Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 04:43 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times

Advertisements

very good to know-I am thinking its trend in society maybe? what is popular and what is not? yet look at the stats?? not in Fla... anyhow ?

https://www.akc.org/reg/dogreg_stats.cfm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 04:44 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times
I had a GS (classic brown face and stockings, black coat. He was born 2 weeks before or after me (I don't remember which). I loved him. He was very intelligent, trained by the Army, and because of him I spent a lot of time wandering the city - long before any other kids of my age. Most people didn't come near me, and if they did, they were very respectful.

In the sixties and seventies, Shepherds where "the" dog to be fearful of. Eighties - Doberman, after - Pitt bulls. I think each generation wants the "tough dog" and Shepherds no longer fit that image.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:33 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,123,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
what an absolutely beautiful dog!

she looks like she might be a Shiloh shepherd? maybe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Thanks. I never miss an opportunity to trot out a picture of Terra.

She is a long coat shepherd. As a lifelong dog owner, with several breeds as well as several shepherds in my history, I can''t recommend long coats enough. The paws in the pic is our other dog, a rescue of unknown origin, and our house and my truck is full of white fur. Terra believe it or not barely sheds. Now when she is brushed it comes out in bails, especially when she is blowing out her coat in spring and fall, but it does not just fall off her like every single dog I've ever owned.
............Yes, Terra is an impressive dog. I assume she is quite protective of you and your home and family members.

I do have a couple of questions that you may care to answer or give your opinion;........................

...I am thinking of acquiring a 2nd dog..(as stated before, my current dog is a neutered male Brittany) (almost 9) that is a wonderful campanion, bird hunting dog and a great "house-dog"........However I do very little bird hunting anymore (various health considerations & will be 83 in April) and I would like to get a 2nd dog to replace (when the time comes) my Brittany......not as a bird dog, but rather: (a) a companion; (b) a protector of me and my property and (c) a "good-house-dog". I am widowed & live alone
on 14 fenced acres; have a gravel based 12 x 20 outside "dog-run" w/ dog house and a utility room where my dogs have always slept at night.......Also I am a great believer in "properly utilizing" an Electronic Training Collar w/ "Beeper", as a training Aid........NOT as a means of punishing the dog!!!!!!!!! I use the "Beeper" function as a signal to have the dog return back-to-me when he is out in front of me running and exercising. I also believe all dogs should be "Crate-Trained".
Question(s):.... (1) Would a Belgiam Malinois be a good choice?....And would a 3 to 4 month old puppy be an appropriate age for acquisation?. I would like to avoid getting an 8 to 10 week old puppy if possible due to my age........I would have the dog neutered at age 11 to 12 months.
(2)./ What are your thoughts on acquiring a Malinois from a "Malinois Rescue Facility".
I have had various dogs over the last 70 years (Labs, Pointers, Brittanys and many years ago a German Shepherd/Lab Cross) that my late wife got from the local shelter at (11 months old) and lived to age 13..
I welcome your comments and opinions.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:37 AM

30,527 posts, read 16,226,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
I have two wonderful GSD's that were mine, but, had to rehome and now I'm so upset they need to be rehomed again. I'm devastated I cannot take them I miss and love them. If anybody knows of somebody that would like these dogs let me know.

This is the female and my male looks like her only older and bigger.
good luck.

I honestly think your best bet would be a GSD rescue.

Old 01-15-2015, 04:57 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
STORMYTH--- Please get in touch with ― Rescue Me! ― Adopt Dogs, Cats & More ―.
They place dogs successfully all over the world- cats too. People register what breed and what states they would consider and then get in touch with you. A very valuable organization. That way you decide who gets the dogs and can have some peace of mind. good luck.

To it today
― Rescue Me! ― Adopt Dogs, Cats & More ―

Old 01-15-2015, 05:05 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,418,527 times
Montana: A few thoughts. First off the dog you are referring to is a type of Belgium Shepherd correct? These are beautiful dogs and a bit smaller than a long coat, Terra is 100 pounds, and the smaller size may be good for you. I don't know Belgiums specifically but every Shepherd I have ever owned fits your description. They all have been tremendous protector but they instantly turn into sweet, loving dogs once they understand the intruder is a friend.

I do have a bit of a concern about getting a puppy at the age of 83. Let's be honest, the dog may outlive you. Do you have a backup plan to find a home for the dog should you become hospitalized etc?

If you have 14 fenced acres what is the purpose of the dog run? Are the fences not equipped to keep a dog in? If you are looking for a good house dog, and a Shepherd fits that for sure, then why have it sleep in the shed? They can't protect you from the shed should someone break into you home. Besides it's cold out there!

Old 01-15-2015, 05:13 AM

621 posts, read 1,422,324 times
Malinois are very high energy breed!!!!!!!!!!! They seem to have an extreme prey drive and this is why they have become such great working dogs. In the right circumstances they are the right dog, but not sure in your circumstance.

If you choose to go that way, suggest you look for an older dog that will fit your life and energy levels.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:43 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,763,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
............Yes, Terra is an impressive dog. I assume she is quite protective of you and your home and family members.

I do have a couple of questions that you may care to answer or give your opinion;........................

...I am thinking of acquiring a 2nd dog..(as stated before, my current dog is a neutered male Brittany) (almost 9) that is a wonderful campanion, bird hunting dog and a great "house-dog"........However I do very little bird hunting anymore (various health considerations & will be 83 in April) and I would like to get a 2nd dog to replace (when the time comes) my Brittany......not as a bird dog, but rather: (a) a companion; (b) a protector of me and my property and (c) a "good-house-dog". I am widowed & live alone
on 14 fenced acres; have a gravel based 12 x 20 outside "dog-run" w/ dog house and a utility room where my dogs have always slept at night.......Also I am a great believer in "properly utilizing" an Electronic Training Collar w/ "Beeper", as a training Aid........NOT as a means of punishing the dog!!!!!!!!! I use the "Beeper" function as a signal to have the dog return back-to-me when he is out in front of me running and exercising. I also believe all dogs should be "Crate-Trained".
Question(s):.... (1) Would a Belgiam Malinois be a good choice?....And would a 3 to 4 month old puppy be an appropriate age for acquisation?. I would like to avoid getting an 8 to 10 week old puppy if possible due to my age........I would have the dog neutered at age 11 to 12 months.
(2)./ What are your thoughts on acquiring a Malinois from a "Malinois Rescue Facility".
I have had various dogs over the last 70 years (Labs, Pointers, Brittanys and many years ago a German Shepherd/Lab Cross) that my late wife got from the local shelter at (11 months old) and lived to age 13..
I welcome your comments and opinions.
No, I do not believe a Malinois would be a good choice for you at all. They're like German Shepherds on overdrive. VERY high energy, VERY high prey drive and can be challenging to own. A dog like that needs a ton of exercise (IMO more than a Brittany) and a serious job to do or they will be miserable and make their owner miserable. They're great dogs for the right owner but I would not recommend them for you. I've been around several when I was active in Schutzhund and they're a challenging breed to own and train.

If I were you I would look at an older dog well past the puppy stage. I believe a rescue would be the way to go because they should have an idea as to the dog's temperament and whether it would be a match for you and your situation.

Good luck!

Old 01-15-2015, 10:00 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,418,527 times
Yeah good call on the Malinoi. I was not familiar with the breed but a quick look confirms they are high energy. Like I said I was concerned about a puppy given the poster's age. An older dog, a rescue would be a great start, would seem like a much better fit.

Good luck, let us know what you decide.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:38 AM

7,380 posts, read 12,673,025 times
Hey Griz, good to see you here! A friend of ours had a Malinois, and he was training/exercising her in the dog park every evening, for hours. The dog was totally manic, catching Frisbees with all four feet in mid-air. So yes, high energy!

I'm partial to Shepherds, White Shepherds in particular. We lost ours last July, and we're already thinking about adopting another, as a companion to our new Shepherd-Sheltie puppy. I love the Shepherd mind--curious, loyal, protective. They do need to be kept active, though. If you're up for daily walks, it should work out, or maybe you could hire a dog walker from time to time. If you don't need a protective dog, but just a love-bug companion, I suppose Goldens are the best, but I've never owned one.

The puppy we adopted in October was 12 months old at the time, and even she is a handful, all puppy all the time. Chewing shoes, chewing cords, etc. She's fun, but exhausting! So I'd recommend a 2-3 year old GSD or GSD mix. Our First Dog (her name in this forum ) was a Shepherd-Lab mix, and she was the smartest, most loyal, loving dog imaginable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs