Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 11:00 PM

757 posts, read 1,330,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Here we go. Limited, as I said. But anyone who's reading this can share pit bull friendly housing that they're aware of and help the list grow.

Housing & Insurance - MyPitBullisFamily.com

And if you know that you will be definitely moving out at and renting again, you do need to check things out and plan ahead before committing to a bully breed, or a dog that resembles one.
This list, as any list will vary according to the property owners discretion. Show proof your dog is not one of the many breeds that end up on the restricted lists. Some list will restrict breeds by size, rather then breed. Some owners just want to see a responsible dog owner and a well trained dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 08:13 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,455,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalPitgal View Post
This list, as any list will vary according to the property owners discretion. Show proof your dog is not one of the many breeds that end up on the restricted lists. Some list will restrict breeds by size, rather then breed. Some owners just want to see a responsible dog owner and a well trained dog.
(Moderators, please be lenient)

Not to digress too badly, but as an owner of a 5lb Chihuahua/Rat Terrier mix, that was almost killed by pseudo-American PB Terrier (My CH/RT was too fast for him to catch, until I picked her up), and sent her to the hospital after the PB attacked me, and sent my dog nanny to the ED for dog bites, I agree that the owner is at fault. I have no disagreement with the breed, just the mal-education of the owners. Personally, upon one of these breeds that charge, on my property (homeowner, not renter), a Model 29 does the trick, along with a lawsuit to the owner. No hesitation here.

Just my opinion, and first-hand experience that happened more than once. No wonder, back when I lived in the states, Lawrence MA required a liability policy of $100K if you owned any such dog (not that I ever lived there).

Just my opinion, no flames, and moderators, just expressing a sample size of 2, that is factual.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:34 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,881,196 times
as others have said, canine good citizen is a great idea...it shows YOUVE put in the effort with your dog...

would also be a good idea to shop around NOW for liability/renters insurance that you can keep on hand to prove you HAVE coverage...
for this PLEASE shop around and support ONLY companies that don't support breed discrimination (I suggest people do this for their home owners insurance too...by supporting only insurers who don't discriminiate against breed we can show the ones who do discriminate that its not an acceptable practice... (we shouldn't have to pay extra if our dogs have NO history of aggression/risk no matter what the breed)

and if your rescuing and have no absolute certaintly on breed (ive personally seen way too many "pits" who look nothing like pits (lab mixes, bull terriers, bulldogs, muts of varying degrees ect) list your dog only as "MIXED BREED"

don't lie, don't try and have vets say otherwise...simply state the dog is a rescue of unknown ancestory (truth) and is likely a heinze 57.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
(Moderators, please be lenient)

Not to digress too badly, but as an owner of a 5lb Chihuahua/Rat Terrier mix, that was almost killed by pseudo-American PB Terrier (My CH/RT was too fast for him to catch, until I picked her up), and sent her to the hospital after the PB attacked me, and sent my dog nanny to the ED for dog bites, I agree that the owner is at fault. I have no disagreement with the breed, just the mal-education of the owners. Personally, upon one of these breeds that charge, on my property (homeowner, not renter), a Model 29 does the trick, along with a lawsuit to the owner. No hesitation here.

Just my opinion, and first-hand experience that happened more than once. No wonder, back when I lived in the states, Lawrence MA required a liability policy of $100K if you owned any such dog (not that I ever lived there).

Just my opinion, no flames, and moderators, just expressing a sample size of 2, that is factual.
It is very unfortunate that your dog was attacked. Keep in mind that for every one dog that behaves that way, there are HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS that do not. I understand your outlook toward the specific breed. Any breed could have charged at your and your dog.
If you have had this experience happen more then once, perhaps you should look at how your dog is behaving, does your dog bark excessive or have a little dog mentality?
Many owners of small dogs need to train their harmless small dogs just as much as those who own big dogs.
Training is the key. Renting is possible with a restricted breed. Just don't be one of those people who will take your dog to the pound when you have to move. Know now, all the potential road blocks you may be faced with.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
as others have said, canine good citizen is a great idea...it shows YOUVE put in the effort with your dog...

would also be a good idea to shop around NOW for liability/renters insurance that you can keep on hand to prove you HAVE coverage...
for this PLEASE shop around and support ONLY companies that don't support breed discrimination (I suggest people do this for their home owners insurance too...by supporting only insurers who don't discriminiate against breed we can show the ones who do discriminate that its not an acceptable practice... (we shouldn't have to pay extra if our dogs have NO history of aggression/risk no matter what the breed)

and if your rescuing and have no absolute certaintly on breed (ive personally seen way too many "pits" who look nothing like pits (lab mixes, bull terriers, bulldogs, muts of varying degrees ect) list your dog only as "MIXED BREED"

don't lie, don't try and have vets say otherwise...simply state the dog is a rescue of unknown ancestory (truth) and is likely a heinze 57.
Farmers offers insurance for restricted breeds for renters.

And VERY often, breeds guessed by shelters is not even close to correct.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:48 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,110,516 times
I purposely buy instead of renting because I don't want to deal with this

Old 10-04-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalPitgal View Post
It is very unfortunate that your dog was attacked. Keep in mind that for every one dog that behaves that way, there are HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS that do not. I understand your outlook toward the specific breed. Any breed could have charged at your and your dog.
If you have had this experience happen more then once, perhaps you should look at how your dog is behaving, does your dog bark excessive or have a little dog mentality?
Many owners of small dogs need to train their harmless small dogs just as much as those who own big dogs.
Training is the key. Renting is possible with a restricted breed. Just don't be one of those people who will take your dog to the pound when you have to move. Know now, all the potential road blocks you may be faced with.
It only takes one to kill my dog.... no sympathy here... My dog ran to hide, and not have its neck broken... Tell me how my dog nanny felt when she was mauled, because she held my dog. Publish the numbers of the violations that such dogs create (oh crap, you are not a statistician... at least you won't release your credentials).... As a former engineer, I can show the numbers, and you won't be happy.

This is not an a web fight (moderators take note). Just the real stats that insurance companies use. You can say whatever you want about certain animals, but black powder with a lit fuse sort of sums it up to what I am used to... "Fire in the hole" No happy comment here, and moderators please be fair.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
I purposely buy instead of renting because I don't want to deal with this
Until your neighbor (and I live on 43 US acres).... lets his dogs run loose..... I give one warning to the owners... and then I trap them and send them to the local shelter.... Sorry, if you can't manage your pets I will, but they won't have any tags on them.

(Moderate's, please be nice)

Old 10-04-2014, 01:55 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,110,516 times
Quote:
Until your neighbor (and I live on 43 US acres).... lets his dogs run loose..... I give one warning to the owners... and then I trap them and send them to the local shelter.... Sorry, if you can't manage your pets I will, but they won't have any tags on them.

(Moderate's, please be nice)
Not sure why I was quoted in your dog kidnapping thread, I'm missing the connection between our posts?

Old 10-04-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
It only takes one to kill my dog.... no sympathy here... My dog ran to hide, and not have its neck broken... Tell me how my dog nanny felt when she was mauled, because she held my dog. Publish the numbers of the violations that such dogs create (oh crap, you are not a statistician... at least you won't release your credentials).... As a former engineer, I can show the numbers, and you won't be happy.

This is not an a web fight (moderators take note). Just the real stats that insurance companies use. You can say whatever you want about certain animals, but black powder with a lit fuse sort of sums it up to what I am used to... "Fire in the hole" No happy comment here, and moderators please be fair.
I am not trying to start an argument. I am very sorry about your dog. And I understand how you must feel. That's all. Put your fear, your blame, your anger any where you need to. I know I certainly would be.

I will not go into a discussion about how your dog nanny felt, irresponsible dog owners, or what you being a former engineer has to do with the OP post.

Take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs