Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 10:32 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,088,529 times

Advertisements

Hi-I have a little 16 lb. Bichon-rescue- and want to go to PA. to see family from Mississippi. He is like velcro and I think I need to take him with me at least this time. It would be as a carry-on in the plane cabin. I never travelled with a pet before. Any advice about carrying him on? If I fly on Delta with their regional commuter associates i.e. Comair or ASA-as a leg of the flight, how do I arrange for him. Will they even let me take him. It is hard to get a flight where I don't have to do this on a least a part of it. How do I get him up the steps now that I need to go on the tarmac and climb up on at least one leg of the flight. How do I handle suitcase and dog. YIkes! This scares me. It would be through Atlanta to Allentown from Mobile or Meridian, MS. Can I do this all with one phone call or is it a hassle? Thanks for any personal advice here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2007, 10:54 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
Call em. With rules and regulations changing constantly, only they can give you straight answers.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:55 PM

364 posts, read 526,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
Hi-I have a little 16 lb. Bichon-rescue- and want to go to PA. to see family from Mississippi. He is like velcro and I think I need to take him with me at least this time. It would be as a carry-on in the plane cabin. I never travelled with a pet before. Any advice about carrying him on? If I fly on Delta with their regional commuter associates i.e. Comair or ASA-as a leg of the flight, how do I arrange for him. Will they even let me take him. It is hard to get a flight where I don't have to do this on a least a part of it. How do I get him up the steps now that I need to go on the tarmac and climb up on at least one leg of the flight. How do I handle suitcase and dog. YIkes! This scares me. It would be through Atlanta to Allentown from Mobile or Meridian, MS. Can I do this all with one phone call or is it a hassle? Thanks for any personal advice here.
Only Delta can answer some of those questions for you. Comair and ASA will be smaller and depending on the size of the carrier it may be difficult to fit underneath. I am farmilar with Mobile Regional. I understand your in MS? Mobile has a very limited selection of large size Delta operated flights. Pensacola Regional would be able to take you to Atlanta on a large size plane that would have no problem fitting the carrier under the seat. I know that is further for you but may workout for the best.

I have actually never traveled with my 12lb Shih Tzu. Just observed others around me. I was going to once and was told by Delta I needed a health certificate 10 days before departure. I know you hold your furkid going through security. Since you mentioned climbing up the tarmac I would really try to fly a full size Delta jet to elimate that problem. I think it would be easier for the both of you.

Good luck, safe travels and enjoy your family!!

Old 04-07-2007, 04:18 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
Quote:
check with the airline, they have
some light weight carring on cases which I have seen in dog magazines.
do a search dog carry on cases. try doing dr foster. I have a Bichon she is a big one and would not fit in one. When I got my terrier she was 5 months old and flew to me in a small dog crate under the plane. U,S. Air she also need ed proof of shots rabies etc. It may be better to board the dog. I would board my 2 with their vet since if they got sick he would be able to take care of them. oh this carry on I have seen, you can carry it over your shoulder, with the terrier she flew from Bulington VT to Philly then to Tampa, and was fine. The airline at a last on first once which meant she was last to be boarder, and when the plane landed she got off first. The airlines may even sell a crate at the gate.

Last edited by maggiekate; 04-07-2007 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: to add

Old 04-08-2007, 10:13 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,088,529 times
Thanks all- Does anyway have any warnings-things to look out for or avoid-someone who has done this already. I am still going to consider the boarding as well. Thanks!

Old 04-09-2007, 02:25 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,852,270 times
Have you considered a pet sitter? I never travel without having my pet sitter come to my house. She spends the night with my girls and in the mornings goes on about her day (she is retired and does this for a job) with a first stop at her own house to feed her animals and then makes the rounds of those who only wanted her drop-in services. But it is a win-win situation for me having someone sleep in my house. The animals routines are minimally disturbed, the house appears occupied, my mail gets collected and the house lights appear normal. She even brings her own food, showers at her house and only sleeps at my house.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:42 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,155,259 times
How long do you plan to be away visiting?

Is there any chance you could drive instead?

Old 04-10-2007, 10:09 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Check your luggage so all you have to worry about is the pup. Talk to the airlines. Different planes can carry different numbers of pets in the cabin. They have 'rules'. Get a soft sherpa style carrier. You can squoosh them a little if the seats are low and still give your pup enough room. I can't emphasize enough how important that soft carrier is. I was on a flight out of MSP and a man was taking his tiny dog in the cabin. They changed to a different type plane and the hard plastic carrier he brought would no longer fit under the seat. The man was there alone and was in a real fix. I helped him out by running to the luggage store to buy a carrier for him. He paid for it, but there was no way he could have gotten there and back in time to catch the flight. He was quite elderly. He just threw away the plastic carrier and got on the plane with his pup. He had called ahead and checked on things too. There was no way to anticipate the airline needing to change the plane. Good luck!

Old 04-10-2007, 10:23 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
Quote:
Thanks all- Does anyway have any warnings-things to look out for or avoid-someone who has done this already. I am still going to consider the boarding as well. Thanks!
hi, I just had a thought, since you are going to visit family, what some people do, is ship by ups the suitcase. Or just back some clothes, put them in a box and ship them, then you just have the puppy to carrry on. Lots of people are now going this way to take care of checking in a suitcase.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:41 AM

341 posts, read 1,486,730 times
I understand wanting to take a dog that's close to you. However there ARE boarding benefits. Find a local reputable kennel. That's easy. Or have you vet recommend one. Ask to SEE the kennel area. Most have you supply toys, chewies, & food. Bring her little bed or a towel you've slept with for scent. Explain it's her first time & your concerns. Kennel staff are there soley FOR the pets & will help. They'll ask for a contact # and a vet # from you. Boarding will also teach her to be less dependant and that you'll be back. Do NOT become fussy leaving OR when you pick her up. BE CALM! She will read your body language and you will upset her. We forget they're dogs not people. We often put human emotions into them. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs