Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 11:43 AM

3 posts, read 10,154 times

Advertisements

Last night my 11 year old Shih-Tzu passed away. Two days ago he seemed normal. When we took him to the doctor yesterday because he seemed to be having a hard time breathing, the vet told us that he had an enlarged heart and fluid in his lungs (CHF). We already have a another dog with that problem, so we know all about it. The vet suggested we start my Bailey on Lasix and Benazepril and come back in two weeks. He said we are looking at a life span of about 2 to 3 years with the problem. I had no problem with that. When we got home Bailey just didn't seem himself. He kept trying to hide in places he never went. He would not eat his dinner. I gave him his Lasix with a little water. Later that night he started coughing and choking. I picked him up and as he rolled around in my arms, he passed away. I am still in shock. How can he be fine one day and gone the next. My heart is broken beyond repair right now. Bailey was the sweetest, most gentle dog I have ever owned. I just don't understand how this happened so fast. Miss you with all my heart sweet Bailey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 01:02 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,586,673 times
You have my deepest sympaties. I know it is hard to accept Baileys passing . People always think cancer is the worst but sometimes cardiac issues or strokes or other sudden deaths can be even more difficult. With cancer you can prepare yourself for the coming death even though you do not know when it will be, cancer is a calling card that reminds you time is limited. Sudden deaths often give you no warning no time to say good bye.One moment they are here next moment they are gone all this holds true for animals as well as for humans. To me that seems like a harder time for those left behind.All the years I have spent in health care have taught me to take each day as a gift as that is what it is, life is a gift. Life can and does change in the blink of an eye and not one of us is immune to that. I hope time will heal your heart, just know Bailey will live on forever in the tales you tell of him.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:07 PM

3 posts, read 10,154 times
Thank you. I will tell many wonderful stories of Bailey so that he will live on forever.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:21 PM

18 posts, read 22,233 times
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Just like with human death, the unexpected ones seem to leave us reeling with questions.

Don't torture yourself. It was his time to go, at least you and he were spared weeks of illness and potential agony.

My sympathies to you, cos I know how much it hurts.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:26 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,612,989 times
Losing a pet - is losing a member of the family... Not 'LIKE' losing a member of the family - they ARE a member of the family.

I'm so sorry to hear of Bailey's passing. I must warn you, whenever you're out somewhere and you see another dog that resembles yours, you're eyes will be filled with tears - and it doesn't get better with time - or it hasn't for me - and my Max has been gone nearly 4 years...

Just be glad that it was a quick and painless ending to a lifetime with you.
My deepest sympathies are with you -

Old 11-06-2014, 03:11 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,314,495 times
Oh, I can easily imagine how shocking and upsetting this is for you! I'm so sorry for your loss.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:34 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,250,908 times
P, so sorry to hear about your pup. Take consolation that Bailey died with you holding him close.

My DS had a dog die this past summer in the car just as they got home from the vet, where he had gotten a clean bill of health about 45 minutes earlier. Max had tracheal collapse, but the vet did not know whether that caused his death or not. DS decided against a necropsy.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:29 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,987,650 times
I am so very sorry for your loss. Losing a beloved pet is never easy, but I think it is somehow worse when it is so sudden and unexpected. Bailey will always be with you in your heart and in your cherished memories of him.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:10 PM

37 posts, read 277,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pthomp1256 View Post
Last night my 11 year old Shih-Tzu passed away. Two days ago he seemed normal. When we took him to the doctor yesterday because he seemed to be having a hard time breathing, the vet told us that he had an enlarged heart and fluid in his lungs (CHF). We already have a another dog with that problem, so we know all about it. The vet suggested we start my Bailey on Lasix and Benazepril and come back in two weeks. He said we are looking at a life span of about 2 to 3 years with the problem. I had no problem with that. When we got home Bailey just didn't seem himself. He kept trying to hide in places he never went. He would not eat his dinner. I gave him his Lasix with a little water. Later that night he started coughing and choking. I picked him up and as he rolled around in my arms, he passed away. I am still in shock. How can he be fine one day and gone the next. My heart is broken beyond repair right now. Bailey was the sweetest, most gentle dog I have ever owned. I just don't understand how this happened so fast. Miss you with all my heart sweet Bailey.
I'm so sorry this happened to you and Bailey. You have my sincere condolences. As an owner who just lost their dog to congestive heart failure I can assure you this is indeed an insidious and cruel disease. Our little guy never looked like he was suffering or in pain until a few days before his death but his lungs were full of fluid and he had become treatment resistant. We still didn't fully comprehend that he was actually dying because it was just too hard to face. We'd nursed him back to health so many times we just kept fighting but you can't fight the forces of nature. Believe me I know.

I am certain Bailey didn't suffer and passed fairly peacefully. It is very important to realise that CHF is incurable. Some dogs live years on medication but most don't. We were promised 18 months but our little Sossi only lived for 4 months. And it was really hard. He was in and out of the ICU on oxygen. He lost a lot of weight and had no energy. He lost his appetite, wouldn't take his meds unless he was manually pilled (17 pills a day). He bit us a few times. Our cardiologist tried to keep our hopes up but in reality the medication only buys you time. Sometimes I think vets promise too much which can result in a big shock for an owner if things don't go that way.

The loss of a pet can be like the loss of a child. I know I feel that way and my heart is also broken beyond repair. I am with you in your grief. I too have questioned everything I did, everything the vets did, the medications, what went wrong and how it could possibly be true. People tell me time helps but I don't think I'll ever recover fully. Somehow we just have to go on without them. They wouldn't want us to be sad or be angry or have regrets. They loved us unconditionally and we did the same. It seems impossible that bond can be broken. I often think of the saying, "The only problem with dogs is that they can't live forever" but they can- in our hearts and our memories and in the love we can unconditionally give to our family and future fur babies. Take care.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:13 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,767,098 times
I am so sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs