bit a person and since it was a pitbull, she was ordered to have it destroyed. However, she had to wait around 3 weeks before destroying it due to tests that needed to be run. Sometime in those 3 weeks that dog turned on my sister. Luckily she only needed about 50 stitches.
I wouldn't say dumb for you. I can put my hands in any of my dogs food bowls, take the food away, take food/bones from their mouths. They are not food aggressive. I'm the alpha and I can take away. I wouldn't think you are dumb for doing the same.

Sorry for you sister. Thats sucks! Hope she is doing ok. Too bad they couldn't keep the dog elsewhere while the test were being run.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:57 AM

575 posts, read 3,694,032 times
No real damage but..

I got bit by a neighbors chiwawa (sp) when I was a kid. The damn thing chased me home to my back porch and got me in the leg.

I also got bit as a child when my father took me over to his friends house who's female beagle had just had pups. I was standing at the whelping box when the mother came out of nowhere and nailed me on the arm. I ran out screaming.

So, 2 small dogs got me and back then and unless it was extremely damaging, dog bite reports were not the norm.

I took a bite on the leg during training with my male a few months back and it was mainly my lack of leadership at the time, and his inexperience. He was wound and was unsure of what was expected.

My female is crate and food guardy so I wouldn't attempt either with her but my male will allow my hand in his mouth or dish while he eats.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:40 AM

1,510 posts, read 5,066,315 times
Well I worked as a groomer for about 2 1/2 years, so I came across tons of dogs a day. Was only bitten about 3 times. My first bite was a GSD mix, who I had on top of the table and was triming around her back end and she just suddenly snapped at me and caught my one finger. It broke the skin, but it was nothing major.

The second time was a little shih tzu who I knew was not the best groom dog, he got my hand. Didnt brake the skin but it hurt worse then when the GSD bit me. Little dogs tend to be more aggressive cause theyre usually so spoiled and used to getting their way.

Third time was another shih tzu who I groomed regularly, but HATED being groomed. I'd done him about 4 times before, and he'd always try to bite, and he finally got me one day. Not too bad though.

I was bitten once by my own dog, this was years ago, she was around 1-ish (shes 5 now), and she was chewing on one of those rawhide sticks and had the whole thing in her mouth, so I thought she was going to choke, so I tried to take it away from her and she bit me. I was a little shocked but then I knew she was food aggressive, so I worked with her and she no longer snaps at people when theyre near her food/bone.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:49 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,227,984 times
I had my nose just about ripped off of my face by a cocker spaniel. 11 stitches for that one. The dog's previous owner had kids that would pick him up by his ears & spin him around. New owners knew not to touch his ears. I was sitting on the edge of the pool when he walked over. I scratched him behind his ears & he reacted. No bark, no growl.

I had a standard poodle bite me, but it was a windy day and I think he was trying to get the hood on my jacket. He missed & got my face while I was standing up.

When I was a kid we had a cockapoo that was evil. He bit me many times.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:52 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,113,560 times
I was bitten during a street fair. The dog wasn't directly at fault, but it sure hurt and I did have to go to hospital and get meds.

And apparently, dog bites don't heal well.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:07 AM

575 posts, read 3,694,032 times
One of my trainers old decoys took a bite and he ended up in the hospital for 5 days on IV antibiotics. He had a bone infection from the bite. The bite itself was not that bad. It wasn't like he was torn wide open, it was just a crushing, bang and puncture.

My trainer said that when the wound heals from the outside first, the inside, if an infection is present, gets sealed in and spreads? Maybe I misunderstood but he said something like that.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:54 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,263,520 times
In all the years I've been around dogs, both living and working with them, I've never been bit. Sure skin has been grabbed when giving a treat, my mistake for holding it wrong and my pups and I rough house.

I wasn't even bit by the dog that scared the police officer one night He wanted to call AC to pick up the dog and I told him no way was I going to allow AC to be woken up at Midnight when I could get the dog. In all honesty, I'm surprised he allowed that and didn't push his badge around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs