Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 07:11 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,355,142 times

Advertisements

I used Rescue Remedy and most of the other Bach's flower essences for several years. Truthfully, they didn't do a thing -- for me or my dogs. I probably spent $300 on them, still have a bowl full of the little bottles here. I wouldn't recommend them.

We tried everything, including all the herbal things (useless), acupuncture, Chinese medicine, a medication from a compounding pharmacy, behavioral work with a renowned behaviorist (Patricial McConnell), Comfort Zone plug-ins and sprays, canine massage, Benadryl (just makes them drowsy), and I can't remember what else.

Finally when our dog was about 9 years old, we tried something that worked great and had no side effects. Xanax. Yes, our guy had his own prescription for alprazolam, and it was wonderful.

There is also a med given by vets called Clomicalm. We haven't tried it, but we might if we ever need such a thing again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 09:39 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post

There is also a med given by vets called Clomicalm. We haven't tried it, but we might if we ever need such a thing again.
Just an FYI for everyone -

Clomicalm is clomiprimine and used to be readily available at a reasonable price. I think I paid about 20 bucks for a 30 day supply (60 capsules) of 75 mg. caps at the human pharmacy From what I have read here on C-D is is either not available or if you can find it the price has become outragous, ie $10 a capsule. There was a whole thread about it.

I don't know if is once again available at an affordable price.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:35 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Give her BABY asprin 81 mg 30 mins before the goomers is due. That will help her pain from being handled! And since its a groomer she not met before there would be no personal 'hey this person hurt me!'

MJ is TOXIC to animals! Why would any vet in there right mind be giving it to animals? That's CRAZY!

Old 05-17-2014, 10:19 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,634,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
I've heard of Rescue Remedy... I'll read more on that. I talked to the rescue she belongs to, and they also suggested children's Benadril.

Marijuana... hmmm... maybe for the cat. LOL
I would recommend getting your vets approval before using marijuana. <---That is for animal use (not your use.)

Also, please keep your edibles and smoke-ables out of reach of your pets.

Dosing would be a nightmare (MMJ-Medical Marijuana) is trying to figure out human dosing, HA! <--I can say this from the legal state of Colorado...not only MMJ but also recreational.)

Medical marijuana for your pet? | Fox News

With the above link, please note that the glycerin tincture of marijuana has the pain reliever without the "head high." CBD helps relieve pain, however, you could pop a "hot" test, if you choose to use this product. ((This is currently being used for anxiety, stomach problems (nausea and vomiting), pain, IBS, etc., in humans.))

Benadryl is WONDERFUL, to calm them...

Have you tried walking her before walking in to be groomed? Perhaps that might also help calm and relax her?

Old 05-18-2014, 08:29 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,355,142 times
I'm laughing here, because as much as I love my dogs, if I COULD get marijuana here, I sure wouldn't share it with THEM. Lived my whole life waiting for legalization, and I'm still waiting...not ever going to give it to the dogs!

Old 05-18-2014, 09:27 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,816,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvABull.Denver View Post
Benadryl is WONDERFUL, to calm them...

Have you tried walking her before walking in to be groomed? Perhaps that might also help calm and relax her?
Yeah, I've pretty much decided on trying the Bendadryl.

I do walk her, but she won't go very long, a few minutes. When she's done... she's DONE. I think the Bendadryl will be the best way to go, since I have to have her relaxed long enough to get thru the shave and nail clipping, but not too long.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,717 times
Hello Everyone I need Your kind advice
I'm based in Tunisia , here they don't respect animals even vets have rude techniques
My dog was born on 25 March 2014 , he was a street dog , I could not adopt all his brothers and unfortunately they ended up badly.
I've called him Pepito , but my Pepito can hear my parents when they are mistreating me , he cries and I'm aware
on 24 th of April 2014 he became less active and suddenly denied eating food
I've begged my mother to take him to a Tunisian then the vet told me to hold him while he entered his full finger inside my puppy backside
my puppy crying and shouting from pain,the vet was guessing Pepito had an obstacle in his stomach
but he was wrong , Pepito had 41 degrees fever
he made him an injection and he told me that my dog is covered by it for at least 3 days
the morning after Pepito was very weak , he had again 41 degrees fever , I knew while touching the stomach , it was very hot
I've told my mother , she did not want to believe me or listen to me
I've begged them and we returned to the vet , it was a woman this time , she gave him Leptospirosis injection , she said that my dog is going to have blood in his pooh and pee and than he will slowly die and that she cannot do anything more , I thought maybe she could give me some medication to lower the fever but nothing
and she even suggested me to not hold my puppy in my hands and disgusted she was going to make him fall down from the high table as she was thinking he had rabies , I grab my dog from falling high
Same day I've urgently searched for another vet and he saw him saying he had Piroplamosis and gave him two injections
For 1 entire month I've gave him clamoxil and doliprane inside his mouth with food with all the care I never had from my aggressive parents and I've saved him , I use to wake up at any time late night to check him ,I needed to absolutely control the high fever , I've saved my dog but after the first vet that used his finger inside his ass and all the injections and stress he became sometimes everyday attacking me and bitting me very hard , sometimes I bleed ,but also very sweet before or after ,
he is like upset and scarred, his stomach is fragile , he has acidity and when goes in the garden he wants to eat anything,
I'm giving him smecta and it works
The vet he told me that if my dog will remain like that after 1 month he will be euthanized because Pepito was aggressive in front of the syringe as I had to vaccinate him from rabies on 6 July 2014
My parents are more aggressive , did someone said the same goes to Your parents ?
For tunisians , I'm good for psychiatric hospital because I love my dog like a son
I care abt Pepito because no one ever cared about me , now he is 4 months old
Here there is not holistic vets and no facilities , people rude to each other and materialistic only
they kill street animals daily on a very cruel way
I'm planning to leave from this country to find a better life for Pepito and myself
but I'm stuck here because the vet has not microchipped him and I don't want to repeat the rabies vaccine now , it's too soon but EU they want the microchip and blood test unless
only US or Canada but it's only to options not easy to realize
The vet has advised my parents to beat him
When I was 14 years old We had communication problems so psychiatrics they advised my parents to beat me
my life has became a nightmare till now I'm an adult with no rights and always threatened by them

I need a holistic vet to advice me what should I give to Pepito , a cure with no side effects
Pepito is suffering also from ear pain , I saw he has inside both ears something that looks like small fleaa with black or brown color
but it's like sort of skin removable with my nail but it might bleed and return again day after
It's not easy to clean his ears , he becomes very aggressive, but he does not have fleas thank Jesus
I'm protecting him with a good flea collar and some drops each month
Awaiting for Your kind feedbacks
Thank You
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs