Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 02:14 PM

757 posts, read 1,328,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
It only takes one to kill my dog.... no sympathy here... My dog ran to hide, and not have its neck broken... Tell me how my dog nanny felt when she was mauled, because she held my dog. Publish the numbers of the violations that such dogs create (oh crap, you are not a statistician... at least you won't release your credentials).... As a former engineer, I can show the numbers, and you won't be happy.

This is not an a web fight (moderators take note). Just the real stats that insurance companies use. You can say whatever you want about certain animals, but black powder with a lit fuse sort of sums it up to what I am used to... "Fire in the hole" No happy comment here, and moderators please be fair.
Why do you continue to ask the moderators to be fair, if you know you are off topic, why post. We get it, you are upset about your dog. It really does not have anything to do with housing specific breeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 03:34 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
I don't have enough reps to go around some great posts!

Old 10-04-2014, 09:24 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
It only takes one to kill my dog.... no sympathy here... My dog ran to hide, and not have its neck broken... Tell me how my dog nanny felt when she was mauled, because she held my dog. Publish the numbers of the violations that such dogs create (oh crap, you are not a statistician... at least you won't release your credentials).... As a former engineer, I can show the numbers, and you won't be happy.

This is not an a web fight (moderators take note). Just the real stats that insurance companies use. You can say whatever you want about certain animals, but black powder with a lit fuse sort of sums it up to what I am used to... "Fire in the hole" No happy comment here, and moderators please be fair.
Moderators please be fair?

Jeeze you keep posting inflammatory comments including being sarcastic calling out someone "Oh crap you're not a statistician...at least you won't release your credentials".

I was tolerant of your first post because the OP sort of invited debate by making baiting comments about the whole thing but you went too far. It is rude.

And you knew it hence all the the "moderators" comments.

Apparently you wanted to warn the OP that people might shoot her dog. Twice. Point taken. We GET IT.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:44 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Why do this to yourself? I agree with the poster who suggests buying a place before getting a pet. I couldn't imagine having a pet when I was younger, a renter, and without a permanent place to call home. To me that was REQUIRED before taking on the responsibility of a pet (much less a child). I have always been the type who thinks ahead and tries to make the best choice, even if I don't get everything I want when I want it.

I know things are different today, there are more renters and less buyers and everyone seems to get a pet before the security check on their first apartment has been cashed, but I'd still think carefully about this commitment. Not just to the dog, but to the problems you are setting yourself up for. You are making this choice of your own free will being fully aware of the realities of renting with a dog, much less a pit bull.

Choices, choices choices....some people always make the ones guaranteed to make their life more difficult than it has to be. I have a theory about that but I won't go into it because it's not nice at all. LOL.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:08 AM

Ceece but the same can be said that NOTHING EVER is set in stone...
I DO agree the op should find a place to live THEN think about the dog...

but I also feel that we cant prepare for the actions of random strangers and thus shouldn't be forced to live for others...
a dogs breed SHOUDLNT hold someone back IF they are willing to prove the dog is well controlled, properly trained, friendly and that the owner is responsible (ie by having their own insurance already ect)

Last edited by foxywench; 10-05-2014 at 09:18 AM..

Old 10-05-2014, 11:43 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
..........but I also feel that we cant prepare for the actions of random strangers and thus shouldn't be forced to live for others.........
Landlords rejecting applicants with pitbulls does not qualify as the actions of random strangers. It is well known that it is much more difficult to rent with a pitbull. It should not be a surprise to anyone.

I know that most landlords don't accept pitbulls. About 1/3 of my calllers are tenants with pitbulls who are trying to find a place to live. They beg, they lie, they try to convince me their dog isn't a pitbull. I can't take them. Then I get the tears and the sobs about how hard they are looking and they can't find a place to live. I have had pitbull owners try to apply and then show up 3-4 months later at my next vacancy, trying to find a place to rent with their pitbull, because in 4 months time, they haven't been able to find a place that accepts pitbulls.

I know how many landlords will not accept big dogs, becasue I am one of the few that has no size limits for dogs and I get to hear from the applicants who have big dogs how difficult the search has been to find a rental.

Why deliberately do that to yourself? If you know you are going to be a tenant, why go out and get a pitbull? If you must have a dog, get a different breed. There are lots of wonderful dogs who are not pitbulls. It will be difficult enough to find a rental that accepts dogs without burdening yourself with a pitbull.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:06 PM

Oregon, but that could also vary with locality...
the area I lived in TN folks had no issues finding rentals with pits/bully breeds....
the area I lived in ct...good luck finding a rental that allowed ANY dog (5lbs of 50...)
ive not been here in this area of NJ long enough to know what the rental trends are here...

I DO think people need to take these things into mind when deciding to adopt ANY animal...pitbull or chihuaha, in some states its neer impossible to find a rental that would accept either...in others its no issue at all...

Old 10-05-2014, 08:56 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,572,107 times
I don't have an answer for you, but I really admire the fact that you are thinking so far ahead before adopting. So many people don't. Big thumbs up for you!

Old 10-05-2014, 10:21 PM

10 posts, read 15,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
...the OP sort of invited debate by making baiting comments about the whole thing...
Oh crud, I did? Where? I honestly didn't want to do anything remotely in that direction, I just wanted advice! (I actually tend to be a little socially colorblind in that sort of regard, so let me know if there's something I can edit in the original post to make it less...baity...)

Anyways, I really appreciate everyone who commented with some insight to offer, I'll definitely take a few weeks to mull everything over before coming to a final decision one way or another... thank you all!

Old 10-07-2014, 08:31 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoAlbatross View Post
Oh crud, I did? Where? I honestly didn't want to do anything remotely in that direction, I just wanted advice! (I actually tend to be a little socially colorblind in that sort of regard, so let me know if there's something I can edit in the original post to make it less...baity...)

Anyways, I really appreciate everyone who commented with some insight to offer, I'll definitely take a few weeks to mull everything over before coming to a final decision one way or another... thank you all!
Well, you knew it was a politically charged topic. But even so, you said... and EMPHASIZED with QUOTATION MARKS:

"so-called "dangerous" breeds"

And

"finding pet friendly housing for breeds often construed as "dangerous" (regardless of the individual animal's personality.)"

As predictable as the sun coming up tomorrow morning, there was a debate and actually a little tame. You made your objection to the policies clear thereby inviting debate/disagreement/support.

Of course, that's not to say that certain people won't go off anyway, regardless of your wording.

I am shocked, however, that someone would expect a vet to lie.

ETA: HERE is the forum's ZERO TOLERANCE POLICY on this subject.

HOT TOPICS & ZERO TOLERANCE....pls read!

Last edited by runswithscissors; 10-07-2014 at 09:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs